Second hand filters?

Lis.

Hi guys,

I'm looking at filters for the new tank, and with it being around 500 litres, I'm going to need a lot of filtration. I've been looking at fluval fx5's on ebay. They're just over £200 new (ouch), but I've found a couple of used ones that will obviously go for much less. Has anyone ever bought a second hand filter? Would you?

If not, what filters would you recommend? I have an all pond solutions filter which is great value for money, but quite difficult to get started after maintainance, so I'm not sure I want to go down that route again if I can find something better for reasonable money.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

One of my filters was used (it came with the used tank) and has worked fine. I bleached it and replaced the media. I certainly would buy a used filter again although I think that I would want to hold it in my hands before buying.

I would also just bleach a bew filter.

The thing that I like about new filters is that the better models come with a warranty. I know for a fact that the fx5 comes with a one year warranty which you wouldn't get with a used one.

Almost all my Aquaclears, from 20s to 70s, were bought used.They work really well, though can be noisy. I let the biomedia dry out completely before I reuse it. This will kill the water borne bacteria, both good and bad. You can bleach or replace the biomedia if you wish. Used ACs in my area are very inexpensive. Impellers and motors from AC 20-70s are interchangeable, so I have a large parts bin that I use for repairs.

In buying used filters remove the motor and impeller and ensure the impeller blades are all intact. The blades can break off, which means you need to replace it. Ensure that the sponge and biomedia are present and are in good shape. Ensure the body has no stress cracks and the covers are all present. Used filters should go for at least half the price of new.

Thanks everyone :) I went and collected an fx5 the other day, and saw it working. I also bought a second fx5 on ebay, haven't seen that working, but they had 100% feedback so I'm hoping for the best haha