Wasting Platy.

Hi guys.

This post is actually for my aunt, not myself. She has asked me for advice concerning an older platy since she believes I'm a fish expert (yeah, right), and honestly I've never really kept tropical fish so here I am.

Her 4-year-old red platy, Mama, isn't doing so well. Over the past few months her color has faded from a dark red to pale pink, which my aunt thought was normal considering the fish's age. Until a about a week ago the fish was behaving normally - active, eating well. Now she is bottom sitting and has lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, to the point her belly has sunken in. Mama is also breathing rapidly, and refusing all flake/pellet foods. She has been eating bloodworms though, but not a lot. The tank is 29 gallons. There are at least a dozen platys and mollys (I think? They're yellow) in it, and a big common pleco.

My first thought was internal parasites since she'd lost so much weight. I asked my aunt to isolate the her so I could see her stool. It was relatively normal (food colored and short) so I guess that theory's out the door.

Obviously I brought over my test kit to she if her water parameters were contributing to the problem. They came up as:

- Ph 8.0

- Ammonina 0ppm

- Nitrite 0ppm

- Nitrate Definitely over 40ppm, probably higher. I can't read it well when it gets into the red zone.

I asked her to do four 25% water changes in 12hr intervals (her water comes out of the tap so high the High Range API test can't read it) to get the nitrates down.

Aside from that, I don't know what to tell her to do. I'll fill out the whole D&D form in a second, I'll have to hunt it down on the mobile site (I'm on tapatalk). I'll see if I can get a picture of the fish, but I won't be going to her house again until tomorrow, so until then I can only describe the problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Test Results for the Following:

Tank

* Ph 8.0

* Ammonia 0ppm

* Nitrite 0ppm

* Nitrate Above 40ppm

Tap

* Ph Extremely High. Higher than the API High Range can read.

* Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Don't know

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API Drops

* Water temperature?

78-80 F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

29 Gallons. It's be running a long time, like 6 or 7 years.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

Not sure. It's a basic HOB. Don't know the brand.

* How often do you change the water and how much?

She usually does a 25% change once a month (yikes). I asked her to do four 25% changes in 12hr intervals.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Probably last night.

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

A lot. 2-3" for the little ones, the pleco is like 6".

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

AquaSafe

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

She feeds them fish flakes. How much and how often I don't know.

* Any new fish added to the tank?

No.

* Any medications added to the tank?

Don't know.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

I know she did a round of copper sulfate for velvet. Other than that I don't know.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

No.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Heavy breathing, poor appetite, weight loss, bottom sitting.

I have kept platys before and they had babies on the 24th of December but when they were unwell they would drop dead so in the space of a year I went from like 20 to 0

to the topic I ca 't really think of anything but swim bladder, but I know it isn't because she has lost her appetite where as with swim bladder the fish wont loose it's appetite

Parasitism is still a viable reason for the rapid loss of weight regardless of how the fecal matter looks, so I would treat the entire tank with a few rounds of praziquantel and 0.1% salt. Given her age and state of decline I'd be hesitant to add any other medications before trying to treat for parasites.

Before she begins any treatment, those nitrates need to come down to 10ppm or under, ideally to 0ppm. What are the tap pH and tap nitrate readings?

In the mean time are you able to get some photos or a video of her?

Edited by Narny105

Parasitism is still a viable reason for the rapid loss of weight regardless of how the fecal matter looks, so I would treat the entire tank with a few rounds of praziquantel and 0.1% salt. Given her age and state of decline I'd be hesitant to add any other medications before trying to treat for parasites.?

?

Before she begins any treatment, those nitrates need to come down to 10ppm or under, ideally to 0ppm. What are the tap pH and tap nitrate readings?

?

I'll drop by my aunt's house tomorrow and try to get a good picture. Unfortunately she doesn't have a camera of any sort so it'll have to wait. I'll also test the tap parameters then and retest her tank water while I'm there. The fish's belly looks like this though, although not quite as bad (from Google):

i48.tinypic.com/117e6c2.jpg

Given that her stool was normal and the other fish are fairly healthly-looking, I figured internal parasites couldn't have been the issue. I have a lot to learn.

They're not all necessarily going to be affected but it's still precautionary to treat the entire tank rather than just the fish. I'll await pics :)

The nitrate could definitely have a role to play too so the sooner that is reduced the better

Parasitism is still a viable reason for the rapid loss of weight regardless of how the fecal matter looks, so I would treat the entire tank with a few rounds of praziquantel and 0.1% salt. Given her age and state of decline I'd be hesitant to add any other medications before trying to treat for parasites.

I'll drop by my aunt's house tomorrow and try to get a good picture. Unfortunately she doesn't have a camera of any sort so it'll have to wait. I'll also test the tap parameters then and retest her tank water while I'm there. The fish's belly looks like this though, although not quite as bad (from Google):

Given that her stool was normal and the other fish are fairly healthly-looking, I figured internal parasites couldn't have been the issue. I have a lot to learn.

Any news?

?

Parasitism is still a viable reason for the rapid loss of weight regardless of how the fecal matter looks, so I would treat the entire tank with a few rounds of praziquantel and 0.1% salt. Given her age and state of decline I'd be hesitant to add any other medications before trying to treat for parasites.?

?

?

?

?

Any news?

Sorry for the lack of updates. Unfortunately, the fish passed away yesterday. My aunt found her stuck against the filter intake (not sure if she passed beforehand and got sucked to it, or if it's the cause of death). It's kind of a bummer because the fish seemed to be improving with water changes and prazi.

I gave her enough of my prazi to do a few more rounds. Hopefully things go well.