Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

My Moss Balls got ARRESTED :(

:yikes I had ordered a couple Moss Balls from the AquaticMagic website & was waiting for my order to come. I was thinking I had probably wasted my money as I felt pretty sure the goldies would eat them! I was considering putting them or at least one in the tropical tank.

Well...............I don't have to worry about what to do with them............they were destroyed coming thru customs!!! :doh11:

The company has already refunded my money but gosh....I wanted some Moss Balls!!! Has anyone else had trouble getting them? (They shipped from China) but I have gotten things from over seas before!

Aquatic Magic does not ship live plants legally into the USA, often labeling their products as 'home décor' or similar. It is illegal to ship live plants to the USA without proper permits. It isn't a wonder that they destroyed your package, unfortunately. :(

I'd suggest not ordering from overseas companies in the future regarding live imports unless you can either obtain the proper permits or go through a legal transshipper.

Edit: To add: Etsy.com has Marimo sellers. I'd suggest checking them or EBay in the future if you want some nice Marimos. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Welcome to Australia. :rofl

That sucks! I'm sure you can find a seller in the US though. :)

Bummer :(

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It's a lottery. If they come to the attention of the authorities, they will be destroyed.

It's a lottery. ?If they come to the attention of the authorities, they will be destroyed.

And now you're (Jeana) red flagged. :o

I'm pretty sure the petco by me has those...

Petsmart has them as well. :)

My petco doesn't but it's worth checking. They're usually in tanks or betta-like cups with a green top.

Australia dont allow any plant matter or seeds etc to be imported.

How quarantine laws are very very strict.

I DID order them off an EBAY site! And I really didn't give a thought to where they were coming from!

It's a lottery. If they come to the attention of the authorities, they will be destroyed.

And now you're (Jeana) red flagged. :o

Yeah Alex! I am DEEP in the Moss Ball Trade!! :yikes

And obviously I would rather get them locally but just haven't seen any lately. When I saw them I just thought I'd give it a try! NOW I'M RED FLAGGED!!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by Jeana727

Petsmart carries some big ones around here. Way bigger than the ones that site sells.

Yes, Petsmart does carry moss balls, but they are a bit expensive. I think I bought mine for 7-8 dollars.

Peabody's Paradise carries moss balls, if you're still interested in buying online, they are very cheap, and come in a variety of sizes.( the large and mini ones are out of stock as of right now, however) http://www.peabodysparadise.com/shop/12-mosses

You could also try checking Planted Aquariums Central or Esty, like Chelsea mentioned.

I've heard some bad things about Aquatic Magic, I'm glad you got refunded your money. :)

I've gotten plants from China a few times before but like ChelseaM said, they were labeled home decor. I guess you just got unlucky. I will say that I don't think any of those plants did very well for me. The shipping time is awfully long and I wouldn't be surprised if the water in China is just different enough from water over here that it shocked them too much.

Peabody's Paradise does have very nice moss balls plus very reasonable shipping and prices! I've ordered from them twice now and been very satisfied. Plus I got my teensy, tiny, adorable nerites from them.

my local pet smart has them by the dreaded Betta cups as well, i try to avoid that area as much as possible ;)

sorry you didn't get yours :(

I've ordered from Asia before too, but never had problems. I never looked at what they are labeled as though. Never knew it was illegal... whooops!

Oh my gosh! That is a huge bummer :( Sorry they were destroyed but I'm happy you were refunded. I hope you end up finding some marimo balls locally :)

W..e..l..l...........they actually haven't been refunded. It was something else!

They have requested a picture of the envelope on both sides so I have to send that! I have a whole $3.80 invested here!!! I'll keep ya'll posted on this new saga!!

W..e..l..l...........they actually haven't been refunded. It was something else!

They have requested a picture of the envelope on both sides so I have to send that! I have a whole $3.80 invested here!!! I'll keep ya'll posted on this new saga!!

I had an issue with them, actually. I ordered 2 java ferns, and two anubias lancelota. The java ferns arrived fine, but the anubias were mush. They requested photos, which I sent immediately. They refunded me for one of the two anubias. I asked them to please pay me for two plants, since both were dead, and they refused. I escalated to ebay, and they refunded for the amount of the entire order.

I hope it works out for you, and I'm really sorry that this happened. :hug

Quarantine laws for stuff like this are there for a reason; think of all the horrible diseases, plants, and animals that've been introduced accidentally and wreaked havoc on the local ecosystem. Like goldfish themselves!

Hopefully, most people who go through the trouble of ordering aquatic plants online also go through the trouble of sterilizing them to protect their own fish from any bad things carried by the plants.

Customs and import laws in the US can be pretty heavy sometimes. There's even a number of restrictions on state-to-state imports/ownership. (Example: It's illegal to ship anything made from deer antler into the state of Virginia.) Sorry you got slammed, but like everyone's said, you've got plenty of options to get a replacement! c:

Check out substratesource.com. I got my moss balls from there. They are a bit expensive, but I've had no problems. They are still doing well to this day (they need periodic refuge from my fishies though). I got my first moss ball from petsmart, and I was hooked!

Check out substratesource.com. I got my moss balls from there. They are a bit expensive, but I've had no problems. They are still doing well to this day (they need periodic refuge from my fishies though). I got my first moss ball from petsmart, and I was hooked!

I can also attest to substratesource being awesome. Carole bought her large plants from there, and I've bought quite a few plants from there, too. Beautiful quality, and great shipping.

I ordered from their ebay store.

Going to have a look at Substratesource.com!!!