Upgrading aquarium question

Hello! If there is a duplicate topic, please feel free to direct me to it and lock. I've been googling this and forum searching this, but seem to not be able to find an answer haha. But it's probably there somewhere...

I do hope to upgrade from a 29 gallon to a 55-60 gallon aquarium. The gravel in my current aquarium has been with me for about 2 years. But the thing is I kinda want new gravel for my goldies since I will have to buy more gravel for the bigger aquarium and the color that I have now are sold out everywhere. So might as well start new.

The question is, if I move everything but the gravel, will it affect my tank cycle? Can I add the fish right away? I will be moving the old filter media, old tank water, and I have a bunch of live anubias and java fern.

Some of the BBs that cycle your water reside in the gravel. You could put your current gravel in mesh bags and add them to your new aquarium, removing a bag or 2 per week from your newly set up tank.

You can move the fish right away as long as you are moving the old filter(s) and/or media along with the fish. Are you adding more fish also?

You don't need to use the old tank water as it is the filter media and to a lesser extent the decor (gravel, plants,etc) that hold the BB that keep your cycle running smoothly.

In any case, whenever you set up a new tank, you'll want to test often for ammonia and nitrite in case there is a bit of a cycle bump. :D

I just had my water tested at Petco and she told me my water is perfect! I feel very fortunate to have good water parameters. I will probably do the mesh bag idea! Or just keep the same gravel haha.

Cause when I started fish keeping, I just set up a tank and put all the fish at the same time. None died (thankfully) and I should have read up more before. But I know I won't be so lucky now. xD

I am not adding anymore fish. It is SO tempting, but I know I shouldn't haha. My buddies have been with me for over a year now and have been with me through a house move when I moved out from my parents and when I graduated college. So they have been with me through everything. :( That's why I don't want anything to happen to them. :o( But I know they will be happier in a bigger tank. So thank you for the suggestion!

Edited by orangeboar

Just a suggestion.....you should get a water test kit (API drop kit is great). Usually when the pet stores "test" your water it is with strips & they aren't real accurate. The drop tests let you REALLY get a good look at what is going on in there!

Congrats on your aquarium upgrade!!

Yes, please get a test kit. It is possible that you will get some ammonia/nitrite because you lost some bacteria. If that happens, you need to know about it so you can change more water.