Ranchu with pinkish spot/ucler on gill cover

Andy228

Ok. Assembled my 75 gallon stand today. Given issue with 3 out of 4 fishes, any suggestion how and when I should transfer them? I don't want to bring any problem into 75g tank. Plan to use existing aquaclear and a new sponge filters.

IMG_20140105_205921_zpscvfqyeie.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would like for you to do a series of salt dips once a day for 3 days. Prior to that, let's check his gills to see that they are not inflamed. :)

The ulcer spot looks great! I hope that's the last we see of it. :)

Salt dip for William.

We only monitor Mustard, because I think he will finish the healing process on his own.

Can you give instructions how to check gill for inflammation and salt dip?

Very very gently pry/lift the gill flap up, and take a look. Note the color and the organization of the gill filaments. Happy healthy gills should be pinking/reddish, with no signs of being swollen, or disorganized. :)

SALT DIP
1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

I would want you to do a test run of 1% salt first. Also, pickling salt is fine. Don't buy aquarium salt at the pet stores (too expensive).

Instead of a holding tank, you can add the fish back to QT/main tank. Just make sure to add a dose of Prime to the tank as well.

William appears healthy and has very good appetite. He should have healthy gill. Don't have another container for holding tank will find something tomorrow.

Should mustard be moved back to the main tank or continue quarantine?

Sheila is not floaty today even after a small repashy meal. That's a promising sign.

th_VID_20140108_232148_zps33osxixu.jpg

You guys are making fantastic progress! :)

Sheila - let's stick with what works for now, which is the Repashy, same size. Did Sheila also come from DO? If so, she's used the Repashy, because that's what Ken has been using as well.

Mustard - keep him in QT until that spot is completely clear. I imagine this will be only a couple of days.

William - the salt dips should help with the spots. Do you have prazi on hand?

Yes, sheila + mustard from DO. Besides cutting down the food, I increased the qt tank temperature between 74 - 76 to help her eliminate waste.

Have prazi and pickling salt on hand thanks to tithra, fantail, chelsem for the qt process.

Read your dyi filter media. Currently have 2 bags of ceramic rings, 2 layers of foam, and 1 bag of ceramic ring. Do I need a layer of filter floss beneath? Does filter floss prevent bb from attaching to the foam and ceramic rings?

IMG_20140109_204500_zps3mvr3apl.jpg

Hello,

I think it's helpful to help filter padding (don't use loose floss), in this order:

Sponge at very bottom,

Filter padding

Bio-media

Whatever you do, you should move the bottom most bag of bio-media up, since we always want this in the filter where there is the least amount of debris. :)

jMetzger72 uses two sponges instead of 1 sponge and 1 filter padding, and has found that it works well also. :)

How is Mustard today?

Thanks. I will buy the marineland filter pad at amazon.

Mustard's ulcer looks like yesterday. At least it did not increase in size or redness. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Sheila developed a bad habit today. Found her attached to the intake tubing of my AC50. No damage from what I can see. Again floaty after meal. She likes glupping air from the surface.

IMG_20140110_105934_zpsxtefnxec.jpg

IMG_20140110_123220_zps3bftimgm.jpgth_TRIM_20140110_173511_zps7qhujokp.jpg