Filter recommendation

Abyss

I'm currently running a 29g that is overstocked, it started out with myself buying my son s few small then super juvenile moors and didn't know about goldfish well, I had kept fish as a child but never goldfish so didn't know until I started reading and found KoKos and fell in love. I bought a few large tanks for them and tried fixing the situation. They were originally in a 3.6 gal tank and moved them into a 29g one its the biggest I could get used for a good price. I've had them now since sept 27th and they are getting HUGE and thriving and spawning. I had gotten a new ryukin, it was an impulse buy she was the size of a quarter. She is now the same size as the others they are around 31/2 to 4" with tails I'm guessing, I also have a c.pleco that was bought with the original fish, he chills in a cave and eats well and never bothers the others or I would place him somewhere else. If I ever find someone to trade me a BNP for mine, I will.

So that done I'm doing 2x weekly cleaning&wc of 80% and params are fine never get above 0.25 amm or n's.

I'm running a new filter I got a few weeks ago its a fluval 206 since I broke a major part in the usef fluval 204 I got. I'm also running an aqueon 20 HOB till I can upgrade that one to something way better. I know I'm under par still for filtration but they are doing well with my diligent care.

Can you guys recommend a good HOB filter that's better than my current one for around $50-55 Canadian? Thanks a bunch!!

I'm also looking for an 85-90 gallon tank used but in having horrible luck finding one sadly so I'm waiting to find one at a fair price. Ppl on used selling sites are trying to use retail prices for those huge tanks...

My personal favorite HOB filter is Aquaclear 110!! I have three of them, have had them for years & never have a bit of trouble from them!! Two are on my 90 gallon & one is one my 29!! I like that I can add the media that I like & that the AC110s are really efficient!

Now I have cut the little cone strainers off of all three of the intake tubes.....I replaced them with Penguin intakes....they fit snug right in there! (I just felt the original cone was just TOO tiny!)

Hi Abyss,

You are doing the right thing in a bad situation. At 3 goldfish and a pleco in a 29 gallon, you are in a very precarious situation.

Why do you want another HOB? I understand why you want more filtration, and any of the larger major HOB brands will do that for you, but it seems that you would be better off with another 29 gallon tank than with additional filtration on this one.

Hi Abyss,

You are doing the right thing in a bad situation. At 3 goldfish and a pleco in a 29 gallon, you are in a very precarious situation.

Why do you want another HOB? I understand why you want more filtration, and any of the larger major HOB brands will do that for you, but it seems that you would be better off with another 29 gallon tank than with additional filtration on this one.

Because I'm wanting to replace the hob aqueon 20 filter with a higher gph filter to increase my filtration. I don't have any room for another 29gallon tank, i only have room for the current 29g or remove my side coffee table and replace the 29gallon with an 80-90 gallon tank. I'd rather get a hob filter beside the canister I have for easier maitenence, it would be annoying for me to have to clean 2 canister filters at once or add a whole other tank, I already have 3 tanks set up. Plus if I upgrade my hob I can still use it in the larger tank when I find one.

I hear ya on used tanks. This guy only wants $100 for this 55g beauty that "just needs a wipe down". He states he paid $700 for this and the stand :rofl2

00r0r_iKyMtL9FU3t_600x450.jpg

Eeek looks like it will need more than a rub down lol

I saw a nice add for an 90g for 125 close by but no canopy lights or stand comes with it so I'm going to keep looking.

Edited by Abyss

I really like canisters, and I don't think they are as difficult to clean as people seem to think! Especially if your media is in media bags, that really saves your fingernails! I have two, and I alternate rinsing the media every couple of weeks, so they both get done every month or two. No worries!

Also, don't give up on used selling sites, stay tuned! Often people with money to burn buy big aquarium set ups, only to be surprised by how much work it is, then they just want it gone asap. So if you're at the right place at the right time, you can get near new tanks quite inexpensively. Lots of Koko's members have very happy bargains stories! It just might take some time and patient trawling. Good luck, I'm sure something perfect will come along soon! :)

Although the aquaclear 110 is probably the best HOB, it comes with a hefty price tag. I would buy the Aqueon 55/75 off of Amazon.com for about $25 US. I think the aquaclear is about triple that. I have 2 of the Aqueon 55/75 and soon I will have more.

I adore my Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75! I don't like the AquaClear's because..

1) When you do a waterchange you have to "Prime" the filter to get it started

2) It is costly $$$

I use the aquaclear sponges and Bio-max in my Aqueon filter. Don't use the cartridges that it comes with.

I checked out the aqua clear 110 and wow they do run high at $89.00 I don't have that kind of cash right now, I have the aqueon quiet flow 20, I'm not really fond if it, I find the lid doesn't stay on properly and the cartridges really thin. I don't agree with using carbon, so I had cut it out but the sponge material is so thin... I took some foam and added extra to mine... Thing is they are pretty cheap so In thinking about getting the 55/75 and just customizing it, just hoping that maybe its just my cover that is flimsy or defective and its bit like that if I get another. Haven't seen anything else that's around that price that has had good reviews. I will look into getting an aqua clear 110 when I upgrade my tank for sure.

It could just be a defective cover that you have. I haven't noticed any issues with mine. I don't like using carbon on a regular basis, either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk