Sign in to follow this  
little_washu

Can Males and Females get along as tankmates?

Been a long time since I've posted, my Ryukin, Yamato has been doing really well, he's about a year and a half old now. Sadly he's been plagued by floating issues so I have had to keep him on a strict blanched peas diet. Anyways, I figured it would cheer him up to have a buddy in the tank with him, so I purchased and quarantined a beautiful Black Moor who I just introduced to the tank yesterday. The Black Moor, Othello, made himself right at home but almost immediately began chasing Yamato all over the tank. Yamato swam away with great speed at first but over the past day has gotten more and more apathetic about the whole thing and Othello now spends his time headbutting Yamato.

I was really confused at first why the new fish would show this kind of aggression towards the established fish, especially since Yamato is larger, but then in dawned on me: THIS WAS MATING BEHAVIOR :no: Yamato might be a female...whoops :I-Thank-You:

So I guess I'll just let nature take it's course and hope that maybe if Yamato lays some eggs it may help with HER floating issues a bit. My one concern that I wanted to bring up for discussion (and something I haven't found a straight answer to so far), how do male and female goldfish get along when they're not breeding? Can they coexist happily in a tank? Does this chasing behavior happen year-round?

I don't want Yamato to be harrassed everyday all day for the rest of her breeding life so I'm hoping this only happens at certain times of the year. Also, is there anything that can be done to discourage breeding season, like raising water temp, etc? Thanks in advance for your insight!

With the exception of changes during spawning, male and female goldfish will exist peacefully in a tank.

With the exception of changes during spawning, male and female goldfish will exist peacefully in a tank.

Yup Just look at my tank ...Charlie and Sunkist are the best of Buds. :)

DSC_0007_zps12526167.jpg

If she looks tired, try putting her in a colander for a little while or maybe get a divider and separate them for a "time out" if they aren't in breeding mode, they live perfectly fine as long as the other fish aren't bullies to the female at all times. If that is the case, you will need to permanently divide them, rehome one of them, or set up another tank for one. What size tank do you have now? It is recommended 15-20 gallons per fish.

Currently I have the two of them in a 29 gallon tank. They each have a lot of space since I have no decorations other then a few plants. I'll keep an eye on Yamato and if she is looking exhausted I'll try to separate her for a break. Glad to hear that this isn't year round though and that they can get along ok because I really like both of them and I don't have the space to set up a second tank at the moment.

They're both quite charming fish so I'll try to get some pictures of them up later :)

Edited by little_washu

Yes the colander worked with me! I got a new fish like you and he bothered everyone. Mind you this was NOT breeding behavior in my case; he was simply trying to establish pecking order I believe. He was the smallest and was harassing fish 3x his size - male and female!

I put him in the colander overnight. He lost interest when I let him back out and never bothered the other fish again. :-)

My breeding males only chase the female while spawning, then stop once the deed is done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Currently I have the two of them in a 29 gallon tank. They each have a lot of space since I have no decorations other then a few plants. I'll keep an eye on Yamato and if she is looking exhausted I'll try to separate her for a break. Glad to hear that this isn't year round though and that they can get along ok because I really like both of them and I don't have the space to set up a second tank at the moment.

They're both quite charming fish so I'll try to get some pictures of them up later :)

Is the fish your talking about the one in your Sig, if So I would like to Highly suggest a 50 gallon tank ..... My two are in a 50 gallon tank and are quite happy. Your maybe doing this because the lack of space, it may look big enough for you but in all reality these fish get really big and they are used to more space than 15 gallons or less each.. try to aim for 20 gallons per fish as a min and you will find them alot more happier :)

Is the fish your talking about the one in your Sig, if So I would like to Highly suggest a 50 gallon tank ..... My two are in a 50 gallon tank and are quite happy. Your maybe doing this because the lack of space, it may look big enough for you but in all reality these fish get really big and they are used to more space than 15 gallons or less each.. try to aim for 20 gallons per fish as a min and you will find them alot more happier :)

Very true ... overcrowding can cause bullying too as the fish are competing for valuable real estate! I am pretty sure this is what happened in my case. I am not sure how big your fish are now but the 29 gal will be too small as they grow. In the meantime, be sure to do frequent and large water changes - say, 60-75% twice a week.

Be creative with space! My boyfriend lives in a tiny 1 bd apartment but MAKES room for his 3 tanks, LOL. He has a 20 gal on top of a dresser, a 36 gal on top of another dresser, and a 50 gal on a tank stand in the middle of the bedroom. Just be sure whatever you put the tank on can support the weight, of course. I would rather get a bigger tank for both fish than get a small separate tank, since most fish enjoy the company of others (although there are a few exceptions - goldfish have different personalities just like us).

Good luck! :-)

UPDATE!

My black moor seems to have gotten the hint that the other fish isn't a female as the behavior tapered off over the course of the week. Both fish are getting along swimmingly now :P

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm relieved that everything is working out and my existing fish is even actively interacting with his new tank mate ^^