Sign in to follow this  
Phillyn17

Marty has bloody and frayed tail-fin....

Hi guys....I thought Christmas was going too well. I woke up this morning to find my telescopes (Marty) right hand tail-fin strewn with blood streaks, and quite serious fraying of the lower fin?

I immediately tested the water, and half expected to find high levels of Nitrites or similar. The tests revealed the following...

pH....7.6

Ammonia....0

Nitrites....0

Nitrates....5-10

Suspecting maybe poor water quality, I completed a 75% drain of the existing tank water. I added sufficient quantities of salt to the remaining 25% to give the boys a salt bath for about an hour, prior to replenishing the tank to its' correct level with fresh water and Prime additive.

Here's the fin that is mainly affected....

MartyRightSide_zpse05cb20e.jpg

The opposite side doesn't appear to be as badly affected....

MartyLeftSide_zpsd502be81.jpg

He appears to be behaving OK...eating fine, and the other guys don't seem to be bothering or giving him any undue attention.

I'd welcome your thoughts on the subject....I was intending to carry out some regular water changes and salt additive over the next few days.....whad'ya think?

I hope Marty feels better.

Thanks Heidi....keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Poor guy! Hopefully all you've done and lots of fresh clean water will do the trick. He is gorgeous!

Phil,

How old is the fish? Does he have a tendency of brushing his caudal fins on the bottom of the tank a bit?

This looks to me like it's septicemia, and from the way it looks, Marty would benefit from a course of Medi-Gold.

If one of my friends in the UK can help Phil, that would be great. Just PM Phil directly.

Phil, if you would like to do this, weigh the fish so we know how much of the MG to get to you.

I hope Marty gets better soon, Phil! :hug

Phil,

How old is the fish? Does he have a tendency of brushing his caudal fins on the bottom of the tank a bit?

This looks to me like it's septicemia, and from the way it looks, Marty would benefit from a course of Medi-Gold.

If one of my friends in the UK can help Phil, that would be great. Just PM Phil directly.

Phil, if you would like to do this, weigh the fish so we know how much of the MG to get to you.

Hi Alex....(Happy New Year)

The fish is about 5 years old. He spends most of his time between mid-tank region and sifting the gravel for food (he's a greedy little fella!!). I've never seen him brush his fins on tank bottom. Equipment to weigh him may be a problem until tomorrow I'm afraid.

Good news (I think), I returned home from work tonight and discovered that the bloody streaks have reduced, and he's very active indeed, and wolfed up the peas I fed them earlier. The affected fin is still frayed, but appears to be healing (fingers crossed). Do you think it is a good idea to repeat the salt treatment tonight?

Thanks for the prompt response Alex (and the rest of the guys for their good wishes).

P.S.

I'm just about to catch up on your article relating to salt treatment....http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

I remember reading it before.....very useful!!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

I'm glad Marty has improved! I would definitely repeat the treatment you gave yesterday, and perhaps if called for, another tomorrow. :)

Good luck Phil! I hope Marty makes a quick recovery. I have metro meds but not medi-gold, hopefully you won't need it . He's in good hands. :)

Good luck Phil! I hope Marty makes a quick recovery. I have metro meds but not medi-gold, hopefully you won't need it . He's in good hands. :)

Thanks Becs ...... I'll keep you posted, the boys must have had too much Xmas food, and poisoned the water!!! LOL!! buffet.gif + i-love-candy.gif = bathroom-knocker.gif

Alex has friends in the UK? I'm jelly. :rofl

Good luck Phil! :)

LOL...What are you like?

Thanks Lisa.....Alex has given some good advice and reassured me I'm concentrating my efforts in the right area, I'm in good hands with you all.

Edited by Phillyn17

Oh Phil! :rofl Sorry for finding this funny! :(

Don't worry Becster!!

We're fish keepers....if we don't laugh at our experiences we would go nuts!!! crazy.gif

I'm glad Marty has improved! I would definitely repeat the treatment you gave yesterday, and perhaps if called for, another tomorrow. :)

Thanks Alex......I've done as you suggested.

I removed 50% of the water tonight (See image below), and treated the remaining 50% with enough salt for the entire tank. I followed your article and added 40 level teaspoons, and allowed them to bask in the stronger solution for about a hour, and allowed the returning water to impact the surface with some force to aid oxygenation. I then topped up the tank with fresh water and enough Prime for the 40 gallon (UK) tank.

SAM_0932_zps4b84a257.jpg

Here's one of the patient taken tonight.....still frayed fins, but much less blood streaks I think you would agree?

SAM_0938_zps930907d4.jpg

I intend to follow your advice Alex, and repeat this for the third time tomorrow night.

Thanks for your help!!

Update on the little fella....

Just before leaving for work this morning, I just checked in on the patient, and I was overjoyed with what I saw.....

The blood streaks have virtually disappeared altogether from the affected fin.....

The fraying still exists, but even that has signs of healing up.

SAM_0958_zps06833c69.jpgSAM_0957_zps6bae3b61.jpg

Thanks for everyone's support on the subject...especially Alex!! (P.S. Do you think it's worth completing the third, and maybe final salt treatment tonight Alex?)

Just goes to show, if commercial treatments are not readily available due to whatever circumstances, we are so lucky to have valuable solutions more readily to hand in the form of good old salt. It also reminds us of the importance of pristine water quality.....as that's all I can think caused the current emergency?

I hope his recovery continues at its' present rate.

Edited by Phillyn17

Oh, wow. That is quite an incredible improvement! Great job, Marty and Phil! :thumbs::D

I would go ahead and do one more treatment, but that should be it. The clean water, and you promising never to leave Marty's side again, should lead to complete recovery. :rofl

Hooray, Marty! I'm so glad that he's feeling well again! :heart

Keep up the good work, Phil!

Oh, wow. That is quite an incredible improvement! Great job, Marty and Phil! :thumbs::D

I would go ahead and do one more treatment, but that should be it. The clean water, and you promising never to leave Marty's side again, should lead to complete recovery. :rofl

LOL!!! Will do Alex.....I'll have my food and get on with the water change later. Thanks for your support....what a result!!

Kids!! Fish!! Who'd have them?? crazy.gif

Hooray, Marty! I'm so glad that he's feeling well again! :heart

Keep up the good work, Phil!

Thanks Tam!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

Yay! Good job Phil! Marty is looking mighty fine! He's a very handsome fella! :thumbs:

I'm just watching the 6 o'clock news, how's the weather where you are? It has been a terrible day for lots of people. I hope you are in a dry area. :)

Yay! Good job Phil! Marty is looking mighty fine! He's a very handsome fella! :thumbs:

I'm just watching the 6 o'clock news, how's the weather where you are? It has been a terrible day for lots of people. I hope you are in a dry area. :)

Cheers Becs.....it would have been be a bummer of a start to 2014 if I'd lost him, fingers crossed for a full recovery.

It's not too bad where we are...if you look on Google maps Lyn and I live in a village called "Wattstown". It's in the Rhondda Valley, well away from sea level and high up enough to avoid any flooding.

Take care yourself!! thank-you.gif

Edited by Phillyn17

Wow he looks great Phil! :hi5

Thanks Lisa.....emergency over!!! doctor.gif

Hi guys....

I'm happy to report that the little fella is continuing to completely heal. However, there are some black patches beginning to appear on the previously affected fin (see image).....

SAM_0972_zpsef27553d.jpg

I believe I'm correct in presuming that these patches are the healing scars of former Ammonia burns? But my initial water tests revealed no Ammonia presence in the tank at the time of his illness, plus how can we explain the bloody streaks? Would Ammonia have caused these?

I'm baffled!!! But happy with his progress......I'd welcome any views or opinions on the subject.