W/C Mouthful

I did a major w/c on the tank I am cycling, and I wanted to get that last bit but broke the water seal. To restart it, I couldn't get the water to go over the crest with the hand pump, so I put my mouth on it and ended up swallowing a mouthful. Now, I am not a germaphobe but am I worrying needless that I am got a mouthful of sand and dirty tank water?

Anyone want to share a similar experience?

Didn't know where to post this. moderators move it you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -Josue

I would've hoped that after many years of doing water changes, I'd be a pro at getting the tube away from my mouth before the water reaches the end of the tube...unfortunately I still do it far too often haha

I don't want to alarm anybody, and I do think that you are probably going to be fine. BUT I think this is not something that is completely without risk, especially if you are somehow immunocompromised.

Take a look at this article, and perhaps take steps to avoid drinking aquarium water

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039971&representation=PDF

(Cat, did you see that these are RI LFS waters that they tested? :rofl)

I sympathize with your concern. I think in the future if I were in this position, I would drink some bentonite clay (koi clay!). Here is a short article on the benefits of doing this: http://www.naturalnews.com/032549_bentonite_clay_health_benefits.html#

Even if it's technically possible for you to get sick from this I think the chances of that happening are extremely low. Don't worry about it. :)

The idea here is that while accidents may happen and while chances are slim, we want to eliminate actions that will lead to getting your mouth full of water, such as using your mouth to siphon things.

The chances of contracting illnesses from the water is usually small, unless the water is infested, but that's scant comfort for those who got sick from it. Look at those people who got sick from flesh eating bacteria in the river, or the brain amoeba.

While I understand that despite the risks, some things are worth it and/or necessary. Siphoning water with your mouth does not belong in that type of category. :)

Well I don't think that they plan on doing it all the time on purpose and I don't think they should stress themselves out about it happening to them once either.

Edited by Goldenhero

Alex's article freaked me out a bit cuz I do this fairly regularly :yikes

Tanks water also splashes in my eye when I'm refilling sometimes too :o

I'm pretty healthy though! At least physically, I can't speak for my mind :rofl

Well I don't think that they plan on doing it all the time on purpose and I don't think they should stress themselves out about it happening to them once either.

I don't think there is any reason to fret either. It's done.

But don't do it again. :)

I don't want to alarm anybody, and I do think that you are probably going to be fine. BUT I think this is not something that is completely without risk, especially if you are somehow immunocompromised.

Take a look at this article, and perhaps take steps to avoid drinking aquarium water

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039971&representation=PDF

(Cat, did you see that these are RI LFS waters that they tested? :rofl)

AHHHHHHHHH! :krazy::wa

Now I'm even happier that I have a pump. :yikes

I blame the LFS for making me have these eventful QTs with my fish even more.

All their fault for making me feel like I'm cursed. Yup :rolleyes:

Edited by Chai

I always use the fill it up cover it and hold it upside down trick to get it to siphon the only other times i didnt I swallowed a lot of water and flooded the floor , you think I'd learn after the first three times :rofl3

Edited by Gustave

I don't want to alarm anybody, and I do think that you are probably going to be fine. BUT I think this is not something that is completely without risk, especially if you are somehow immunocompromised. Take a look at this article, and perhaps take steps to avoid drinking aquarium water http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039971&representation=PDF (Cat, did you see that these are RI LFS waters that they tested? :rofl)

Yeah, pretty much anything is dangerous if your immune system is severely compromised. :(

Might want to get teach a dedicated friend to take care of your fish, in that case.