Sign in to follow this  
Andy228

Ranchu with pinkish spot/ucler on gill cover

Just placed both fish in my qt with filter and air stone. I will fast them for 2 days then peas for 1 day.

Keep up updated, please. :)

Out of curiosity, how does metronidazole treat buoyancy issue? Is it caused by bacteria, parasite, or fungus?

Both fish appears to be doing well in qt. Sheila, butterfly telescope still having on and off buoyancy issue but appears to be improving. She swam upright this morning.

Out of curiosity, how does metronidazole treat buoyancy issue? Is it caused by bacteria, parasite, or fungus?

Both fish appears to be doing well in qt. Sheila, butterfly telescope still having on and off buoyancy issue but appears to be improving. She swam upright this morning.

Buoyancy issues, being floaty is particular, may be caused because of problems to the swim bladder, including infection of the organ, or by the accumulation of excess fermenting (gas producing) bacteria.

These bacteria are most likely to be anaerobic, since they live in a low oxygen environment. Hence, metronidazole, who antibacterial spectrum is directed against anaerobic bacteria.

Thanks. What is your thought in seachem paraguard? Seachem website says it treat parasites, fungus, bacteria, and viruses. Can I use it instead of metron?

Thanks. What is your thought in seachem paraguard? Seachem website says it treat parasites, fungus, bacteria, and viruses. Can I use it instead of metron?

This is a aldehyde based medication. I don't think that it will do much against floatiness, but you always can try.

Plan to order metron then.

Start it after 10 days of kana since I won't receive it until a few days? treat both fish?

how days of metron?

It's metronidazole, or metro for short. :)

Let's see how things go when you start treating, but the usual treatment is 14 days.

How is the wen looking?

Fantastic. I you update us tomorrow with pics or a video, that would be great! :)

Wound appears wider but not as red. Gave them a little cooked peas tonight. Sheila has been swimming better and upright.

IMG_20131231_222510_zpsn5gbmwnc.jpg

IMG_20131231_222529_zps24ojscbp.jpg

I think it's looking better, and am glad Sheila is swimming better as well. :)

The spot is looking much better. How is Sheila's swimming?

What day of meds are we on?

Started on 12/29 so 6th day. Wound is not as pink and red but ulcer wider.

Sheila is swimming much better have not noticed any upside down swimming. I have been feeding repashy jel food only once a day.

Should I proceed with metro or salt after 10 days?

Another problem, William my orange ranchu has white spots on left caudal fin. Not on the body. The white spots started to appear roughly same time if not a little before sheila and mustard, black/gold ranchu were placed together. He is in the main tank. Is it ich? How should I treat? Looks like it is spreading to right caudal fin.

IMG_1630_zps14c8c880.jpg

IMG_1623_zpsdf808578.jpg

Are the spots raised? How long have you had him? Did you treat your fish for flukes and/or other external parasites?

Looks raised. He was my first fish since august 2013. Treated with salt and prazi for 5 weeks in October.

Let's just observe for the next couple of days, before deciding what to do. Please update as often as you like, so that we can follow along.

I'm not convinced that this is ich, since you treated with salt, AND it has been too long since you've brought the fish home. I also don't think the new fish introduced it, but we will know more in the next couple of days.

Will keep you guys updated. I plan to clean the tank and filter today.

Sheila was upside down again after feeding and overnight. Today she is upright but bottom sitting. Qt tank water has been changed daily. This is how much I feed daily.

IMG_20140105_114516_zpsy1wr9zxe.jpg

IMG_20140105_115044_zpsmmmzgocw.jpg

IMG_20140105_115238_zpsawmmnynt.jpg

I think you need to decrease the food by half for now. :)