Sign in to follow this  
Andy228

Ranchu with pinkish spot/ucler on gill cover

Thanks fantail. One more week of qt before I place the nerite in main tank. Will 0.1% kill them?

Helen she usually come to the surface and gulp some air at start of feeding. Afterward she goes to the bottom looking for food. Sometimes I see air bubbles coming out of her gills after she gulped air.

Thanks fantail. One more week of qt before I place the nerite in main tank. Will 0.1% kill them?

Helen she usually come to the surface and gulp some air at start of feeding. Afterward she goes to the bottom looking for food. Sometimes I see air bubbles coming out of her gills after she gulped air.

Red spot is gone. In qt with other two ryukins getting prazi and salt. She is still eatting well floaty afterward and sometimes upside down on the bottom of the tank.

IMG_20140224_104645_zpsq3kogpws.jpg

Edited by Andy228

It's unfortunate, but I think the only way to keep this fish from reverting back to this issue is to do a very low water depth container. This is a problem that sometimes happen with telescopes and other compact bodied goldfish. :(

Dnalex,

During a wc yesterday, I noticed a red area in mustard's back. Its the area expose above surface of water when she swimming close to the water line.

I did a 0.3% salt dip for 5 minutes today. Is it just redden from exposure to air?

_20140319_193221_zpsglxcbm5h.jpg

Edited by Andy228

Hello Andy,

I think that is definitely the result of exposure to air and drying out of his skin, leading to irritation and ulceration.

Is he still completely floaty?

Mustard never had issue with floatyness. However, I have seen her occasionally hanging out by the surface. No other symptoms. Gave them some cooked deshelled peas today. Will do two more salt dip and see.

Thank you for telling me that. Let me know how goes in the next couple of days.

Redness on back is gone. However, there is a small red spot right gill cover. Opposite side where she had the healed ulcer. Hopefully it is not the same thing. WC and 3% salt dip today. Photo bucket is not working so I can't upload.

Hold off on any treatment for now, because I think it could be something that will resolve on its own. :)

I just wanted to check...he's had 1 full treatment with MMs, right?

Also, if there is no salt in the water, you could add to 0.1%, if you like.

No mms. Just 10 days of kanaplex then 8 days of Melafix which cured left size ulcer. I might move her to Qt and treat with 0.1% salt or wait and see first. Thx

Left sided gill plate ulcer

How are things today? If there is no change, I may suggest the MMs, but I would like to see him/her prior to that, if possible. :)

Dapped the right gill red spot with hydrogen peroxide 2 days ago and its gone. Bad news is she hangs out by water surface tilted to eithet right or left side. She can correct herself. Also noted a red spot on her right, lower back. Took photos but unable to photobucket from phone. She is eating well. Gave frozen bs spirulina today.

I will wait for photos, but I think we may need MMs :/

Mustard was floating by the surface in this position yesterday. The red spot to her right lower back looks lighter today.

IMG_20140325_205401_zps1933db27.jpg

IMG_20140325_205439_zps78d49869.jpg

Will move her to qt tomorrow in 0.1% salt.

How's the poop? As much as don't want him medicated, I think it may be necessary.

Have not paid attention, but there is one hanging from the anus. It looks translucent floaty not solid. Do you think she is constipated?

Should I fast her for a few days then give some peas?

Instead of fasting, you could/should try brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms first. :)

Placed mustard in qt 0.1% salt and gave frozen bloodworms.