Potential Negative Impact of Releasing Goldfish into the Wild on Amphibian Populations

dnalex

Interesting, carp are illegal here in Australia because of the risk they pose to the environment. Hefty fine, too

All the waterways connected to the Mississippi river have asian green carp issues. Flooding brought them to landlocked lakes also. It is destroying some great fishing grounds. The problem started not with pet owners but with eco management. They thought they could control bugs and algae. Fools!!!!! Plenty of the communities along the waters have an economical system that is dependent on the bass fishing. The carp are destroying the populations of bass by overcrowding the waters. This is costing millions. A lot of the funds allocated for eradicating the carp are tax dollars.

In Australia we have so many pest species that are the result of bad eco management. Ask any Aussie what they think about Cane Toads! When humans domesticate animals such as goldfish, we make them dependent on us and we therefore have a responsibility to them. I think that responsibility extends to managing their impact on the wild ecosystems, and rehoming responsibly.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's not just animals that can get out of control. Kudzu vines, anyone?

Or, a species very near and dear to my heart: Garlic mustard. Growing up, the back yard in my parents' house was full of this stuff. We always used to call it "juleweed", but I never knew what it was actually called until a few years ago. It was brought over from Europe in the 1800's as a food crop, I believe. Back in Europe, it has all kinds of fungi and predators to keep its numbers down, but there's none of that here.

The worst thing about garlic mustard is that it effectively poisons the area around it, making it difficult for anything that isn't garlic mustard to grow there--so even if you tear it all out of the ground, you're hard-pressed to find something else that'll grow in its place. Once my parents learned it was invasive, they started taking action and trying to eradicate it from the yard, but...well, let's just say it'll probably be a while before our yard looks as lush as it did with the garlic mustard growing there.