Sign in to follow this  
4prettyfish

My new tank project for new Betta Boy.

What a lucky and beautiful betta!! Congratulations. :)

I love it when people get the planted tank bug and I hope you enjoy it. The little plant on the left looks like mondo grass and, if it is, will not live for more than a few months. If you want something similar looking, find dwarf vals. The name is misleading as they can grow fairly tall, but they send out runners and multiply.

Good luck and best wishes. :)

Thank you so much. I'm having fun working on it but the tank reminds me of the desert. :( Thank you for all the info. I need whatever I can get. I'll have to write down that name, dwarf vals.

Congratulations, the betta and plants are beautiful. :heart Bettas with white on them are so lovely. He looks like a creamsicle.

Thank you. I have to say the more I watch Betta Boy he really is beautiful when all flared out.

Alrighty, I have confirmation from several people that the grassy plant is unfortunately indeed mondo grass. It is semi aquatic and does best in something like a terrarium where there is maybe a small amount of water, but not submerged. It will probably live for awhile, but will likely begin to rot away in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booo, :( That's why the tank reminds me of the desert. I haven't been liking it too much today anyway. Thank you for all the info. I appreciate it. And, How awful for Petsmart selling them to me in the aquatic section. :( Edited by 4prettyfish

yeah, that has been an ongoing issue with petsmart/petco. They don't label the semi-aquatics well and I think most of the time the staff doesn't know the difference.

Merry Christmas to those that are celebrating now.

And hoping for those that are celebrating Christmas Eve a wonderful evening

I wanted to post an updated video of the tank. The water quality is looking better. I'm not liking some of the plants though. It might be the substrate I picked out. It just reminds me of the desert. :( I need a ton more of plants but will wait to see how these do.

I went to a tropical/fresh and salt fish store today and I picked up the plant that I have floating. I love how it looks and hope it does well.

I also bought three tiny nerites. Oh my gosh, I never would have thought I would actually buy some and love them. :) Right now they are in qt in the 2 1/2 tank. I ended up putting Betta Boy in the 10g tank while the 20 is establishing a little bit more.

I'll have to take photo's of snails another time but for now is the short video of tank update.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/12-24-13004_zps52756cb5.mp4.html

Thank you for checking this out.

yeah, that has been an ongoing issue with petsmart/petco. They don't label the semi-aquatics well and I think most of the time the staff doesn't know the difference.

I liked the plant in the store and when I put it in the tank I liked it. But now that it's been over a day....I'm not thrilled with it. Ughhh But I am determined to have a nice planted tank. Thank you again for everything.

I liked the plant in the store and when I put it in the tank I liked it.? But now that it's been over a day....I'm not thrilled with it.? Ughhh But I am determined to have a nice planted tank.? Thank you again for everything.

You'll get there ! :) it just takes some trial and error, but learning is half the fun! It keeps the hobby interesting .

A heads up on the anacharis just in case you don't already know, you can propogate it simply by cutting the longer pieces into smaller ones and replanting the cuttings. Wherever you cut the plant, two new stems will grow. This is a great way to quickly make a single plant into many. I lovvvve stem plants for this reason!

I liked the plant in the store and when I put it in the tank I liked it. But now that it's been over a day....I'm not thrilled with it. Ughhh But I am determined to have a nice planted tank. Thank you again for everything.

You'll get there ! :) it just takes some trial and error, but learning is half the fun! It keeps the hobby interesting .

A heads up on the anacharis just in case you don't already know, you can propogate it simply by cutting the longer pieces into smaller ones and replanting the cuttings. Wherever you cut the plant, two new stems will grow. This is a great way to quickly make a single plant into many. I lovvvve stem plants for this reason!

With Christmas and Taylor's birthday I haven't been on Koko's in awhile so I am sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I didn't know this. (re:plant) So thank you for the plant info on the anacharis. The plants are still doing okay. The water in the tank has cleared also. The substrate isn't as bad now for this reason. ha ha But I'm thinking of still changing it because I barely get my hand in and do some arranging/planting and Yuck. Not as bad as last week but none the less. I'm going to get a back ground so the tank doesn't have that "Yellow look" to it because of my painted wall.

Updating my on going project with photo's and video. :) And a couple of questions at the end.

My 3 little Nerite snails were in qt for 8 days and have been in the main betta tank for days now. We have Larry, Gary, and Mary. Larry is the one with the thicker black strips. Gary is the other Zebra Nerite. Mary is of course wearing the "dots". :)

[/url]">http://1-5-14progressonbettatank042_zps0d8005e7

We decided on a name for the Betta. His name is Diego. I took the name off of someone's else betta here. :) I can't remember the person's name. She set up a betta tank for her girlfriend that was getting married in San Diego. Well, I live in San Diego County and I really liked the named Diego for our new double tail betta. So thank you for the wonderful name.

[/url]">http://1-5-14progressonbettatank039_zps006c3c8d

[/url]">http://1-5-14progressonbettatank041_zpsafb10868

Diego, Larry, Gary, and Mary's 20g tank is still in progress. I have more new plants, a background, and the big stone toward the right. The tank doesn't remind me of the desert anymore. It's gradually looking better. I'm liking the substrate more and more as it settles into place. With everything that has been going on here lately I've still managed to squeeze in time to work on this tank. I can't believe the amount of time it takes to landscape this. I've been enjoying it though. I even purchased a new little "tiny" manual/hand vac to do my water changes on this.

[/url]">http://1-5-14progressonbettatank045_zpsd8bba34b

[/url]">http://1-5-14progressonbettatank044_zps71bc4920

Here is a video

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/1-5-14progressonbettatank046_zps275e89c5.mp4.html

I've already lost a couple of plants. On other plants, I've lost some leaves either by drying up or melting. I'm wondering if my lights are doing this. ?? I have the newer fluval lights that came out earlier in 2013, I believe. My lights are the Fluval Daylight Aqualife and Plant LED Aquarium Lamp. It says 25 watts. I'm keeping the lights on for 10 hours. I'm not 100% sure if I'm loving these lights. I was told I can bring them back to PetCo if I'm not satisfied with them. But to give my plants some more time to adjust to their new environment. What do you suggest? Should I swap the lights out for something else? I believe all my plants but one are considered "low lights" and easy to care for. (I was looking for that) My lights are resting on the glass lid of the tank. Today I took off the glass lid and the lights are resting on the sides of the tank. The lights are low to the water. Could this be making the leaves melt?

What do you suggest for my water changes? I was thinking every 10 days about 50%.

Thank you for seeing my update and helping me with all my questions. I appreciate it a lot. :)

What a beautiful tank! Diego is stunning and the snails will add some nice interest. You have done a great job with it, and it's given me some inspiration for my own betta tank, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What a beautiful tank! Diego is stunning and the snails will add some nice interest. You have done a great job with it, and it's given me some inspiration for my own betta tank, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aww :) Thank you so much. I've never attempted something like this before. And, not to mention the money spent on a betta tank. Yikes! Who would have thought I'd ever get into snails. ha ha I actually love the little guys. We are thinking of getting another one. This time a hornet?? I just hope the plants don't die on me. :( The tank isn't done yet. I want a lot more plants.

The tank is coming along nicely Cheryl! It looks gorgeous and Diego is just stunning!

(BTW it was Jared, jmetzger72, who set up the betta tank for his friend. :) )

:) Thank you Lisa for the compliments and letting me know it was Jared. I was thinking it was a woman. I was way off.

He had a great name for which I took/copied. hehehe

I'm just here updating Diego's tank. I want to keep track of it all because having live plants is all new to me. :)

The plants I have in the tank are: Java Fern, Anubias (two different kinds I think), Red Ludwigia (my favorite), Rosetta Sword, I think another type of Sword which might be the Apart (which is ugly now to me), Water Wisteria (not liking it much), and I think either Moneywort or Dwarf Bacopa/Baby Tears, Anacharis, and of course the Moss Ball. It was brought to my attention here that my Mondo grass is a non aquatic plant. I took it out and it's with another house plant of mine and is doing good. It grew close to an inch in my betta tank though. I did purchase an aquarium plant book and that species was in the Non Aquatic Plant List. :( So hopefully I won't make another mistake like that again.

First, Diego is brightening up. His tip of tail was white and it's turning more of an violet color with other spots of violet in him. He's a great betta to have. I didn't know how much I would enjoy having one until I started taking care of him. He comes up to me (surface of the tank :)) when it's feeding time. He loves to swim constant laps of his tank and sometimes explores at the bottom as he swims in between the plants. He doesn't bother the three nerites. (Larry, Gary, Mary)

[/url]">http://1-9-14bettatankcomingalong014_zps39ac962

[/url]">http://1-9-14bettatankcomingalong013_zpsd0aa7fe

I added black gravel on top of my fluorite substrate because I felt I needed more depth to plant my plants. I was going to purchase more of the substrate but it was a pain to rinse out. As much as I liked it I'm really liking the black in the tank. I have about two inches of the fluorite in the back of the tank and less up front. Then I layered with the black gravel. I may have to do some changes still with all that. I took out the brown"ish" rocks and only kept in the white and black rocks. I think I want to buy some Vals for the back of the tank and carpet some of the front of the tank with something. I still need to fill in a lot of spaces. This has been a fun project. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. (good or bad)

[/url]">http://1-11-14changestobettatank004_zpsf7234e23

[/url]">http://1-11-14changestobettatank002_zps7bc1a14d

[/url]">http://1-11-14changestobettatank001_zpsaf988ef3

Here is a video of my changes.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/1-11-14changestobettatank003_zps47271dbf.mp4.html

Edited by 4prettyfish

Wow I missed this thread while I was gone! That tank looks great! :clapping: and he is a stunner! :o

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh, wow! It's really shaping up! Is that rotala that you added, on the right? The tank is gorgeous. :)

How is your anubias (with the arrow shaped leaves) doing? I have two in the tank, and I'm pretty sure they're dying. I've read in several places that these types of anubias don't do well under water, and though I've had mine for more than six months, I've never seen a new leaf! :idont Keep me posted on your anubias experience!

Now that is a betta paradise I'd I have ever saw one.

Ps. Is that a fully submersible heater? It looksike one if mine that is not it way I ask. :idont

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wow I missed this thread while I was gone! That tank looks great! :clapping: and he is a stunner! :o

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aww. Thank you Mel. :) I appreciate it.

Oh, wow! It's really shaping up! Is that rotala that you added, on the right? The tank is gorgeous. :)

How is your anubias (with the arrow shaped leaves) doing? I have two in the tank, and I'm pretty sure they're dying. I've read in several places that these types of anubias don't do well under water, and though I've had mine for more than six months, I've never seen a new leaf! :idont Keep me posted on your anubias experience!

I'm not sure what plant your talking about Tammy. They kind of look the same to me. ha ha My two new ones are doing okay. They grew a new leaf already on both plants. It was odd though because I thought it was a dead curled up leaf that I was going to cut off. I'm glad I didn't because that brown ugly curled up leaf opened up in several days to a green leaf. I thought that was strange. I didn't know about some anubias plants not doing well under water. I hope your plant or mine are not those ones. :(

Now that is a betta paradise I'd I have ever saw one.

Ps. Is that a fully submersible heater? It looksike one if mine that is not it way I ask. :idont

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Daniel. I think Diego is loving his home with the three nerites. The heater is submerged 100%. I have it at an angle. I'll have to go see if I should lay it more flat now. I know I have the tip touching the substrate. It's an aqueon 100 watt.

In this picture, I'm referring to the anubias all the way to the left of the tank. It's called a hastifolia. I have two of those, as I loved the shape of the leaves, but I haven't noticed that these are doing well, like my other plants. I'm actually about to throw my two away, as they look pretty bad. I was just wondering how yours were doing, as I really liked this plant.

1-5-14progressonbettatank045_zpsd8bba34b

Tammy: Thanks for pointing the plant out to me. :) This is one that grew a new leaf on me last week. It's doing good. I have it in the back where it's getting a little "dark area" (not enough light) and no problems as of yet. But then again, I've only had this tank set up and plants for a very short time. No complaints yet:)

I'm sorry your plants aren't doing good. I'd hate for you to throw them away if there is a way of saving them. Perhaps open a thread and post photo's and see if someone can help you that knows a lot more about plants and can suggest something for you.

Okay, Update: A few days ago I found some baby snails and eggs in my tank. :yikes I guess I didn't rinse and bleach out my newest plants enough. I had taken out the few snails that I saw and the eggs that I saw. I thought that was that. It wasn't. :yikes I saw a couple more little snails the following day. This time I took out all my plants and disinfected them in bleach a bit better. I took out the rocks and intake tubes and bleached those out also. I washed my filter really good and replaced my media. I did a water change twice all the way down to the substrate. As I was doing the water changes I had vacuumed the top layer of substrate (I thought) really good to get any baby snails/eggs. A whole day went by without seeing anything. :clapping: I thought all was good. Last night I saw two more little snails on the glass. :( Does anyone have any suggestions for me besides having to remove all my substrate? If I were to prazi the tank will this get rid of them? I would of course take out Larry, Gary, and Mary, the three Nerites. And I can also take out Diego the Betta. I already did a prazi treatment on him when I purchased him. He's not eating the baby snails or eggs. He seems to be a very mellow betta. Is there anything I can purchase to put in the tank water to get rid of these snails and eggs?

With me bleaching the plants twice now in such a short period of time my poor beautiful plants are not looking so beautiful now. :( Some of them are dying on me. :( My anubias seem to be looking good still with the exception of those nasty little snails taking bites of some of the leaves. :madrant

I'm also getting some nasty algae on my plants. :yikes Not a lot but enough where I want to :madrant . I believe it's called Rhizoclonium and Oedogonium. The first one looks like thread. The second, looks like peach fuzz on my leaves. It's not a lot but none the less. I'm dosing with Flourish Excel as of last night. I've read that it could be due to lack of plants. That I might need more. But I don't think I want to purchase more until I know I can keep some of these alive longer. I purchased some better lights last week and am waiting for them still to be delivered. I don't' know if my lights are doing the job that they need to be doing that's why I purchased better lights. Some of my plants were melting in the beginning and dying on me. when I first got started on this project last month. Now some of them are back to melting and dying because I had to bleach them again because of the unwanted baby snails.

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear from you. I've been learning a little bit here and there about aquatic plant care but I am no where near at trying to figure this out in regards to how to take care of an aquatic betta tank. I'm not giving up. :)

Thank you so much and I'd really appreciate any advice you have.

what kind of lighting do you have on the tank now and what did you order?

How long are you running your lights?

Is excel the only thing you are dosing?

Are there particular plants that are doing poorly?

Feel free to post a pic of your algae. I wonder if the fuzzy one is black brush/black beard algae? (it's a pain to get rid of and you want to nip it in the bud if you can)

Some plants can certainly take time to adjust to a new tank with new parameters. 1-3 months to really establish and adjust is not atypical, depending on the plant. And of course bleach dips can be tough.

Pick off any dead/dying leaves you see so that the plant doesn't put it's energy into those.

As for the snails, can you post a pic of them? I'm curious what kind you have. There aren't many that will actually eat plants, so I'm curious when you say you are seeing nibbles out of the leaves.

Thanks Jen for the reply back to this. I appreciate it very much. :)

My lights are the new fluval led full spectrum (aqualife and plant) 5200k with 312 led's with 120o light dispersion. It says 25watts. I'm taking them back as soon as I get my new ones that are from "Buildmyled's. I can't wait and am excited for these. I've been shopping at this near by freshwater and saltwater fish store and an employee gave me a couple of websites to check out. I did, and came across these lights that people are using. I've heard nothing but great things about them. I like using LED's and am using some on my bigger tank but that doesn't have plants in the tank. I should be getting these lights by the end of the month.

I've been keeping the lights on for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Yesterday I thought I might be keeping them on too much so I kept them on for 10 hours.

I've been using the seachem flourish also for about a week and the excel for two days now. (I think) I've had both items in the tank at the same time.

The algae is not noticeable at a distance. But, I know it's there. It's very minor now. Just a light fuzzy likeness (like a peach fuzz) on the top of some plant leaves. I've seen this string like thread in my tank also. I thought it was a piece of my hair. But then I saw a couple more stands. And after doing some research realized it was a type of algae.

I've been picking off dead leaves. Last night I was "puffing up my Red Ludwigia." ha ha and several leaves started to just fall and float. This is my favorite plant. It has several meltings. I'll take them off also now. I was hoping it would come back to life. I hate that I did another bleach on my plants.

My anubias are okay still. Just those bites out of a couple of leaves. It's like something was taking a munch on a side of a leaf. And I have a hole or two in the middle of a leaf.

I have java fern. It's browning. It did this before after the first bleach so I'm hoping it will come back to life/green.

Rosetta Sword I had cut back to hardly nothing. I think it's ugly.

Moneywort is okay. Some leaves had wilted. But for most part, okay I guess.

Water Wisteria. I threw that away. It was pathetic.

Moss Ball is a visual yellow. If I take it and pull it apart I see green. I'm hoping it will come back to me also.

I have another plant but can't think of the name. It has the long leaves. It's a small plant and it's just so, so. I don't particularly like it much anyway. I got it at Petco in one of those containers. Once I got it home I thought it was kind of ugly. So I put it in the back of the tank to see and wait if it was going to become beautiful. :) Nothing as of yet. ha

Next time I see a snail I will take a photo for you. I was going to keep one and see what it grows up to be. But at this point, I don't want to. I'm not happy with them. I do have three nerites but they can't produce, right? If it's not the snails making the holes and nibble bits can it be lack of nutrients in the plants? Or,???

If you still want photo's of plants and algae they probably won't get up until much later tonight. They will definitely be up for you tomorrow if you have time to see here. I need to go for a bit but will post when I come back.

I hope this info helps that you requested. Thank you again.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Wow!! That's a gorgeous tank and Betta!!! He's in heaven!!! :heart:clapping::thumbs:

Jess, I don't know why I called you Jen but I am so sorry for that mistake above. :(
I made a video and it uploaded then it said error. I've had this before where I found the video after all. But this time I can't find it. It's getting to late to try again and wait for it to upload and all.

I think the only plants I might save our my Anubias. I have four or five of them. All others are looking more pathetic as the evening goes by. Surprisingly I'm not as upset as I should be. I don't like all that money down the drain but now that I have a sense of planting.....I might try to think of a scaping plan and not just pick out any old plant. ha ha ha

On the video I could definatley see little raised like "hairs" sitting on my leaves on my pennywort. This was another plant that I really liked though. I have a lot going on tomorrow so might not be back on the computer. I hope using the excel and the flourish was okay. I think my anubias is looking a bit better though as the evening is going on. So strange with my plants. The betta and the nerites seems okay with that. I've seen no more of those unwanted snails tonight. :)

Mikey, He's not in heaven anymore. I don't think you've read my poor posts. :( My plants are dying on me. I'm not giving up though. I'm learning as I'm going with the help of others. :)

Sorry you are having plant issues, Cheryl. I am terrible with plants. My lights stink and natural light is either full on or full off (at least in the house). This year, I've been running a heater in Newtons's tank for the first time - because of my snail addiction - and the plants seem very sensitive to the temperature setting. Jess would know better than me, but maybe some of the plants have different temp needs?

Jess, I don't know why I called you Jen but I am so sorry for that mistake above. :(

I made a video and it uploaded then it said error. I've had this before where I found the video after all. But this time I can't find it. It's getting to late to try again and wait for it to upload and all.

I think the only plants I might save our my Anubias. I have four or five of them. All others are looking more pathetic as the evening goes by. Surprisingly I'm not as upset as I should be. I don't like all that money down the drain but now that I have a sense of planting.....I might try to think of a scaping plan and not just pick out any old plant. ha ha ha

On the video I could definatley see little raised like "hairs" sitting on my leaves on my pennywort. This was another plant that I really liked though. I have a lot going on tomorrow so might not be back on the computer. I hope using the excel and the flourish was okay. I think my anubias is looking a bit better though as the evening is going on. So strange with my plants. The betta and the nerites seems okay with that. I've seen no more of those unwanted snails tonight. :)

Mikey, He's not in heaven anymore. I don't think you've read my poor posts. :( My plants are dying on me. I'm not giving up though. I'm learning as I'm going with the help of others. :)

Oh no! :( it's all about trial and error with plants. I'm not very good with them either. :teehee you have great help here with all of the plant owners though! :)