Ranchu with pinkish spot/ucler on gill cover

Andy228

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

does that Jager heater have a cover slip? if not and your fish is being pulled to the intake tube, i recommend you move the heater far away from the intake tube. the last thing you want in is a super nasty burn from the heater. most often, it's a killer to goldfish as their flesh cooks quickly. please ensure that the fish is far away from the heater as possible, we've had too many burn scenarios and they do not end well at all.

Gave them more food than yesterday. I will take a picture next time. I usually try to give sheila 6 little cubes of repashy jel.

Completed first 3% salt dip on William today. Consecutive 3 days of dip or should I give a day off in between? He did fine lasted 5 minutes. Afterward the spots on his tail are not as white.

• Supporter

Helen is this a cover slip? It came with the heater. The bottom are kinda sharp so I left it out. Sheila also like to stay underneath the current.

IMG_20140110_194026_zpsacjpg9vu.jpg

no, that is not a cover slip. that item is included with your heater in it's box and it's purpose is purely for packaging. it stops the heater from moving around in the box. if you use it in the tank & whilst the heater is active, it will melt.

i will show you the kind of cover slip i mean, but, i think only fluval have the or/since they are fluval and jager are the same thickness heater, you could probably buy a fluval or after market slip to suit from your LFS/LPS..

i will take a photo of mine shortly, but in the interim, please do move the heater away from the intake tube so that if the fish is caught there by weakness or accident, a possible burn can be avoided.

• Supporter

sorry for the delay.. Alex got me sidetracked! :SmackBottom:

anyhow.. the heater guard i use looks like this:

489965707_454.jpg

but you may find some that look like this too:

h_guard135368715750afa0758a2f5.jpg

there are a few types.. although they look like an eyesore, most heaters are fully submersible so that horrid black cage can be hidden :D

i only use the heater guard in my 120 g's if i am treating a fish for noticeable symptoms in the tank. in QT the heater guard is always on the heater. when fish a usually strong & healthy and the filter current is right, there should be no reason why a fish will become stuck behind a heater. if using a glass heater in your tank, you should always be sure that your smallest fish or your derpiest fish cannot become stuck between the glass wall & the heater.

Helen, thanks for the information. I moved the heater to the opposite wall. Sheila and mustard dont have any problem with it.

Dnalex, this is how much food I give sheila sometimes a few mor. She has very poor eye sight and just kinda take big gulps when the food is placed. Mustard needs to be distracted or directed away. Otherwise sheila would have nothing.

IMG_20140111_220736_zpsmx8e1gud.jpg

That's not very much food at all, so you are not overfeeding by any stretch of the imagination.

How is Sheila doing?

I am tempted to have you feed them only frozen brine shrimp gut-loaded with spirulina for a week to see what happens.

Sheila still have on and off floating issue. The pattern appears after feeding and usually resolve after several hours or next morning. I have frozen blood worms. Where can I get frozen brine shrimp with spiruluna? Do they come mixed together?

Mustard's ulcer 4th day after completion of kanaplex.IMG_1711_zpsd8060a0c.jpgIMG_1710_zpsc8d7e440.jpg

William's tail after 3 consecutive days of 3% salt dip for 5 minutes.

IMG_1716_zpsc5c903f4.jpg

IMG_1712_zps65d92f32.jpg

• Supporter

please be sure to sterilize this equipment in some bleach solution and then rinse well (rinse until they no longer smell like bleach) then soak in prime water for 10 mins. after that, rinse well again and you should be right to use it all :)

(the dog does not need bleaching! :rofl )

Mustard looks good. Please keep checking him at least once daily for the next week. I think it should be completely gone soon. :)

Let's do another dip on William in 2 days, and then we will see. I think that too should be almost gone after that.

Spirulina loaded brine shrimp is made by Hikari. You should be able to buy it at Petsmart (not Petco). It's actually one of my favorite things to feed, but it's a tad expensive if you feed it long term. I think it's $8 for 48 cubes. Feed all three if you like. One cube per meal, 2-3 meals per day for all of them in total. :)

Just picked one up at petsmart. Dissolve a cube in tank water before giving it to the fish?

Yessir :)

One cube at a time.

Also, turn off your filters while feeding, or the filters will just suck up all the food.

Make sure to turn them back on.

All four fish really like the brine shrimp spirulina. I gave only one cube divided among four fish once daily. Sheila not floaty when I came home. She is usually floaty about an hour after feeding. So far so good.

Received seachem metroniadazole today. Ready to try it if brine shrimp spirulina fails.

All four fish really like the brine shrimp spirulina. I gave only one cube divided among four fish once daily. Sheila not floaty when I came home. She is usually floaty about an hour after feeding. So far so good.

Received seachem metroniadazole today. Ready to try it if brine shrimp spirulina fails.

Perfect. :)

That stuff is really good, and spirulina itself is also really good. :)

Over two hours after feeding and water change, no floating issue with Sheila. This stuff is working. Hooray!

I'm glad it's not causing her to float.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that amount, and only brine shrimp will suffice. So eventually we will need to work other foods into the schema.

Have you seen her pooping?