Biggest Rescue Yet, Need Some Good Vibes

goldiegeek

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best part: the owner cried when her daughter told her that the fish are all taken care of. The daughter said she hasn't seen her mom so happy in a long time:) Yay!

That's wonderful! Not only are you helping all these little goldfish, you're helping a dying woman find peace. Hoarder or not, she was probably really worried about all her pets, and you and your rescue partners have eased that stress.

• Supporter

they must have been well looked after though. i see some fry in that tank, meaning their conditions were right. perhaps she had more tanks and when she fell ill she thought it best to minimize the work load and threw them all in the one tank.

they look incredibly healthy :)

Okay guys, here's some photos:

Here's the tank when we got there.

rescue_zps2c31f467.jpg

Here's my hubby Bruce coralling some of the fish.

IMG_2223_zpsed102973.jpg

Getting them into buckets.

IMG_2221_zps8c320dc1.jpg

IMG_2225_zps7922996a.jpg

IMG_2226_zpsed314416.jpg

71A9D4B3-4EC4-4C95-887F-808AA326B9E3_zps

The tank water.

IMG_2230_zpscfaa496a.jpg

IMG_2229_zps4ab5ba6f.jpg

I wish I would have taken one of Bruce siphoning the gravel when he started. It was black.

The test results! Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Never have I seen ammonia or nitrate like this.

IMG_2234_zpseb32f5d0.jpg

All of them are in a huge storage container (50 gallons long) while we get settled. They have perked up very nicely in the clean water. I'll post some more photos of them tonight:) Beauties!

i didn't even know that blue came after green with the ammonia test. :donthit:

They are all looking good. We will be taking a closer look once they get settled a bit more. Definitely seeing some ammonia burns. Here's the scoop: the fish were in a pond...100 gallons. They came inside in the fall and went into to 30 gallon. Four weeks ago, the house was locked up and none of the animals (fish, frogs, cats, bunnies) were cared for at all. The house was cleaned by the daughter and her husband, so we were all good to go in. My buddy got the tropicals and two huge african clawed frogs. My girlfriend couldn't make it today, so she is coming to pick up 10 of the fish tomorrow and then another 10 in two weeks (so as not to increase the bioload with 100% of the fish). We'll keep the 4 babies here until the Spring. We don't want to throw them in with the big guys just yet, although they seemed to be holding their own just fine:)

So, from a pond to a pond. I call this mission a huge success! I'll post some shots when we get a closer look too see what you all think.

Should have seen Bruce trying to catch them. He is used to fancies soooo... :rofl3 It took a while to say the least. Those single tails are craaaaazy fast.

I'm glad you're holding on the babies. Clearly their old pond mates recognize them as family rather than food, but strange fish might not.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The big guys will be in quarantine for three weeks and then in with the ones she has...and these guys are little. There is a little yellow one with a black mohawk and a black little "nose". He's killin' me:) As much as I know it won't, I wish the black would stay. He's so cute.

Wow, that is a crazy amount of fish in that tank.

It's great that you are taking care of these neglected pets and helping out a woman going through this tough time.

Good job.

• Helper

WOAH I never knew that colour existed for ammonia, It's practically black! And I fell over backwards when I got a false reading (I didn't clean the tube properly) of 4ppm! I'd DIE if I saw that reading from a tank where I had got fish from O_O

WOAH I never knew that colour existed for ammonia, It's practically black! And I fell over backwards when I got a false reading (I didn't clean the tube properly) of 4ppm! I'd DIE if I saw that reading from a tank where I had got fish from O_O

I glanced at it after 2 minutes and was sad to see it getting quite green. When I looked over after 5 minutes, my jaw dropped. I didn't even know blue came after green. She asked me what the reading was and I told her "honestly, I don't know. It's so off the chart, your guess is as good as mine". I wonder how many ppm that works out to. No idea how these fish survived. I felt sick. There was so much debris in the substrate I couldn't believe it. But hey, 24 fish, four weeks, 30 gallons. You'd have to have seen it to believe it.

I was going to take some photos of "the closer look", but we're going to hold off until tomorrow. I really don't want to bug them tonight. They hadn't been fed yet, so we gave them some of their usual food along with some Repashy. Boy did they go nuts. It was like watching pirhanas. They definitely chilled out a lot after eating and are swimming around calmly. I've got them next to my pom pom in quarantine, so the diningroom has officially become the "infirmary" lol. Thanks goodness my husband is down for this. He got right in there. I think the water tests shook him up a bit.

Anybody think I should salt them at all? I feel like I should, but I'm scared to cause too much of a shift.

Kudos for the fish and amphib rescue. I had to look at my chart to try to ID the ammonia, it was so far off.

Here in Toronto we have recently had an ice storm and some areas have been without power for 6-7 days. My power was cut for 15 hours, relatively short compared to others. It is possible that the filter has been off for at least one day. Thankfully they are commons and look very hearty.

LOL Yes, commons are lightening fast. Trying to corral them would be like hearding cats.