Scored a 55 with stand. Now what?

Fallon254

I need some help. My fish have been not quite right for a bit. We have ordered meds and I have a discussion on D&D. Once I get them better, I think I will continue to have problems they have stayed healthy for 16 months, but bottom line I believe is that they've outgrown their 29.

I just found a nearly new Marineland 55 with matching stand for $180 I pick it up on Sat.

Do I need to cycle it? Or can I move the current water, and filter and hook up my Aquaclear 50 that's been in storage? I also think I need a canister. I'd like to keep the 29 running as a QT tank perhaps.

Any suggestions on my next step appreciated. I'm hoping this will keep them happy and healthy for a long while.

You can move your filter but it'd be better not to move the water and just start with fresh clean water. They'll appreciate that. The filter is what's cycled so giving them fresh clean water will be like doing a 100% water change

If your 29 is fully cycled then you can fill the tank with fresh water and move the fish and filter over to the new tank. Then you just need to double check the params everyday for a week to make sure you don't have a bump. I don't believe you need the old water from the 29 either :)

A mod will correct me if I'm wrong though :)

And CONGRATS on the upgrade!! Good luck with treatment!

:clapping:

Congrats on the upgrade. The advice you have received - transfer the filter not the water - is sound in most cases.

Since you have a D & D case running, I would wait to transfer them to a bigger tank and see what Alex has to say. It wouldn't be very nice to transfer problems from the old tank to the new and need to do much larger water changes to treat the fish.

Good advice so far. No need to keep the 29 running as a QT. As soon as you're remove the filter, the cycle is mostly gone and when you remove the fish, there will be no waste produced to keep the cycle going. Shut it down, clean it up, and store it away. You sure can get a canister filter if you want but a HOB that flows 350 gph or more will be a sufficient addition to your Aquaclear 50. 2 big goldies in a 29 that doesn't have adequate filtration and water changes could lead to health problems. This 55 will be great for 2 fish. Be sure to stay on top of the water parameters and enjoy!

I should have clarified, I currently have a aqua clear 70 on the 29 :) already upgraded from the 50 (when they were wee bitty it was fine). So hoping the 70 and the 50 on the 55 will be sufficient until I can get my canister. Ill post pics when I get then settled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh just picked up the tank and I'm concerned about some cracks on the corners of the black edging bottom and top. It still holds water, but?? All the glass is good its just the plastic on the outside has a few scrapes/cracks. Is it still useable?

The new tank looks awesome, looks like your fish have a happy future ahead! Depending on what kind of problems you've had, it might also be worth asking Alex about transferring your media over as well. It would be time consuming and annoying, but starting your cycle again with pure ammonia in the new tank could avoid transferring any nasties across with your media. Just something worth considering!

The new tank looks awesome, looks like your fish have a happy future ahead! Depending on what kind of problems you've had, it might also be worth asking Alex about transferring your media over as well. It would be time consuming and annoying, but starting your cycle again with pure ammonia in the new tank could avoid transferring any nasties across with your media. Just something worth considering!

Thanks Linzi! Too late I got them in already :/. It was bacterial and likely related to my high nitrates. They simply need more space, more clean water, and more filtration. I'm hopeful (so far so good) when I get the new canister our woes will be over :)

Thanks Linzi! Too late I got them in already :/. It was bacterial and likely related to my high nitrates. They simply need more space, more clean water, and more filtration. I'm hopeful (so far so good) when I get the new canister our woes will be over :)

It's amazing the problems that space, clean water and filtration can fix! Good luck! :D