Sign in to follow this  
blubblubblub

Dropsy cure success rates?

My beloved Miss Piggy has dropsy. Not entirely certain why since all the others are just fine, but I guess she is just sensitive. She had damaged her swim bladder pretty bad, which at first even went away but progressively became worse, and now since yesterday I see her scales sticking out and bulging eyes. She is upside down and looks miserable (she's usually the most active/greedy/interactive). I did a full water change yesterday as soon as I saw that and am going to clean the filters and change water again today.. but seeing as the dropsy part of this seemed to have happened sometime between friday and saturday.. I dont know what my chances are on helping her survive this.

Have many of you been able to heal someone after dropsy? Obviously the sooner you treat the better the chances with anything but I read on here once its at that staged they are pretty much doomed :(

Actually, that's not true. I've seen dropsy at every stage recover, and sadly I have seen dropsy at every stage NOT recover. There is no convenient extrapolation of data, and the best I can do is to suggest that you try, but knowing that it may not work out. (Isn't this how life is, in general?)

Illnesses don't necessary affect all the fish; and certainly those affected are affected differently.

i have, many times, but, it depends on how advanced the infection is and what you consider is quality of life. dropsy recurs every so often.. like the saying goes, once a dropsy always a dropsy. their immune system weakens from the infection and remain at a constant vulnerable position to be easily affected again by influences that most other fish can naturally fight.

it sounds like your fish is very affected. would you be able to post pics and a short video?

I've had more fish survive dropsy than die from the initial illness. Having said that, I completely agree with Helen. Once they dropsy, they become our "special" fish--always a bit more sensitive than the others. Eventually all of mine have passed on, but lived 6 months to a year after the initial dropsy incident. And that time was quality time, not suffering. :heart

Oh no! Thanks for the hope.. but wish it didnt make her a "special" fish with reoccurring episodes eventually shortening her life :( Somehow I was still ok with the swim bladder messing up and her rolling around the tank randomly because her attitude was the same, so it looked like she didnt even realize she couldnt balance herself. But after the dropsy she def looks sad so hence quality is lacking. Now she is still able to upright herself momentarily but I have to watch her for a while to see that.. she's mostly staying in one place upside down at the bottom opening and closing her mouth. I did take a video but you cant see the scales sticking out in it.. I'll upload it momentarily.

she doesn't look too bad, hun. if you're saying that the upside down was something she had before she dropsied this time around. i would consider treating this fish. treatment would be the usual QT 10 gallons. Epsom and MM's minimum 14 days with daily wc's.

do you want to try? if so, i will move this over to DnD so we can have a proper thread for treatment. you will need to answer all the questions. ok?

I can move here but I dont mind doing the water changes on the 55 daily. I dont have my water test kit after I moved and cant find it so I cant answer the questions just yet. I'll let you guys know if I find it/get proper help. I hope you're right Helen!! I'm going to do my best. Wish me luck and thanks everyone.

*this was her first dropsy. First dropsy in any fish Ive had actually

** crap lol I read your post carefully. Ok I may quarantine to treat then with the salt. Or would the salt/treatment harm the other fish?

Edited by blubblubblub

i would prefer that we start a little more aggressively with the Epsom, ie, the usual dose we recommend is 1/4 teaspoon for every 10gal. but, i want to recommend 1/2 teaspoon for the first 3 days. she's very bloated.

i will move this to the DnD section now. if you're going to QT her (preferred) start fresh, no filter & 100% daily wc's. we don't need to worry about the params in a QT that is being changed daily of 100%.

so.. MM's to 1% of her body weight daily. be sure to split this over several small meals per day

Epsom at 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of water (replenished with each 100% waterchange)

100% daily water changes

and heated to 78F

keep us updated & good luck :heart

Ok.. I have no MMs (just M&Ms..sigh) and Salt from Petsmart not Epsom... hoping I can find this at the grocery store. She was always "bloated" though.. from day one that I got her, I even posted about it months ago when I was worried but was told she was fine?

mm = metro-meds from goldfishconnection.com

Epsom is available everywhere.

I have had three fish dropsy. The first had stopped eating when I pulled her from the pond. I had already bought clove oil and then decided to see if those recommendations on how to treat dropsy on KoKo's really worked. It took a month before her scales flattened and I kept her in quarantine for another couple of months. Then I returned her to a pond with a large excess of females. (Her initial problem was spawning injuries.) More than a year and a half later, she has maintained perfect health.

The second suddenly appeared with moderate pineconing and popeye. After two weeks of treatment he had no symptoms. I kept him in quarantine for a couple more months and returned him to the pond. Eight months later, he is fine.

The third suddenly was bloated and pineconed one morning. I pulled him from the pond, put him in clean water and prepared to treat. He was dead in an hour.

Remember, dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. A cough can be from lung cancer, a cold, or some inhaled dust. Not all cases respond the same way.

how's she doing, hun?

I believe it also always plays a role what the CAUSE of the dropsy is.
External causes seem to recover more successfully especially when the external issue has been fixed, such as bad water conditions, overfeeding, parasites.
Dropsy caused by infections etc often seem to be a bit tougher to get rid of.
And as shakaho said, dropsy is only a symptom. It is not so much the symptom we need to focus on during treatment but on improving the situation - being it water conditions or illness.