What do you do with your fry?

Abyss

I'm curious as to what everyone that has been breeding longer than myself does with their fry stock when old enough to let go of them.

I have typed up and saved an add that I plan on posting on Kijiji (site like Craigslist for those ppl not in Canada) once my fry are around 4-6 months old once showing nice form/colouring. I can post the add I made for you guys at the end of this post, if you guys have any recommendations or input on it.

I'm curious if I can call myself a breeder in the add? I'm raiding 3 different spawns from 2 different parings/types of goldfish, I'm just not sure if you need a license to be able to call yourself one, if you're doing it home based and not on a huge scale. I plan on selling the fry other than the few I'd like to keep for a few dollars less than the pets stores in my area and might give a few away to friends.

I also stopped by at a local pet store I'm planning on applying there for a part time job while being home to care for my kids during the week, to bring in some extra cash. I had been talking to the manager there who was new to that location and we were talking about goldfish, apparently he really enjoys them too and even told me how he wanted to make the goldfish section there larger with more varieties (which I told him was awesome). I asked him where they got their goldfish and he had told me Singapore. That sort of shocked me because I thought he was going to say somewhere in Canada, the other shop petsmart I go to occasionally gets theirs from Toronto. I had asked the girl working there before I went to talk to him if they accept fish from people and what they do and she said we only accept free fish, we don't pay for them then I asked 'not even for store credit?' And she said no. I didn't mention that to the manager but might if I started working there. I had asked him if he was interested in having a local supplier and he said he might be, but I'm sure he gets his fish for dirt cheap from Singapore. Anyways I might try to get more info if I started working there, I'm just disappointed that they won't accept anything besides free fish, I would have enjoyed making a bit if cash for supplies or even trading fish for other kinds would have been fun.

Do most of you get payed for your fry? Just breed for fun and give them free? If you do get payed how did you go about doing it? Just curious..

Sorry so long and thanks for you time :) excited to see your responses! <3

Here is the add I made, let me know what you think :)

Meg's Fancy Goldfish

Looking for a rewarding pet that you don't need to take out for walks, train or pay expensive vet bills?

Provided you have a large enough aquarium (minimum of 20gallon per fish) and can do weekly or bi-weekly water changes and maintenance which takes around 2 hours or less weekly, owning a goldfish can be one of the most rewarding and relaxing pet to own.

My name is Meg and I'm currently breeding black moor and demekin (moor/ryukin cross) fancy goldfish. I'm not a mass breeder, I have a small quantity of healthy well maintained stock available. Spawned and raised with great love and care.

Each fish comes with a care sheet created by myself and a recommended list of products for health and feeding. I can also provide my number for any questions or concerns.

I'm selling my fish for $4/fish or $12 for 4 for the black moor and $6/fish and $18 for 4. Please only contact me if your an experienced fish keeper, I don't want these fish in bowls!

Thanks for you time, please respond by email if interested with your full name and any questions, have a great day!

My fry go as bait. It is a good 6-8 months of care before they go. This means that we catch a juvenile pickerel and let it prey in the pond for a bit to lower the numbers. I can give them away free to a pet store if I wanted but it is a long drive. I have three ponds that I fill with adults that are outdoors and two ponds indoors that I can raise juveniles in the summer. I may be building more ponds in the future since it is addicting.

I don't think I will have an issue with running out of room for a while. This year there was only 100 fry caught that have been divvied out.

If you want to get paid for your fish by a large company, you will have to become a business yourself. You will get tax forms from them at the end of the year. Are you sure that is a road you want to travel for a small amount of money?

There are a few errors. About 4 lines down, "pets" not pet. The second part where you list prices, it is unclear which fish are $6 each or 4 for $18. Near the end, you want to use "you're" instead of "your" when stating if your an experienced fish keeper.

I was able to sell a few of my fish to my local fish store. They took a number of my angels and bristlenose plecos.

You can also try aquabid. I sold a number of fish on there. You would either have to say pickup only or consider shipping.

Well my local stores won't even accept free fish ... which seems silly to me because many of the ones they get in from their supplier are sick and/or deformed. It's doubtful you'd make much money off them anyway though, unless you used really high quality breeding stock and the fry are also really high quality. You could try selling them via auction at Aquabid.

I only have one surviving fry out of the 13 I originally had 4 1/2 months ago, so he/she is going in with my other fish once he/she is big enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There are a few errors. About 4 lines down, "pets" not pet. The second part where you list prices, it is unclear which fish are $6 each or 4 for $18. Near the end, you want to use "you're" instead of "your" when stating if your an experienced fish keeper.

Guess I didn't do a thourough spell check, I hate autocorrect for that I'm in an iPod

Guess I didn't do a thourough spell check, I hate autocorrect for that I'm in an iPod

Haha they upgraded the software at work, and now when I try to type "micro" (for microbiology), it automatically changes it to "Microsoft" - out of all the words that begin with the prefix "micro"!

Well the one I went to said not even a credit, made me sad, I wanted some cheap stuff! Lol

I meant to say my local fish stores, but somehow it turned into the local fish stores. So good of me to make broad statements for all of them. :tomuch:

Meg's Fancy Goldfish

Looking for a rewarding pet that you don't need to take out for walks, train or pay expensive vet bills?

Provided you have a large enough aquarium (minimum of 20gallon per fish) and can do weekly or bi-weekly water changes and maintenance which takes around 2 hours or less weekly, owning a goldfish can be one of the most rewarding and relaxing pet to own.

My name is Meg and I'm currently breeding black moor and demekin (moor/ryukin cross) fancy goldfish. I'm not a mass breeder, I have a small quantity of healthy well maintained stock available. Spawned and raised with great love and care.

Each fish comes with a care sheet created by myself and a recommended list of products for health and feeding. I can also provide my number for any questions or concerns.

I'm selling my fish for $4/fish or $12 for 4 for the black moor and $6/fish and $18 for 4. Please only contact me if your an experienced fish keeper, I don't want these fish in bowls!

Thanks for you time, please respond by email if interested with your full name and any questions, have a great day!

I think it's a nice add, if I was in Canada and looking for stock I would probably contact you! I don't think you need to say you're not a mass breeder. The next sentence about small quantity of healthy stock gets this same idea across in a more buyer friendly way.

It might also be worth rephrasing the experienced fish keeper part, because this might deter people who aren't necessarily experienced, but who would be dedicated to providing high quality care (eg. I wouldn't call myself an experienced fish keeper, but with the help of Koko's I have been able to keep my fish in excellent health). Maybe 'Please only contact me if you plan on providing quality care for these fish' or something to that effect might be better.

Good luck finding homes for your fry! :)

Also, did you mean semiweekly or biweekly? When I was a proofreader I remember the AP stylebook said semiweekly=twice a week and biweekly=every other week. I just wanted to be sure! Of course, you could also just say twice a week ... it causes enough confusion that they had to put it in the stylebook, and I didn't know the difference before that. :-)

I am so happy you are providing a care sheet! You might even want to have the prospective buyer tell YOU about their setup. Some people might not know how many gallons their tank is, and think it is 20+ gallons but be way off. I'd also make sure they have a filter, because some people only have an airstone and think it's sufficient. Good luck finding people! I'm sure you will.

Edited by *Amanda*

My lfs takes them for cash :o It's pretty cool because they're always buying from local breeders so every time I pop in for a visit, they'll have specific tanks full of fry from the locals. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a breeder though simply because I don't do it on purpose. I didn't choose my fish specifically for the intention of breeding even if I did handspawn. My fish were in the mood for some hanky panky and I ended up raising the results haha.

Good luck finding homes for your fry! I'm sure they'll be swooped up soon on sites like craigslist :)

Meg's Fancy Goldfish

I think it's a nice add, if I was in Canada and looking for stock I would probably contact you! I don't think you need to say you're not a mass breeder. The next sentence about small quantity of healthy stock gets this same idea across in a more buyer friendly way.

It might also be worth rephrasing the experienced fish keeper part, because this might deter people who aren't necessarily experienced, but who would be dedicated to providing high quality care (eg. I wouldn't call myself an experienced fish keeper, but with the help of Koko's I have been able to keep my fish in excellent health). Maybe 'Please only contact me if you plan on providing quality care for these fish' or something to that effect might be better.

Good luck finding homes for your fry! :)

Thanks for that great advice, I definitely have time to fix up my add with everyone's help I appreciate it, it's not my intention to just do this to sell fish I'm enjoying way more watching them grow but if I can make a little cash on the side it can't hurt.

Also, did you mean semiweekly or biweekly? When I was a proofreader I remember the AP stylebook said semiweekly=twice a week and biweekly=every other week. I just wanted to be sure! Of course, you could also just say twice a week ... it causes enough confusion that they had to put it in the stylebook, and I didn't know the difference before that. :-)I am so happy you are providing a care sheet! You might even want to have the prospective buyer tell YOU about their setup. Some people might not know how many gallons their tank is, and think it is 20+ gallons but be way off. I'd also make sure they have a filter, because some people only have an airstone and think it's sufficient. Good luck finding people! I'm sure you will. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks Amanda :) yes I meant twice a week lol but I do understand some people only do once a week so I might change they part as well, of course I will make sure to ask about their setup and that they have a filter good enough for the size if their tank.

My lfs takes them for cash :o It's pretty cool because they're always buying from local breeders so every time I pop in for a visit, they'll have specific tanks full of fry from the locals. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a breeder though simply because I don't do it on purpose. I didn't choose my fish specifically for the intention of breeding even if I did handspawn. My fish were in the mood for some hanky panky and I ended up raising the results haha.

Good luck finding homes for your fry! I'm sure they'll be swooped up soon on sites like craigslist :)

Wow you're lucky your LFS buys locals fry. I think that's awesome how they support their customers like that and I'd love to shop in a place like that, where do you live?

Well finished typing my care sheet it is not that in depth but good enough, i havent spellchecked it yet so no spelling corrections please but if there is anything you guys think I should add let me know! Thanks :)

Goldfish care sheet

Feeding -

Goldfish are constantly looking for food so don't over feed them. Best time to feed them is 3 times a day, 3 small meals or twice a day a little bit larger meals if you can do it 3 times.

Goldfish are omnivores like ourselves but need more vegetable matter in their diet than meat. It is also best to feed them a variety of different foods to prevent constipation which can happen just like ourselves.

I feed my fish a mix between frozen fish foods (bloodworms/adult brine shrimp) you can buy at fish/pet stores there are also other kinds that are 'meat based' you may choose the kind you prefer but they love bloodworms! I feed them yhe frozen food twice a week, you may feed them up to 4 times a week if you want. I usually take a container of their tank water and drop one of the cubes in there to dissolve mix with a plastic fork and just pour it in the tank (if you only have one fish you might want to cut the cube in half and put the other half back in the freezer for later use. Just replace a meal of the 'staple' diet with that of the frozen foods.

'Staple diet' this is the base food that I use during the week when not feeding fresh or frozen foods. It is a mix of two different kinds of sinking (not floating!) pellet foods which are made with a mix of meat and vegetable matter. Below this paragraph I will provide a small list of recommended pellet foods but the two types that I use is a mix between Omega one-goldfish pellets and New Life Spectrum- goldfish pellets. I feed them a small amount sprinkled to the bottom of the tank so when the pellets soften they start eating them. I only feed them enough which they can manage to eat in a duration of 2-5 minutes so as not to spoil the water parameters with uneaten rotting food.

Recommended brands :

New Life Spectrum (golfish): expensive but full of fruits, veggies and extra vitamin supplements read the ingredients! Sells for around $17 a container

Omega One (goldfish):

More meat matter than New Life but still a good staple food. Sells for around $8-10

Hikari Lionhead goldfish food:

Even though its designed for lionhead goldfish, its a great pellets for every kind of fancy goldfish. Sells for around $5-10.

Please don't feed your goldfish flake food, it dirties the water very quickly and doesn't have as much nutrition in it and any type of floating food isn't good for goldfish. The floating food makes them gulp in air which can cause swim bladder issues as well as cause damage to their digestion tract.

Lastly is the 'fresh food'. It consists on any raw/blanched vegetable or fruit. My favorites to feed are lettuce (any kind), broccoli, spinach, cucumber, apples, banana and cantaloupe. Make sure that the firmer veggies and boiled for a few mins to soften them but not so much that it leeches nutrients out. Cut all pieces up vigorously and remove large bits, it should fit into the fish's mouth. Don't worry if they make attempts and spit it out and re-eat it, they have sharp type teeth in their throat that helps them break down food. Once fed wait 30minutes and use a net to remove uneaten leftover food.

If you can always feed them a variety like I've included please at least try include some frozen/fresh foods when you can, they will grow nice and plump and be so happy when its feeding time. It's my favorite time to watch them is when they are gobbling up their grub!

Tank Maitenence:

Once your tank is 'cycled', you are ready to add your fish! Google 'how to cycle a fish tank, if you are unsure what the nitrogen cycle is or are uneducated about beneficial bacteria in aquariums. Also, if you already have existing goldfish please read up on quarantining your fish for at least 4 weeks before adding thdm to your awuarium (you will need at least a smaller 10gallon tank with filter and airstone (barebottom! no gravel or substrate). You can register and make an account on the following 2 Internet forums to learn a lot about fish, make friends in your area and get help diagnosing any problems you might have if you can't get a hold of myself.

Sites are :

eastcoastaquariumsociety.ca

www.kokosgoldfish.com

Please float the fish in the bag I provided you with for at least 20minutes, so the water temperatures can match closely so as not to shock or stress the fish with huge temperature differences. Remove the bag after that time and cut the knot off the top of the bag. Use your net and gently scoop the fish hold you hand underneath the netted fish to stabilize the fish and place it in the tank.

Water change amounts vary for the size of your tank owned and you filter capacity. I'd recommend a weekly water change of 50-60% for tanks that are 20-25 gallons as long as you have filters that are stronger than the renin mended size on the box, goldfish need good filtering if you have a 20gallon go get a filter that could filter a 40gallon. You'll have a healthier goldfish because of it. If you have a tank that is 25 gallons or more I'd recommend a water change twice weekly of 60-80%. If you can only do it once a week for above 25gallon I'd recommend doing an 80% change.

Please put the appropriate water conditioners in the water just before or in the water that's recommended on the label to cycle and get rid of chemicals in tap water like chlorine and irons that can be toxic and harmful to your fish. Instead of hauling buckets to dump down you toilet or tub, please consider buying a Python brand or Aqueon water changer which sells for $25-50 that you can hook up directly to your sink and it drains the water down the sink when sucking up with the cleaning hose and let's you fill the tank back to with ease but please remember to put a piece of panty hose or supervise it when it's sucking up do you don't suck your fish up it can harm them badly.

I recommend Nutrafin Cycle for newly established tanks and Seachem Prime water conditioner or Nutrafin Aquaplus water conditioner.

Remember to remove the filter insert or clean you canister filter with some tank water you just removed from the tank, putting chlorine tap water into your filter will kill as the good bacteria in it that helps your aquarium remove waste!

If you have a hang on back type filter if recommend cleaning the insert once a week and if you have a canister/external filter id clean it around once a month. Please read up on filters and biological filter media if you are unsure about them.

I'd do a quick clean with an aquarium cleaning pad every 2 weeks or if it starts to build up, the fish font mind it they like to eat it but it can make it hard to see in the tank. You can use the water changer to dig into the gravel or sand substrate to clean the bits of mulm (poop) or uneaten food away. I've had many different kinds of substrates: gravel, sand, coral and dirt and you can also do a bare bottom tank with some potted plants if you prefer, but I'm partial to sand as my substrate its easy to clean and its nice to watch your fish root through it like they are instinctually inclined to do.

Please follow the rule of thumb for tank size vs. fish. Goldfish require at minimum 20gallons of water for one fish and an extra 10 gallons each additional fish, but if you can do 20gallons per fish that is the best and healthiest way to have it. So for a 20gallon tank (have one fish) for a 40 gallon (2 fish) for a 75 you could do 3 fish, a tight 4 but would need bigger water changes.

Diseases:

There is usually an easy way to tell if you fish is sick, they start to swim differently than normal, appear different then normal (other than natural colour change) or aren't eating like they normally do. Here is a quick list of some of the diseases fish can get but I'd advise you to read up on goldfish diseases so you know what to look out for, most are not to hard to treat and inexpensive to treat.

-Fish lice or parasites like hookworm or tapeworm

-Fungus

-Bacterial wounds or infections

-Dropsy (fish's whole body swells and pinecones

-Swim bladder disease (floating, swimming upside down or sinking)

Please be a responsible pet owner, read as much as you can to learn about how to care for your fish properly, contact me or someone on the forum if you need help or advice!

Goldfish that are well taken care of can grow up to 14 inches, depending on age and type of goldfish and can live from 5-15 years!

If you got to the end of this really long info sheet and read it all I commend you! You're on your way to becoming a really great owner with healthy and happy fish! It's an awesome hobby that really makes you feel good :) if you ever need advice or have questions please don't hesitate to call me,

Meghan (506) 382-6385

Email- crasscrust@hotmail.com or eyevvy@gmail.com

Edited by Abyss