Nerites and the neverending quarantine

jenzaar

Some of you know that I got some leopard/zorro nerites recently. I've had them for about three weeks now, and still don't feel comfortable adding them to my tank.

Of six, five still remain. Two keep messing with me, looking dead and not moving, while three of them zoom around pretty consistently. I'm not sure that they even eat. :idont

This morning I was changing the water, and it smelled funky. So I stuck my nose to the dead looking ones, and yeah, they stink. But they are most definitely still alive. I smell one of the seemingly healthy snails, and that one does not give me the air of roses either. Do snails always smell weird? Is it not normal to sniff snails at 9 in the morning? :hide:

I wouldn't mind continuing this until I feel they are healthy and able to go in the big tank (and maybe that's all they need, but they're not going near my fishes! :stop), but we are going on vacation in ten days. :yikes I don't know what to do.

Anyone have some advice to offer? My only idea is to transfer some media to my unused filter, and stick it in the 10 gallon?

To me, snails always have a slightly earthy smell, almost like aquarium smell. The ones that keep messing with you, are you very sure they are alive? And do they smell like the dead one did? If they do, I wonder if they're dying.

How warm is their water?

:rofl

Well at least I know I'm doing the right thing by keeping them in QT.

Anyone wanna sniff a healthy snail for a girl in need? :rofl

Also, do you think I should put the two snails in question into their own tub?

To me, snails always have a slightly earthy smell, almost like aquarium smell. The ones that keep messing with you, are you very sure they are alive? And do they smell like the dead one did? If they do, I wonder if they're dying.

How warm is their water?

Whoops I just saw yours now!

One of those two snails has been holed up for a few days now. The other was kind of hangy (and is like that a lot), but when I touched his trap door he closed up a bit.

The dead one did not smell at all. :idont But I do wonder if they are dying. They're the two prettiest ones, too. er!

Their water is room temp. Probably around 70 degrees, it gets hot in here!

How warm is their water?

One of those two snails has been holed up for a few days now. The other was kind of hangy (and is like that a lot), but when I touched his trap door he closed up a bit.

The dead one did not smell at all. :idont But I do wonder if they are dying. They're the two prettiest ones, too. er!

That hanginess would make me worry. Snails don't generally just flop around. Maybe it would be a good idea to separate the concerning ones from the healthy ones. That way you can do a few more daily WCs for the healthy ones and get them into the tank, while further observing the ones that are holding everyone else back.

When I moved house, I lost all 5 of my nerites :( as Chelsea said, they may be dying, mine didn't die straight away, one hung in there for weeks, but was very flopping and never really moved. I lost all my MTS too. I'm still not sure what happened, but I'm scared to give them another go at this house. I hope your strange smelling nerites are okay, and I hope you get to add them to your tank soon :)

So when it comes to nerite snails, at least with mine and the ones that i had, some die some dont, i have had the same nerite snail for a long time but some of the newer ones that i bought have died already...if i remember correctly most are wild caught so i can understand why they dont survive in an aquarium....

When snails with trapdoors die they usually release their trap door and open up, if they are closed up tight they are still alive, whether they are sick is another thing.

Nerites also eat algae, so if they are not eating for you it might be that they dont prefer what you are feeding them...i know i have seen mine munch on kale though...im pretty sure they were at least....

?

?

How warm is their water?

?

?

?

That hanginess would make me worry. Snails don't generally just flop around. Maybe it would be a good idea to separate the concerning ones from the healthy ones. That way you can do a few more daily WCs for the healthy ones and get them into the tank, while further observing the ones that are holding everyone else back.
I think I will do just that. Thanks, Chelsea. :hug

When I moved house, I lost all 5 of my nerites :( as Chelsea said, they may be dying, mine didn't die straight away, one hung in there for weeks, but was very flopping and never really moved. I lost all my MTS too. I'm still not sure what happened, but I'm scared to give them another go at this house. I hope your strange smelling nerites are okay, and I hope you get to add them to your tank soon :)

Thanks so much! I don't really have high hopes for those two, but now that I have more of an idea I definitely want to get them separated. Just for the safety of everyone else, my fish being the main concern!

So sorry to hear you lost all yours. :( maybe they just had a really hard time adapting. :idont

So when it comes to nerite snails, at least with mine and the ones that i had, some die some dont, i have had the same nerite snail for a long time but some of the newer ones that i bought have died already...if i remember correctly most are wild caught so i can understand why they dont survive in an aquarium....

?

When snails with trapdoors die they usually release their trap door and open up, if they are closed up tight they are still alive, whether they are sick is another thing.

?

Nerites also eat algae, so if they are not eating for you it might be that they dont prefer what you are feeding them...i know i have seen mine munch on kale though...im pretty sure they were at least....

Thanks. I've found that they prefer algae off of leaves more than anything else I've provided. But until my fish pulls another off an anubias leaf I'm all out! :o

I expected to lose at least one, but they've just waited so long so it's weird to me.

I'll get the floppy snail in its own home asap.

So far I've tried cucumber (some success but ran out), lettuce (blanched and raw - no luck), zucchini, algae wafers, and algae-covered rocks and leaves from the tank. Also repashy in the beginning but I never found anyone eating that either. The rocks and leaves are what I've seen them go for the most.

I would second the separating out the weird ones. Nerites are the strangest of the strange. My nerites did eat repashy but went most crazy for dandelion leaves. Honestly, we had one that didn't move, didn't eat. I kept checking and he was maybe alive but eventually.... I tossed him.

I just didn't want a dying snail around the fish... or even the other snails. This creature just lay sort of floppy on its side for about 2 weeks, retracting if you touched him.

I would second the separating out the weird ones. Nerites are the strangest of the strange. My nerites did eat repashy but went most crazy for dandelion leaves. Honestly, we had one that didn't move, didn't eat. I kept checking and he was maybe alive but eventually.... I tossed him.

I just didn't want a dying snail around the fish... or even the other snails. This creature just lay sort of floppy on its side for about 2 weeks, retracting if you touched him.

Remember you commented on the status I had made about a snail that holed up? That's one of the two being separated! :o

The one that's been pretty floppy, I've actually just found him suckered to the bottom of his container. Who knows what's going on. I wish there were more definitive terms used to describe snails. Didn't think I'd need so many. :rofl

Two weeks is a long time for that.

Yeah, I'm pretty tolerant about snail behavior (or lack of behavior) and also fairly 'sensitive' about animal life but after two weeks of clearly not doing well, I couldn't take it. I started to think that he would poison everyone else. Suckered to the bottom is good! Laying on the side long term, not so much.

Update:

The three healthy snails are lookin' just fine this morning.

The floppy snail has actually moved all over his QT last night. :nana The other one lays dormant, still in his shell, with a weird film suspended about 1/8" all around him. :yikes Pretty stinky in there, too. Time to whip out a third tub. :rofl

Thanks guys!

I'm glad at least 3 are looking good. :) but I'm really pulling for the 4th. I won't have any zigzags if not for him. :idont

Update:

The floppy snail has actually moved all over his QT last night. :nanaThe other one lays dormant, still in his shell, with a weird film suspended about 1/8" all around him. :yikes Pretty stinky in there, too. Time to whip out a third tub. :rofl

I think that one is dead. Mine has no smell besides the usual aquarium/earthy smell

Update:

The floppy snail has actually moved all over his QT last night. :nanaThe other one lays dormant, still in his shell, with a weird film suspended about 1/8" all around him. :yikes Pretty stinky in there, too. Time to whip out a third tub. :rofl

I think that one is dead. Mine has no smell besides the usual aquarium/earthy smell
I do too.. I've been holding onto him though because it seems to be the consensus that he should have "opened up" if he were dead. But I'm pretty certain that he is. Ugh I don't wanna touch it haha