Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

3 males and a female...

Hi everyone! So sorry I haven't been too active - all 4 of my guys are doing well in their 75 gallon tank :) They did fine when I was gone for 5 days for Thanksgiving (on an automatic feeder...Eheim!) and that made me feel better about leaving them when I'm away for Christmas (for 6-7 days).

Over the past 2 days - right before and continuing after my latest weekly WC of 90% - I noticed that Clem and Speckle had some red streaking in their fins. I thought at first maybe the pH was bad - but all tests came back fine. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm, and pH 8 - 8.2...which is how I have always kept them and how they like it.

My plants are growing great, snails are growing like weeds and laying eggs....everything seems fine. Except that the fishies seem a little agitated. So I treated for flukes (just began prazi yesterday) because I haven't in a while, and they seemed to react to that so I thought GREAT! But today Clem's streaks have remained while Speckle's are starting to go away. What I'm wondering is if maybe Mr. B and Clem are fighting over Speckle...Pickle, Mr. B, and Clem are all males. Pickle doesn't really care about chasing, but Mr. B is BIG into it and definitely established himself as the "big man in the tank" lol Lately Clem has been trying to oust Mr.B and chase Speckle. Usually they just push her around together, but maybe he's starting to piss Mr. B off?

My question is....does anyone have similar experience? And would buying another female to add to the tank help offset the aggression? (2 females to 3 males) Speckle hasn't laid any eggs yet that I've seen. Would 5 fish in a 75 be too many? I certainly do not want to take up their space.

Any responses helpful :)

Update: I caught Mr. B chasing Clem away from Speckle and nipping him :/ Guess that's where the streaks are coming from. Would another female help? I would rather not put in a tank divider but will if I have to....

5 fish in a 75 would be heavily stocked but it would be managable if you are up to the regular water changes. I think it would help ease the load on the one current female but then again maybe if she isn't as good looking as the other fish, it won't help at all? Remember, goldfish are carp, and carp are bottom feeders, which means the men can be kinda shallow ;)

Edited by DieselPlower

5 fish in a 75 would be heavily stocked but it would be managable if you are up to the regular water changes. I think it would help ease the load on the one current female but then again maybe if she isn't as good looking as the other fish, it won't help at all? Remember, goldfish are carp, and carp are bottom feeders, which means the men can be kinda shallow ;)

Ha! I'll just have to make sure the new female is about the same on the 'attractiveness scale' as Speckle is :P

I've been doing 80-90% water changes every week - if I do decide to add one more, the best option would probably be just to keep really on top of testing, right?

Oh dear....lol

Ha! I'll just have to make sure the new female is about the same on the 'attractiveness scale' as Speckle is :P?

?

I've been doing 80-90% water changes every week - if I do decide to add one more, the best option would probably be just to keep really on top of testing, right?

Yes, definitely keep on top of testing. I think you'll be fine if you stay good with maintenance.

That's interesting that your males chase your female around continuously. Mine ONLY do when the female is about to lay eggs, and stop immediately after she lays her last batch. I wonder which is more common?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I know you don't want to hear this, but it would be better to remove a male than to add a female. When she is spawning, three males chasing her can be damaging. The fact that they chase her all the time suggests some crowding stress. I'd prefer to have not more than one male to two females.

Not all females are equally attractive. My totally unscientific observations indicate that the males prefer big, fat girls.

I know you don't want to hear this, but it would be better to remove a male than to add a female. When she is spawning, three males chasing her can be damaging. The fact that they chase her all the time suggests some crowding stress. I'd prefer to have not more than one male to two females.

Not all females are equally attractive. My totally unscientific observations indicate that the males prefer big, fat girls.

Unfortunately my only other options are a tank divider - I live in a very small, 1BR apartment and I have only the one 75g tank written into my lease & had to work for that.... I could potentially keep them separate, but have nowhere to put the other guy.

Want to clarify as well: I have one male who doesn't chase at all. He just toots around on his own and the others don't pay him much mind. He's got some swim bladder issues so he doesn't swim as well as the others and his breeding stars aren't as pronounced as theirs.

I'm wondering if maybe she has impacted eggs, or is having a hard time laying them for some reason? Is there anything I can do to help her out?

My totally unscientific observations indicate that the males prefer big, fat girls.

Human, or goldfish, males? Or both? :rofl

I agree with Sharon that getting another female goldfish for these purposes makes less sense than removing 1-2 males at the time of spawning. Also, there is no guarantee that you will correctly sex the fish, which makes it even worse, if you are wrong. :rofl

I was thinking the opposite. Get the female out.

I'll stick around for a general consensus...the fish are all under 1yr old or approaching 1yr. Could this be pre-breeding behavior?

& Alex - I am worried about that!!! If I were to go with the additional female, I would probably talk with a goldfish breeder and specifically request a female. I don't want to make matters even WORSE!

Thats pretty good advice.

Noone likes having less fish!

Maybe you could trade the male in on a female and have the same amount of fish in an even ratio?

Thats pretty good advice.

Noone likes having less fish!

Maybe you could trade the male in on a female and have the same amount of fish in an even ratio?

I would feel bad saying goodbye to any of my males, as I've had them for 5 months at the shortest and 8 months at the longest :( They all hand feed and get excited when they see me...if that't the option I'll just try and maybe add more plants/make do as is

I would be okay trading to a koko's member or someone I knew would take care of the fish, but I couldn't bear to think of what might happen to my babies in a pet store

Yes, it could be practice breeding if they are all under a year old. The fact that they chase her constantly would make more sense. In my experience the males will only chase the female for a few hours and stop when she is done laying her eggs, but I don't know if that is true for all fish.

I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to part with your fish. I had a bully that needed to be separated from the rest, but fortunately his bad behavior stopped after a day of separation from the others in a colander ... have you tried temporary separation?

My boyfriend lives in a tiny 1bd apartment and has 3 tanks (50, 36 and 20 gal) in his bedroom. I was going to say you could try to squeeze in a 25 gal, but I personally wouldn't want to keep a goldfish in a tank by himself all the time since they are social fish. Maybe you could get a slightly bigger extra tank and get a fishy friend for him? A divider in the big tank would work, too - at least he'd be able to see the others. But I'd still feel bad if it needed to be permanent.

I would be okay trading to a koko's member or someone I knew would take care of the fish, but I couldn't bear to think of what might happen to my babies in a pet store

None of the stores in my area take fish from people anyway ... not sure if this is true where you live, but I'd be terrified the next owner would try to keep him in a bowl. :-(

My aunt had a HUGE pleco but moved and had to sell him. She did formal interviews with prospective buyers, and went to their houses to examine their tanks and equipment.

Yes, it could be practice breeding if they are all under a year old. The fact that they chase her constantly would make more sense. In my experience the males will only chase the female for a few hours and stop when she is done laying her eggs, but I don't know if that is true for all fish.

I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to part with your fish. I had a bully that needed to be separated from the rest, but fortunately his bad behavior stopped after a day of separation from the others in a colander ... have you tried temporary separation?

My boyfriend lives in a tiny 1bd apartment and has 3 tanks (50, 36 and 20 gal) in his bedroom. I was going to say you could try to squeeze in a 25 gal, but I personally wouldn't want to keep a goldfish in a tank by himself all the time since they are social fish. Maybe you could get a slightly bigger extra tank and get a fishy friend for him? A divider in the big tank would work, too - at least he'd be able to see the others. But I'd still feel bad if it needed to be permanent.

Thanks! I just did a major cleanout of the filters to see if any of this was stress related, for any reason. They seem to like being with each other otherwise, so separation is going to be a last-ditch thing. I haven't tried a colander but do have one on hand - maybe that will work!

Haha, I am sooo attached to my little fin babies. I had a fish blog going for a while and all my friends think I'm a 'crazy fish lady' lol. They all have such personalities, though!

I need to find a QT anyway, so I'll figure something out...have a 10g in the closet but the filter for it is broken. My mom broke my 29g after I moved out :/ It was an accident but still...a bummer. I have a list of things I need for the fish once I have the money (after I finish school finals and go to work full time for a month) Thanks for all your continued advice and I'll be sure to keep Kokos updated!

Related to your Aunt's pleco - I had a leopard gecko I had to rehome when I went to college. I'd had her for a few years and she was extremely healthy - didn't want some kid taking her and housing her on sand!!! Working at an exotic vet I was able to meet this great woman who had built her basement into a giant terrarium for her 4ft long iguana. Needless to say, Mango had a good new home lol

My totally unscientific observations indicate that the males prefer big, fat girls.

Human, or goldfish, males? Or both? :rofl

You tell me, Alex. :)