New light timer... What to set it to?

I wouldn't do more than ten, less is better.

Some people like to set it so its running for 5 or 6 then goes off then on for another hours before it switches of again. Plants seem to enjoy the breaks in between and keeps a good plant cycle going.

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. There are people who successfully run 10+ hours of lighting in heavily planted tanks. I think somewhere around 6-8 hours would be good. I would experiment and adjust the photoperiod as necessary.

6 to 8 hours is all? Good to know. I can turn mine down a bit and save a couple bucks. This is plenty for the fish as well?

My bedroom is very dark 24/7 except for the tank light. The tank in my living room gets a good amount if daylight but not enough to grow strong plants.

One other thing I consider when deciding when to have my tank light on is the activity times in that particular room. I don't want it to be going from dark to light to dark to light frequently. I imagine this can startle the fish and throw off their routine? Think about how the light would be for them in nature.

Edited by DieselPlower

6 to 8 hours is all? Good to know. I can turn mine down a bit and save a couple bucks. This is plenty for the fish as well?

The fish technically don't need any bright light source, but their colors will be affected, as well as their activity level. :)

6 to 8 hours is all?

I'd aim for closer to 8 hours, but some people do successfully manage 6 hours (I've even heard of a few members of Tom Barr's forum running 4 hours a day). At the other end, Diana Walstad suggests 12-14 hour length photoperiods.

Unfortunately there's so much advice out there, it's up to us to decide what we like and what we think would work best with our set-up. Experimentation will be key. What works in one tank, unfortunately, isn't universalised.

I run my lights for 7 hours. I personally wouldn't go more than 6-8 in most tanks. As Dan said, there are situations where longer can be okay, but for most setups really no more than 6-8 hours is necessary and may result in more issues than good.

• Supporter

Mine go from 8a to 8p on my heavily planted tank and 12p to 12a on my 180. I have never had a problem.

it's probably because the fish have something to shelter them from the bright light if they need a break. i used to keep my lights on for 10+ hours, but i'd find that the fish would look for somewhere to rest which was usually away from the lights. remember, fish do not have eyelids so their environment needs to provide a break from the constant light.

i generally only switch my tank lights on from around 4pm and then switch them off around 8 hours later. if i'm having dinner guests over, i switch the lights on a few hours beforehand and then off again when i go to bed.

Mine go from 8a to 8p on my heavily planted tank and 12p to 12a on my 180. I have never had a problem.

it's probably because the fish have something to shelter them from the bright light if they need a break. i used to keep my lights on for 10+ hours, but i'd find that the fish would look for somewhere to rest which was usually away from the lights. remember, fish do not have eyelids so their environment needs to provide a break from the constant light.

?

i generally only switch my tank lights on from around 4pm and then switch them off around 8 hours later. if i'm having dinner guests over, i switch the lights on a few hours beforehand and then off again when i go to bed.

Nope. The fish in the 180 have nothing in the tank after the move. They are actually acting better since everything was removed.