What do you do with your fry?

Abyss

Great care sheet - I'm sure the lucky recipient will be very grateful!

I love the part about which filter to use; most people don't know goldfish need extra filtration and assume they should buy the filter rated for their tank size.

One question: in the part about transferring the fish to the tank, you mentioned "the netted fish" - is this correct? Did you mean to say to gently pick the fish up with your hand (as opposed to with a net)?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you leave the eggs to hatch in the tank with the adults you will save money on fish food. :feedme

My choo eggs hatched over the weekend and the adults ate every last one of them. I was going to try and save two that were hiding in the plants but before I could reach for the net, Peaches snagged them both. :no: I was thinking about getting another tank to raise future fry, but now I wonder what the heck I would do with all of those fish.

If you leave the eggs to hatch in the tank with the adults you will save money on fish food.? :feedme

?

My choo eggs hatched over the weekend and the adults ate every last one of them. I was going to try and save two that were hiding in the plants but before I could reach for the net, Peaches snagged them both.? :no:? I was thinking about getting another tank to raise future fry, but now I wonder what the heck I would do with all of those fish.?

Even with a fry tank, only a couple survived for me. Now I only have one left out of the 13 I rescued from the main tank. But I think a lot of this is due to me not treating for flukes (I didn't know I had to until it was too late, and the one store I found that carried prazi was backordered - I don't know why more stores don't stock it since flukes are so common).

Either way, you don't need to take hundreds of eggs out for the fry tank, but having a fry tank does greatly increase the odds of survival (assuming you follow all the recommendations).

[quote name="*Amanda*" post="1637708" timestamp="

One question: in the part about transferring the fish to the tank, you mentioned "the netted fish" - is this correct? Did you mean to say to gently pick the fish up with your hand (as opposed to with a net)?

I guess I worded it horribly, I meant net the fish and place your hand under the fish to stabalize it, like cup your hand around it guess I've gotta change that part lol thanks :)

I would actually not use a net at all - they can damage the fins. I would just pick the fish up gently using both hands in a cupping motion, and place the fish into the tank.

I was curious about nets vs. hands and did a poll awhile back. The consensus was that hands are preferable, with a container being ideal for tank-to-tank transfers (but this can be difficult when taking a fish out of a plastic bag, and you wouldn't want to pour the water from the bag into the tank).

I'm sort of wondering what I'm going to do with all of my fry once they're big enough. I probably have close to a hundred, and I'm only planning on keeping the prettiest ones (I kinda have to with numbers like that! :rofl) I'm planning on giving the rest to the local pet store that specializes in fish, and has been really helpful with me getting my bigger tanks. I hope they'll give me store credit, or at least a few plants or something. When I called them up about taking some of the excess guppies I had from their prolific breeding, they had said that they would re-home them but wouldn't pay or give store credit. I don't know if it's going to be any different for fancy goldfish or not. :unsure: