Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Reasons for not having a thick layer of gravel

I just had an idea! Could I walk down to the beach and get sand to use in the tank? If so, is there anything special I would have to do to prepare it (in addition to rinsing, of course)?

The beaches here in Santa Cruz County all have basic light brown sand, but there are beaches near Big Sur that have lavender sand and near Carmel that have black sand! The lavender or a mix of the two would look so awesome!

Here is a pic I took of the lavender sand: http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/ciccastars/2012-09-02_16-31-20_601_zps7f7ff0f7.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I personally don't see why you couldn't. :)

eek, really? I would be nervous about all the microrganisms that could be living in beach sand! I know there are microrganisms in our tanks anyway, but seems like you could bring something potentially icky in from beach sand no? maybe I am just paranoid? Maybe if it was well washed and boiled....

I just had an idea! Could I walk down to the beach and get sand to use in the tank? If so, is there anything special I would have to do to prepare it (in addition to rinsing, of course)?

The beaches here in Santa Cruz County all have basic light brown sand, but there are beaches near Big Sur that have lavender sand and near Carmel that have black sand! The lavender or a mix of the two would look so awesome!

Here is a pic I took of the lavender sand: http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/ciccastars/2012-09-02_16-31-20_601_zps7f7ff0f7.jpg

btw I used to live in Monterey and Gorda in Big Sur :) absolutely lovely beaches around there!

I think if you worry, you could try to disinfect in, but I think in general, it wouldn't really be an issue. :)

eek, really? I would be nervous about all the microrganisms that could be living in beach sand! I know there are microrganisms in our tanks anyway, but seems like you could bring something potentially icky in from beach sand no? maybe I am just paranoid? Maybe if it was well washed and boiled....

I'd be hesitant too.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I wouldn't. What microbes that live in salt water would you expect to be a problem?

It will take a lot of washing to get all the salt out.

Yes, I'd plan to boil it if I did this. I wouldn't want to introduce something bad to my tank.

People convert saltwater tanks to freshwater tanks, and use river rocks, so I don't see why it would be an issue if well cleaned beforehand.

Tithra, that's awesome you lived in Monterey and Big Sur! My mom's family lives in Monterey County. I live in Capitola but am moving to Watsonville soon. Do you still live in California?

Yes, I'd plan to boil it if I did this. I wouldn't want to introduce something bad to my tank.

People convert saltwater tanks to freshwater tanks, and use river rocks, so I don't see why it would be an issue if well cleaned beforehand.

Tithra, that's awesome you lived in Monterey and Big Sur! My mom's family lives in Monterey County. I live in Capitola but am moving to Watsonville soon. Do you still live in California?

I don't. I live in VT. I moved to CA when I was around 19 I think and only lived there for around a year and a half :) My mom recently moved to san diego though so I am excited that I now have a reason to visit the west coast!

Ahh ... I was born in San Diego! How funny! But I moved to Capitola when I was 2. My parents wanted to be close enough to Carmel so that we could visit my grandparents ... but not TOO close, haha.

I prefer the larger grain size of the Petco black sand over natural outdoor sand. It is less messy and doesn't get into the filters as easily.

The organisms that live in saltwater die in the freshwater and vice-versa. This is why you treat fresh water fish with salt and saltwater fish with fresh water. However, people spill things on the beach, and chemically polluted water can make its way into the sand.

......and my top reason for not doing it. Peoples feet...........yuck :yikes

My aunt lives in Watsonville! It is really beautiful! I visited a few summers back. I probably would boil the sand before using it but I don't see why it would be a problem. I imagine many of the microbes wouldn't thrive in freshwater anyways.

My aunt lives in Watsonville! It is really beautiful! I visited a few summers back. I probably would boil the sand before using it but I don't see why it would be a problem. I imagine many of the microbes wouldn't thrive in freshwater anyways.

Wow, what a small world! What are the odds?!

I just have a scattering of gravel in my goldy tank. I think it looks better than barebottom cause it hides the poop. I have seen my gf suck it up and spit it out but no choking in all the years I've had them. I have sand in my trop tank cause the cory cats love it and it's more natural for them. My betta tank just has flat bottomed glass marbles. That would also be an option for the goldfish as they couldn't fit that in their mouths at all! :D

your tank landscaping is probably one of the best I've ever seen.

I want to print it up and have it as a background for my tank. :rofl

This made back reading through the thread worthwhile for me. :rofl2

So I did my water changes today and removed a lot of gravel from the 40 gal. As it turns out I was exaggerating a bit on the amount of gravel. It was really only about 4", not 6". But that's still really high.

As an update on how it's going after a week of lower gravel levels in my other 2 tanks, it was much easier this morning with the gravel vac! The gravel is about 1" now. I will remove some more soon. Thanks for the input!

Check your water parameters as you continue the process of removing the gravel. While it is generally believed, and observed, that the bulk of your BBs live in the filter media, there have been cases where people have had cycle bumps or crashes as the result of some overzealous gravel removal. :)

Check your water parameters as you continue the process of removing the gravel. While it is generally believed, and observed, that the bulk of your BBs live in the filter media, there have been cases where people have had cycle bumps or crashes as the result of some overzealous gravel removal. :)

Actually, I just checked this morning. No cycle bump. :-)

My gravel is getting greener........my evil plan is unfolding....mahoooo wah ha ha ha :crazy:

My gravel is getting greener........my evil plan is unfolding....mahoooo ?wah ha ha ha ? ? ? :crazy:

What if she likes it? :o

She wont. We previously had a koi tank. She started out with pink and purple gravel and of course the pink turned green. She then got black gravel from petco and I believe that was epoxy painted. Some of them turned white. That drove her nuts. She would have me pick them out when ever we cleaned the tank. Currently, this substrate is getting algae build up faster because she leaves the light on from morning til night.

I havent told her that the light makes it worse. :rofl

I also don't see why you couldn't have beach sand in your tank.

To sterilize, rinse it very well bake it on a cookie sheet at 180°F for half an hour. Then carefully test for dryness. Keep baking until all the sand is dry, occasionally stirring it up to break up clumps. Overall bake time depends heavily on how thick of a layer of sand you have.

Make sure you ventilate the kitchen. Baking sand sometimes smells less like warm sand and more like low tide of you don't rinse well enough!

Edited by ChelseaM

She wont. We previously had a koi tank. She started out with pink and purple gravel and of course the pink turned green. She then got black gravel from petco and I believe that was epoxy painted. Some of them turned white. That drove her nuts. She would have me pick them out when ever we cleaned the tank. Currently, this substrate is getting algae build up faster because she leaves the light on from morning til night.

I havent told her that the light makes it worse. :rofl

I've found that regularly vacuuming the entire layer of gravel is the only way to keep it looking fresh. I do this weekly and the only time it looks sort of yucky is after 6 days. This is on my tank with off-white gravel. We also leave the lights on all day, plus that tank is closest to the window.

My other tank has black gravel from Petsmart, and their black gravel has never turned white. I've had it for a year and a half. My smallest tank has blue gravel, but I don't care for that - I like natural-looking shades much better.

Edited by *Amanda*

My gravel is getting greener........my evil plan is unfolding....mahoooo wah ha ha ha :crazy:

What if she likes it? :o

Patience is a virtue :clapping:

Photoon2014-01-04at1723_zps138f1b75.jpg

Photoon2014-01-04at1725_zps731e622d.jpg

Photoon2014-01-04at17242_zpsccbfa488.jpg

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I see! I see! :rofl