Carmen Bottom Sitting More Than Usual

LisaCGold

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 (maybe a smidgeon above and definitely not .25)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 (uncycled)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 71 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29G, 1.5 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 50, AC 20
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 to 4 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Late Sunday 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 2 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, crushed coral
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice, NLS Thera A and veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? not right now
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Finished third round of prazi on 12/12. Between second and third round, did three days of Epsom salt because of constipation.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yesterday I noticed that Carmen had a string like thing coming out of her month. She would suck it back into her mouth and then it would come back out. After a couple of times it stayed in her mouth. The string looked like it was part of her. It was about .25 inch.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting more than usual. An increase of about 30% more bottom sitting.

My posting maybe premature, but over the last couple of days Carmen's bottom sitting has increased. There are no unusual findings on Carmen other than what I wrote above. The increase in bottom sitting concerns me. Jack, the other fish in the tank, shows a little more bottom sitting but no where near what Carmen is doing.

Poop looks good--not too long, looks like the color of the food.

Picture and video to follow.

Here is photo of Carmen. Not really bottom sitting--she sleeps like this and hangs out like this.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/Carmenhangingout_zps2c567b4a.jpg

Edited by LisaCGold

Here is video link:

When I video her, she gets quite active looking for food from me. She is quite responsive right now. So this video is probably not that informative. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the increase in bottom sitting/hanging out at the bottom concerns me.

Edited by LisaCGold

Could it have been a portion of the slimecoat? I also think photos or a video of her bottomsitting would be helpful.

It was not what I imagine slimecoat to look like. It looked more like a thin piece of cartilage of some type.

I'll try to post more photos and/or another video of her bottom sitting.

I just tried to take a video of her in that hanging out position (her version of bottom sitting these days), but she got up and started swimming around. I did notice she was "yawning" more than usual.

Lisa, do you notice that whenever Carmen is afloat, she is wriggling about swimming, and there is no time when she just hangs and rests in the middle or top of the water? I just wanted to see if this is true.

Lisa, do you notice that whenever Carmen is afloat, she is wriggling about swimming, and there is no time when she just hangs and rests in the middle or top of the water? I just wanted to see if this is true.

Let me observe her for a day and I'll report back sometime tonight.

Here are some videos I took yesterday and today of Carmen. During the taping, I’m describing things so that I don’t have to type everything here.

Yesterday, a couple of hours after morning meal of spirulina flakes:

Yesterday, several hours after midday meal of very little dehydrated krill and then more spirulina flakes:

Yesterday, 8 hours after midday meal (didn’t feed them anymore that day):

Today, about an hour after morning meal of spirulina flakes. This is almost a 3 minute video. This is Carmen in the Java moss sanctuary:

Since this taping, Carmen went into the Java moss sanctuary again. I moved the moss over so that she can more easily get out, but I do worry she will get caught and not swim her way out. I’m planning on tying some of the Java moss to rocks, but haven’t gotten around to doing it yet. I was planning on taking out the sanctuary when the Java moss on the rocks started spreading (which will be months from now). Do I need to give up that plan and take out the sanctuary now so that Carmen doesn’t get herself caught in it? Do I fill up the sanctuary more sparsely so that it will be easier for Carmen to get out? I do have more shower caddies coming in (much smaller ones) to temporarily house more moss and other plants. Actually I was wanting to use them as plant sanctuaries for marimo moss, java moss, and anacharis. But it seems that Carmen sees these are her bedding.

I could just move the sanctuaries up towards the top so that Carmen could not get in them, but obviously she needs them (for either enjoyment or it is masking an issue she is having).

When I first put in the Marimo moss (more than a month ago), Carmen would always find a way to nest herself among the moss balls, especially between the balls and the glass.

Based on this limited experiment, it seems there is less “sleeping” when I avoid pellet food. I’ve made some agar agar gel food that includes some bentonite clay. So I can try that tomorrow.

Right now, Carmen is swimming around like normal—no apparent floaty issues.

Any thoughts if what you see in the videos is normal or of concern?

Edited by LisaCGold