Now that's my kind of pond

Gcourtney

Nice little pond but wow! Fat fish; I watched on my phone but did I see issues with gill plates? Just an observation...

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

I don't see any particular issues, unless you're referring to the fact that they're so round that their gill plates almost forms a 90degree angle with the head.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Nice little pond but wow! Fat fish; I watched on my phone but did I see issues with gill plates? Just an observation...

I don't see any particular issues, unless you're referring to the fact that they're so round that their gill plates almost forms a 90degree angle with the head.

Maybe that's what it is.

• Helper

Amazing pond, but I have to agree that those fish don't look very happy! They are so round it looks like they can barely move! I think it's seeing pearlies like this that put me off them :P I mean I like them but seeing them like this makes me feel sad :(

• Supporter

i just think there's too much current for them. they are such complex swimmers. if the current wasn't concentrated on skimming the surface, but in more areas of the pond and less force, you would find the pearlscales more active and all over the pond. not pushed to one side.

they have no problems with swimming because of their shape and size if the correct environment is provided. i see the telescope is also hanging in the lower current area..

perhaps 3 or 4 single tails would do better in that environment.

Too deep for pearlies IMO, loaded with junk that will trap debris, including a rock pile. Pearlies seem to like to get stuck someplace -- I'm always picking Pearls out of a flowerpot or the foliage of a plant where she is "stuck," and she keeps going back to get "stuck" in the same place. The quotation marks are because I think she is perfectly capable of getting out. She just likes being rescued.

The fish appear to be confining themselves to the swallow area and appear lethargic. The only reason I can see for that big deep area is to justify the large number of fish in the pond, while having a small surface area. I agree with Helen that there is way to much current. I can't figure out where the water is coming in -- it looks like near the bottom of the deep area, which should actually minimize the current, so the flow is huge. I assume the very high flow is to help to clean out all the debris traps. Any fish would be challenged to forage between those rocks and around those pieces of pottery, but it's impossible for pearlies.

• Supporter

It looks like someone dropped oranges in the bottom of the pond. They're so round and fat ;3

I was thinking the same thing! Too funny!

That said, I agree with everyone else about the pond and the pearlies.

But gosh, those swimming tennis balls sure are cute :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, they seem like they really aren't moving that much at all. :huh: It's too bad, because it would be a lovely pond if only the fish were acting more healthy and happy. Even the telescope seems to be acting slow and sluggish :undecided: