What the heck happened!

Alexx

Every week I test my water to see if there's any problems. Well this week the results were

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 4pmm

Nitrate: 40-80 ppm

All the other weeks before were perfect. Is it a cycle crash? Do I need to take out my fish? How much water should I change? My tank is a 40 gallon with 3 fish. Water changes done twice a week of 50%. Help Guys!!

Test the tap, Alexx, before you do the change. If the tap water doesn't show the ammonia and nitrites, do a 100% ASAP and then post the ph numbers for Fantail.

If the tap water has high nitrites, post that back here and someone will think of a solution.

By perfect I mean 0 on ammonia nitrite an nitrate. I'm using the API test kit. The weird thing is my tap water has no nitrites and nitrates o.o my tap PH is 8.4 but my tank PH is around 6.8. Idk how's that's working??

Thats too big of a ph swing for a huge water change. It is also very unlikely that all other readings have always been zero. That would mean the fish are not eating, breathing, or excreting any waste at all. Has your test kit or test procedure changed?

Have you used a different test kit prior to this test? Is this kit new?

Have you changed how you test?

I could see your values being zeros before if you've had the cycle for a long time. How old is the tank? How often do you test your water? Are you adding a buffer or PH-adjuster to your tank of any kind?

Edited by ChelseaM

i have two 7inch orandas and one 4inch oranda. i did recently get a new test kit from amazon. i dont use any buffers or such. the tank is about a year old. the nitrates would jump from 0~20 at times.

Ok I have a couple thoughts...

Your old test kit may have been giving bad results

The numbers you posted dont surprise me because you only have 13.3 gallons per fish.

I would try to do 50% water changes twice a week and see if that works.

Also, I'm not an expert so wait to see what others say.

Edited by DieselPlower

Chelsea where would the nitrate go though? Can't always be zero...?

Mine are always so low they're unreadable, if not a clear zero. :idont

I'd be careful about even doing 50% with that PH difference. It's massive. :o

Is there a way you could set up a couple of containers and do an experiment for the mod team, Alexx? I'd get a couple of Tupperware bowls or buckets that hold at least 1gal of water, fill them and test the PH. Add an air stone to one container running on low. Let both containers sit out for 12hours then retest the ph. We need to see how fast it is dropping.

Edited by ChelseaM

I would do a 40% WC ASAP. That will be a big pH change but its going from low to high so they should tolerate it just fine. The amount of nitrites is toxic and needs to be lowered. Also add 1 tsp aquarium salt per 10 gallons. After you've done that please retest pH and nitrite and report back.

Once you've done that we will decide what to do next. We need to find out your KH but I can only guess its low. Do you have baking soda around?

Do you have aquarium salt or canning and picking salt?

If not, you can get both baking soda and Morton's canning & pickling salt at just about any grocery store. Both are typically in the baking aisle and should cost $5 or less total. :)