Sign in to follow this  
LouiseAnn

river rock safe?

I have been given some good size rocks for my tank. How do I know if they are safe? One has obvious silver color flecks. So I don't think ill put that in my tank. The others have tiny (smaller than fine sand) sparkle bits. Yiu can only see them when the light hits it just right. Will that be ok? Any advice is very welcome :)

20131211_103804_zpsc94675cc.jpg

Foot to show size lol

they look fine from the pic, but what you want to do is put some vinegar on them, if it bubbles the rocks are a no go (bubbles indicates they have the potential to effect your ph). There are some sparkly rocks that are not aquarium safe, like fools gold, but the looks of the ones you posted they look fine assuming they pass the vinegar test. (also boil them before adding to your tank)

Just saw your foot in the pic! those are huge!

What are your plans for them? Depending on how much rock you are thinking about adding to your tank, you may need to use some egg crate under the substrate (if you have it?) to provide a bit of cushion/support under the rocks.

One has maybe some mineral in it? 20131211_105415-1_zps225f53b4.jpg

And this is a close up of the other one. the sparkles are the tiny white dots 20131211_103837_zpse652bb75.jpg

Edited by LouiseAnn

Those look fine to me, assuming they pass the vinegar test. Sparkles does not mean they are not safe ;) but hopefully others will weigh in as well

Just saw your foot in the pic! those are huge!

What are your plans for them? Depending on how much rock you are thinking about adding to your tank, you may need to use some egg crate under the substrate (if you have it?) to provide a bit of cushion/support under the rocks.

Light color sand. The rocks in the middle spaced out so I can clean between them. And a few plants. Would you recommend putting something between the rock and tank bottom?

Good idea spacing them out. All the poop will collect under and around them. It will be a pain to clean. I think the key to making them look good will be to use them in moderation.

I have quite a few larger rocks in my tank. I have to remove them with each water change, and wipe down the glass. Poop really gets stuck under there...Yuck!

I have several big river rocks in my 90 gal tank that my son brought to me from a outting he & some friends went to along a river. (I was thrilled that he thought of getting them for me!!) I boiled the heck out of them before adding them. Have had them in my tank for a long time now. Mine sit directly on the bottom of the tank. Then I have small & medium stones scattered all around the bottom. I often "bridge" one of the driftwood pieces from one river rock to the other. I like when the goldies swim under the "bridge"! (I am easily amused!)

I find it much easier to keep clean than gravel........& I just do not like a naked bottom tank ( :teehee ). I find the more interesting & I think the fish do too!

Edited by Jeana727

Im hopefully going to achieve this look. For some reason I cant post the you tube linkScreenshot_2013-12-11-12-47-30-1_zpsae23

I love this look!! If I was a goldfish, I would enjoy this home.

I hope the rocks are safe. I might soak them for a week first yo see if the water alters at all.

I love this tank and have tried to copy it somewhat, but found the large rocks were a pain to clean around and took up way to much swimming room in my 55 for it to work ;) I hope you have better luck :)

Those rocks are huge. They are going to make your fish look small. haha

I can't wait to see them in your tank Lousie and see how you arrange them.

The photo's above look really nice. :)

I hope the rocks are safe. I might soak them for a week first yo see if the water alters at all.

If they don't bubble with vinegar, then they're fine. No need to soak. :

Is this your 'scape vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ82knAKXA

Very similar to the scape vid I was trying to post! Just less rocks. Ok so the vinegar test is to see if it will alter water. Cool :) thank you.

I love this tank and have tried to copy it somewhat, but found the large rocks were a pain to clean around and took up way to much swimming room in my 55 for it to work ;) I hope you have better luck :)

I hope so too! Oh well if not the rocks will look good in the garden lol

Those rocks are huge. They are going to make your fish look small. hahaI can't wait to see them in your tank Lousie and see how you arrange them.The photo's above look really nice. :)

Ill take some before and after pics ;) maybe even a video

Its not my tank, but its amazing and whoever you are I love it!

Wow those tanks are seriously fantastic. I was also considering putting large rocks in my tank (I have several from my garden) and am glad to have found this topic. Please let me know how your tank progresses :) Maybe we will end up with a similar style!

Well. I tried the vinegar method. One rock hissed so that one is staying in the garden. The other 3 have been soaked for 8 days (apparently soaking will help leach any bad stuff that the rocks may have been exposed to ) and have boiled them for 15mins to kill any nasties ;)

I have not put them in the tank yet. I have ended up with a sick fish and don't want to further stress her ;)

So I decided to put the rocks in my other tank... IT LOOKS AMAZING! Ill take some pics tomorrow fir ya'll.

Yay yay yay yay :)