A way to enhance wen growth?

Alexx

So today i went to my LFS for some omega one and Saki Hikari (mix both to feed to my fish) and i found this MASSIVE oranda, pushing 8inchs. He was at a price that i couldnt resist ($40)! The thing is, her wen growth isnt very big and i like my fish to have a nice beefy wen. Perhaps theres a way to make it grow bigger? i know genes is a big part of their wen growth but i just want it to grow a little more.Their diet consist of mixed omega one, saki hikari, peas, and bloodworms. i also want to know what wen growth looks like. Thanks!

Hello, congrats on the new fish!! I hope he was QTed :).

Like you said, genetics play a HUGE roll in wen growth. I feed hikari lionhead which promotes wen growth as well as feeding bloodworms (also great for wen growth) and omega one as their staple. It also has to do with age too as some wens don't develop until the fish is older. My ranchu barely has any wen right now, she is also pretty young ;).

And don't forget, PICTURES!!

As Mikey and Gustave said above, food can of course help. Look at it this way, you can have the genetic potential to be tall, but you might not reach your full potential if you don't have the proper nutrition. So, in an oranda, genes count for quite a bit, but you need good nutrition as well.

Foods that appear to boost wen growth are bloodworms, and foods that are high in the amino acid DL-methionine, such as that found in Saki Hikari and Hikari Lionhead. Read your ingredients list before you buy. :)

Now comes the somewhat not very happy prediction. Realistically, if your fish is already a rather big size and the wen is not big, then it most likely won't get to some massive wen as you might envision. I'm sure it will grow some, but I doubt that it will be much.

Ahhh it's okay. I love her the way she is :P what does wen growth look like?

It's hard to tell a lot of the time, until one day you just realize the wen is bigger. There isn't necessarily any signs that show you that the fish wen is growing. :)

I think there may be different types of wen growths. I know one is called a "jelly head" here is my jelly head. DSC_0139_zps0a137785.jpgDSC_0117_zps76374ba8.jpg

I'm not sure what you would call this wen, but this is my calico Oranda.

DSC_0188_zps5a0f0e65.jpgDSC_0178_zps8aae1687.jpgDSC_0141_zps41e3c373.jpg

Not entirely. :teehee hers is only on her head, his is all over his face as well as the head. ;) I believe his might be called a lionhead? Don't quote me on that though. :P

Edited by Mikey

I just make up my own descriptions for wens most of the time because proper names are really hard to come by.

Lucky find on the new fish, Alexx! I hope Quarantine goes smoothly and we get lots of pictures!

I've found that feeding bloodworms cause the wen to grow more than growth-enhancing diets. Frozen bloodworms are my favorite way to bulk up wens because of how simple they are, but they need to be balanced with veggies to maintain a healthy diet. When I am looking for growth, I feed FBW 2-3x per week as a meal to replace one meal of pellets or gel. This meal is usually in the evenings for the last meal of the day because that way the fish have all night to digest it without having gassy veggies backed up behind the protein. Because I usually have a big piece of leafy greens in the tank at all times, I also take that out before I feed the worms. Feeding the worms last seems to allow them to move through the fish without irritating swim bladder problems in my floaty fish. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

I just make up my own descriptions for wens most of the time because proper names are really hard to come by.

Lucky find on the new fish, Alexx! I hope Quarantine goes smoothly and we get lots of pictures!

I've found that feeding bloodworms cause the wen to grow more than growth-enhancing diets. Frozen bloodworms are my favorite way to bulk up wens because of how simple they are, but they need to be balanced with veggies to maintain a healthy diet. When I am looking for growth, I feed FBW 2-3x per week as a meal to replace one meal of pellets or gel. This meal is usually in the evenings for the last meal of the day because that way the fish have all night to digest it without having gassy veggies backed up behind the protein. Because I usually have a big piece of leafy greens in the tank at all times, I also take that out before I feed the worms. Feeding the worms last seems to allow them to move through the fish without irritating swim bladder problems in my floaty fish. :)

Thanks for that hint! When I feed worms I'd been feeding them last just as a fluke. Now I know to keep it up and why! Much appreciated.

Just curious ... I saw several people recommend Hikari Lionhead for an oranda. Is this food considered superior to Hikari Oranda? I bought Hikari Oranda simply because it said "oranda" and I have orandas, not lionheads. What is the difference between these two foods?

I also wanted to add that I too have an oranda with next to no wen. I think he was several years old when I bought him from Petsmart about 18 months ago. I feed a wide variety of foods, including bloodworms, so I'm convinced his wen is small because of genetics and/or poor nutrition for the first few years of his life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hikari oranda is not preferred because it's a floating food.

Oh ok ... That's weird that they make a floating food for orandas and a sinking food for lionheads! I was surprised when I brought the food home and realized it floated; usually the higher-quality foods sink. I feed it very rarely because I have a ryukin who gets a bit floaty from dry food, so I usually feed the Hikari frozen foods.

Oh ok ... That's weird that they make a floating food for orandas and a sinking food for lionheads! I was surprised when I brought the food home and realized it floated; usually the higher-quality foods sink. I feed it very rarely because I have a ryukin who gets a bit floaty from dry food, so I usually feed the Hikari frozen foods.

From memory, the two pellets are very similar nutritionally. The only major difference is one floats and the other does not.

If you're going to feed the Oranda, pre-soaking should help somewhat.