Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Clem still has red tail streaks...healing?

Hi everyone - back again. Here's the questionnaire:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.8+
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
    • * Water temperature? 74F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal, 10 months or so
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110g - 2 of them, HOB
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1x per week, 80-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, all >4in except one that is about 5in with tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem PRIME, Seachem FLOURISH
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Peas when they are constipated, usually 1x per day just as a preventative; Saki Hikari sinking baby pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes but this was occurring before the new fish was added
  • * Any medications added to the tank? PraziPro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Have treated with Prazi every 6 months or so, unless they seemed to be surface gasping. Including this time, they have been treated with Prazi twice since I've had them.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes - bloody streaks ONLY at the end of Clem's tail. Speckle's fins were bloody last week but appear to have healed a lot and the blood is almost gone for her.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope - all have appetites, all very active, no darting, etc.

Okay so I'm back!!! I did end up getting another little fishy, though I have no pictures at the moment and will have to show her off later. The tank is FULLY STOCKED now, haha.

Writing again because Clem's red tail streaks from fighting with Mr. B still have not gone away. I don't think there's any underlying problem, but I'm going away for a week next week and I want to make sure that Clem doesn't end up being really sick while I'm gone. I'm going to try and get some pics for you - basically the bloody parts are only at the end of his tail, at all 4 "points". He is still active, hungry, and lively as ever. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except the bloody streaks.

Does it just take some of them longer to heal than others?

Thanks for any help

Edited by kiwikacey

igFE4FWdPoHHz.jpgiJ0buFuVGUTbK.jpgibt6NaZWVbzA67.jpgi6seSMgxYxQni.jpg

And as a bonus...the new gal (I'm assuming, since the boys have been chasing her)

ikwezNp62EvoW.jpg

Wow. Let me first just saw he is absolutely gorgeous! Love his coloring/markings. :thud

If he's acting fine, eating, no unusual behavior, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes those dilated blood vessels take a very very long time to go away. They may not completely go away ever. And they are especially noticeable in a fish with white fins/tail. Time will tell but he is stunning even with the redness. :teehee

I would do a couple of large WCs before leaving, feed very very lightly (if you're planning to at all), and enjoy your getaway. :D

Do you know your KH? That's a big difference between tap and tank pH. :idont

Wow. Let me first just saw he is absolutely gorgeous! Love his coloring/markings. :thud

If he's acting fine, eating, no unusual behavior, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes those dilated blood vessels take a very very long time to go away. They may not completely go away ever. And they are especially noticeable in a fish with white fins/tail. Time will tell but he is stunning even with the redness. :teehee

I would do a couple of large WCs before leaving, feed very very lightly (if you're planning to at all), and enjoy your getaway. :D

Do you know your KH? That's a big difference between tap and tank pH. :idont

Thanks for the reply! & thanks for the compliments on Clem - he was a rescue, actually, and I got really lucky! He's turning out to be quite handsome :)

I have an automatic feeder that I hooked up the last time I went away, and that seemed to be fine. I'll just make sure it's only dumping in a small amount of food at a time.

I just found my KH testing kit, but have no idea where the instructions are, and I remember that one being complicated. I'll have to root around my stuff a bit...

EDIT: I am on city water, though, and was having pH crashes when I first moved in. Have solved that problem with Buff it Up (the miracle product!!) and crushed coral in my filter bags.

Edited by kiwikacey

it's a drop by drop process. have you ever done he KH/GH test in the past? do you know how to? i might have a vid on it..

KHGHConversionChartAPIWaterTestKit_zpsd9

it's a drop by drop process. have you ever done he KH/GH test in the past? do you know how to? i might have a vid on it..

KHGHConversionChartAPIWaterTestKit_zpsd9

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I've done it in the past, but when I wasn't on city water. So I'll have to do it again and will post the results here :)

Okay so.... tap KH/GH changed color at 3 drops for both.

Today tank KH changed color at 10 drops, tank GH changed color at 4 drops. I don't really 'get' where that is on the chart?

Also, todays nitrate reading is 0-5ppm! I would like to recommend Algone and also a special nitrate removing pad by Deep Blue. My tank params have improved INCREDIBLY since using these products. Anyone with chronically high nitrates, this might be a solution!

How are the fins today?

How are the fins today?

Same as they were a few days ago - no better, no worse, and still no clamping or obvious discomfort.

I'm thinking maybe he's just a slow healer?

i am thinking at this stage, your fish will require daily water changes and salt treatment.

if possible, can you set up a 10 gallon QT tank with .1% salt to start with. you will need to do at least 70% - 100% daily water changes closely matching the new water's PH and temp with that of the tank.

i do 100% daily water changes on all hospital tanks to avoid salt creep.

after 12 hours, increase salt to .2%, keep salt at .2% for a few days. if after a few days at .2% salt there are no improvements or your fish is worsening, report back with pictures and we will reassess.

please ensure that you check for ammonia in the hospital tank daily and if any present, give an extra dose of prime. you will also need to increase aeration in the hospital tank during treatment time.

i am thinking at this stage, your fish will require daily water changes and salt treatment.

if possible, can you set up a 10 gallon QT tank with .1% salt to start with. you will need to do at least 70% - 100% daily water changes closely matching the new water's PH and temp with that of the tank.

i do 100% daily water changes on all hospital tanks to avoid salt creep.

after 12 hours, increase salt to .2%, keep salt at .2% for a few days. if after a few days at .2% salt there are no improvements or your fish is worsening, report back with pictures and we will reassess.

please ensure that you check for ammonia in the hospital tank daily and if any present, give an extra dose of prime. you will also need to increase aeration in the hospital tank during treatment time.

I will have to start on this when I get back to my apartment. I will be gone for a week and cannot take the fish with me - so I will start it then. Clem is fine today & the streaks are the same - no worse, and no one else has them. Fingers crossed that he's fine for the week...

UPDATE: I turned the light on in the tank and it actually looks like the streaks have darkened and are starting to heal. On one side, there are far fewer streaks than there were a few days ago.