Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

Amazon Sword

I've ordered an amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri) online. It will be arriving sometime this week. I need help in figuring out what I need to do in/to my tank to support this plant.

I have low light (t5), Java moss, marimo moss, and elodea. My understanding is that swords do fine with low light, but would better lighting make a difference for the sword and the other plants?

I don't currently use fertilizer and I only have a thin layer of substrate. I plan to put the sword in a glass vase with gravel and a root tab. Will pea gravel be okay? Should I consider a fertilizer?

My fish pretty much decimate the elodea and disassemble the moss. I have a 2.5 gallon refugium that I use for a plant sanctuary--when the elodea start looking like green twigs or the moss looks like it could use a vacation, I put them in the refugium for some time away from their predators. I'm getting a clip on led light for the refugium because it is a bit dark back behind the tank. The sword won't fit so easily in the the refugium with the other plants in rehab, so I hope my fishes don't made salad out of the sword. If they do, then no sword for me. Some protection magical spells for the sword would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I think your plan sounds pretty good. Adding to the light will certainly help the sword.
The amazon sword is a root feeder, so I do not think that adding liquid ferts or CO2 will be necessary.

They develop a pretty big root system, so having the vase filled with gravel and root tabs should work.

Just make sure that you ONLY plant the roots of the plant. Do not bury the plant's base, this tends to kill the sword!

I think your plan sounds pretty good. Adding to the light will certainly help the sword.

The amazon sword is a root feeder, so I do not think that adding liquid ferts or CO2 will be necessary.

They develop a pretty big root system, so having the vase filled with gravel and root tabs should work.

Just make sure that you ONLY plant the roots of the plant. Do not bury the plant's base, this tends to kill the sword!

Very helpful. Thank you!

Sounds like a good plan with the vase and root tab :) just make sure you choose a container that is large enough to allow for some root growth both in depth and width.

Sounds like a good plan with the vase and root tab :) just make sure you choose a container that is large enough to allow for some root growth both in depth and width.

Good point! Thank you!

I have a HUGE sword i my tank it thrives and new leaves are growing weekly I have a crappy generic t8 daylight and that's enough for it, I use a tiny bit of flourish 2x week but its more for my java fern in the tank. Indeed yours should be fine, just a few things that I know for sure don't bury the base (there will be a clump of roots that the actuall leaves are attached to that then under the clump branch out to stringy roots) that needs to be above the substrate, it looks like it isn't supposed to be planted like but its the way it needs to be. It will roots its whisps roots but needs the clump above.

Also my only concern is the size of the vase, the roots love to stretch out like a tree, if the vase is too small or constricting you might have issues with it growing. Good luck, my fave plant by far in all of my tanks combined. Mine is now a good over 15" tall and still growing!

Edited by Abyss

I have a HUGE sword i my tank it thrives and new leaves are growing weekly I have a crappy generic t8 daylight and that's enough for it, I use a tiny bit of flourish 2x week but its more for my java fern in the tank. Indeed yours should be fine, just a few things that I know for sure don't bury the base (there will be a clump of roots that the actuall leaves are attached to that then under the clump branch out to stringy roots) that needs to be above the substrate, it looks like it isn't supposed to be planted like but its the way it needs to be. It will roots its whisps roots but needs the clump above.

Also my only concern is the size of the vase, the roots love to stretch out like a tree, if the vase is too small or constricting you might have issues with it growing. Good luck, my fave plant by far in all of my tanks combined. Mine is now a good over 15" tall and still growing!

Thank you for this. What you wrote makes me excited about getting this new plant!