Sign in to follow this  
Linzi Glitter

The Cat-Goldfish Relationship

The relationship between my cat, Savvy, and the goldfish is a constant source of amusement. Whenever they see her near the tank, they swim up all wiggly and friendly to say hello. She clearly wants to eat them!

SavvyandFish_zps965f1780.jpg

Anyone else have animals that (hilariously) interact with their fish?

Edited by Linzi Glitter

Totally adorbs! Aka... Totes McGotes :wub:

Btw, it's from a commercial that I find hysterical :rofl

My cat loves my fish. They kiss him and try to eat his feet. He tries to smell them.

It's only adorbs now that I have a very secure hood!

My cat loves my fish. They kiss him and try to eat his feet. He tries to smell them.

That's so cute! :D

Savvy was actually pivotal in my decision to get goldfish. We took her to a fancy cattery one time we went away, and they had lots of huge goldfish tanks between the cat enclosures. I couldn't believe how big and beautiful the fish were! The manager said that the natural movement of the fish was both stimulating and relaxing for the cats - like cat TV! :rofl Then I started to think about how lovely a tank like that would be in my house, and the rest is history!

Edited by Linzi Glitter

That's sooooo cute you got your cat a cat TV :rofl

That's sooooo cute you got your cat a cat TV :rofl

She got to name one of the fish, hence why I have a goldfish called Mao. But she's not allowed to eat him!!!!!!

I love it!

In the 3 1/2 years we've had fish I don't think that my cat has even noticed :D He's not the sharpest tool in the shed though.

The dogs and bearded dragon enjoy watching them though :)

My cat sits on the sofa and watches them swim. I think he enjoys them. But nothing funny or cute.

That photo of your cat and the fish is so sweet!!

I love that! Your cat is so funny. We have a Basset Hound that gets very jealous whenever I dote on my tank and suddenly desperately needs attention! I am very curious to see how our cat will react once we have goldies at the house again.

Harvey (my kitten) is constantly attempting to get one of my bettas and my betta has learned that he is safe in his tank so he'll give him a good chase.

I love that photo, though. :D:heart

Edited by Chai

My cat sits on the sofa and watches them swim. I think he enjoys them. But nothing funny or cute.

Sounds like your fish are 'Cat TV' too!

That photo of your cat and the fish is so sweet!!

Thank you, she makes me laugh. This isn't even the funniest she can be around them! Sometimes she will sit on the hood with her back legs and dangle her front end over the edge so she can touch the glass with her mittens!

I love that! Your cat is so funny. We have a Basset Hound that gets very jealous whenever I dote on my tank and suddenly desperately needs attention! I am very curious to see how our cat will react once we have goldies at the house again.

hahaha that's cute! Savvy is a bit the same, she runs around playing with the hoses at water change time!

Edited by Linzi Glitter

:rofl That is too funny. :rofl

I don't think that Dash cares about the existence of the fish.

Harvey (my kitten) is constantly attempting to get one of my bettas and my betta has learned that he is safe in his tank so he'll give him a good chase.

Kitten vs. betta, how adorbs! Does your betta flare at him?

:rofl That is too funny. :rofl

I don't think that Dash cares about the existence of the fish.

So many lols in my house! It must come down to the temperament of the cat. Because I've had the tank for nearly a year now and she's just as interested!

Kitten vs. betta, how adorbs! Does your betta flare at him?
Sometimes but mostly he will just swim around in circles/up and down. He would just hide before he realized that he can't actually do anything... Then things became a little more interesting. :rofl

My cat, Jr, isn't interested in the fish, but loves to watch the water in the clear tubing quickly exiting the tank when I do a WC ;)

It's only adorbs now that I have a very secure hood!

That's so cute! :D

Savvy was actually pivotal in my decision to get goldfish. We took her to a fancy cattery one time we went away, and they had lots of huge goldfish tanks between the cat enclosures. I couldn't believe how big and beautiful the fish were! The manager said that the natural movement of the fish was both stimulating and relaxing for the cats - like cat TV! :rofl Then I started to think about how lovely a tank like that would be in my house, and the rest is history!

We also once had to put our cats in a cattery. We were quite pleased to see their cat 'tv', thought it might make our cats feel more at home.

Sheba likes to sit on top of the hoods because of the warmth from the lights. She used to fall in to the 55g when she got sufficiently relaxed (the back of the tank was open) until I recently built a screen to cover it.

Radar is much more interested in the fish themselves. He has always loved watching them. He had a special fondness for my old loach Spazz. After Spazz died Radar would circle the tank looking for him and you could tell he was wondering where he was. Radar still watches the fish, but I suspect he considers Fitz, the new loach, an imposter.

My cat, Jr, isn't interested in the fish, but loves to watch the water in the clear tubing quickly exiting the tank when I do a WC ;)

There's a life lesson in that - sometimes it's good to appreciate the small things in life! :D

We also once had to put our cats in a cattery. We were quite pleased to see their cat 'tv', thought it might make our cats feel more at home.

Sheba likes to sit on top of the hoods because of the warmth from the lights. She used to fall in to the 55g when she got sufficiently relaxed (the back of the tank was open) until I recently built a screen to cover it.

Radar is much more interested in the fish themselves. He has always loved watching them. He had a special fondness for my old loach Spazz. After Spazz died Radar would circle the tank looking for him and you could tell he was wondering where he was. Radar still watches the fish, but I suspect he considers Fitz, the new loach, an imposter.

I covered the open part at the back of my hood with pet mesh, just to be sure there wasn't too much goldfish-cat interaction! Could she get out by herself or did you have to rescue her?! :yikes

Poor Radar, he misses his fishy friend :(

It's nice that they interact and provide some extra stimulation for one another!

I covered the open part at the back of my hood with pet mesh, just to be sure there wasn't too much goldfish-cat interaction! Could she get out by herself or did you have to rescue her?! :yikes

It's nice that they interact and provide some extra stimulation for one another!

The first few times she fell in I ran to help her out, but I only arrived in time for the shake off. I learned to just head for the towels.

Jake, the kitten chases the Berta, too. It's very absorbing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Betta!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Oh how sweet!!! :wub::heart :heart

The relationship between my cat, Savvy, and the goldfish is a constant source of amusement. Whenever they see her near the tank, they swim up all wiggly and friendly to say hello. She clearly wants to eat them!

My cats for the most part ignore my fish. You would think that they would have a fun time watching these big fish swim around, but they could hardly care less. They care much more about the water in the tanks. One of my cats, Pepper, likes to drink out of my guppy tank, and I'm sure she would love to drink out of the goldfish tank if it was in a more reachable spot for her.

Once, I had my goldfish in a bucket sitting on a chair while I did a water change. I turned away for a minute, and when I looked back, both my cats were at the bucket drinking out of it! :wacko: They payed no attention to the goldfish, they just seemed to want to drink the exotic water.

The first few times she fell in I ran to help her out, but I only arrived in time for the shake off. I learned to just head for the towels.

Poor darling, I bet she wasn't happy!!!