Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Othello & the Incredibly Elusive ECR Thai Ranchus [PIC HEAVY - 26]

I have three black goldfish in my keeping. Othello is the black moor, and has been with me since I came back to this hobby. He is about 5 years old now, and while he has threatened to lose his black color several times, he has not. At this point it doesn't seem like he will be, although he would of course make a smashing orange or apache fish.

Things 1 and 2 are my East Coast Thai Ranchus, which Cynthia was really kind to part with me when they were wee ones. They have been with me since the middle of May 2013, so they are about 9 or so months old. These two fish are the grumpiest looking fish ever. They are still somewhat small, although both are growing nicely. Thing 2 (smaller one) seemed like he was starting to lose his melanophores a couple of weeks ago, but now he's all black again. So, I don't know what's up with that. :rofl

Without further ado, here are my black goldfish, because, in the words of some fame monger, "black is the new black." :rofl :rofl :rofl

Othello

KBN_1638_zps026cd8d3.jpg

KBN_1636_zps003aa02d.jpg

KBN_1601_zps5c758674.jpg

008_zpsb5f3a596.jpg

001_zps317be5f3.jpg

092_zps56519dcb.jpg

028_zps971c871c.jpg

Thing 1 (Bigger Chu)

KBN_1702_zps4c1f495f.jpg

087_zps5a0f6c3f.jpg

081_zps6599634d.jpg

079_zps33bc8eda.jpg

077_zpsaed6d3d8.jpg

076_zpsb12e0181.jpg

075_zps044092e9.jpg

072_zps089d1db9.jpg

Thing 2 (Smaller Chu)

KBN_1700_zps4acc5d2f.jpg

KBN_1687_zpsc4eb1050.jpg

KBN_1683_zpse4623df4.jpg

089_zps05e9ad23.jpg

069_zpsae6271a7.jpg

047_zps9de20a23.jpg

And some of Hyperion, to bring some light amidst all this darkness. :rofl

KBN_1679_zps751c9f22.jpg

KBN_1672_zps8d536493.jpg

KBN_1666_zps685f81b2.jpg

KBN_1661_zpsc10774ab.jpg

KBN_1643_zpsf252105a.jpg

Thank you for looking, and please forgive my indulgence in excessive numbers of pics. :rofl

Fan-friggin-tastic!!!!! Black is most certainly the new black. Holy cow your chunky chus are gorgeous and your moor is amazing!

Hyperion may be my favorite though... *swooning over here*

I knew it too... your picture skills with that camera are crazy good and have ALREADY gotten better. Can't wait until we get to see MOAR pics once you have officially mastered that camera! <---- scratch that! Looks to me like you've already mastered it :D

Edited by amoonklein

I guess you mastered your new camera :) Those pictures are amazing, Alex! Thanks for sharing them

aawwww :wub:

they're all super beautiful.. thank you for taking clear pictures, i was beginning to think my old eyes were packing it in! LOL

Amazing, Alex!!! If you ever find a black Thai to breed them with let me know. :lol2

Fan-friggin-tastic!!!!! Black is most certainly the new black. Holy cow your chunky chus are gorgeous and your moor is amazing!

Hyperion may be my favorite though... *swooning over here*

I knew it too... your picture skills with that camera are crazy good and have ALREADY gotten better. Can't wait until we get to see MOAR pics once you have officially mastered that camera! <---- scratch that! Looks to me like you've already mastered it :D

Awwww. Thank you for the very kind words. :D

I guess you mastered your new camera :) Those pictures are amazing, Alex! Thanks for sharing them

Thanks, Rob! I am not quite there, but from taking pics, I am starting to get a feel for the camera. It's fun. :)

aawwww :wub:

they're all super beautiful.. thank you for taking clear pictures, i was beginning to think my old eyes were packing it in! LOL

Are you sure? I might have fudge the pics to compensate for your eyesight. :o:yikes:rofl

Thank you, twinsie! :rofl

Amazing, Alex!!! If you ever find a black Thai to breed them with let me know. :lol2

Thanks, Mikey! I am hoping that they are a pair, but it's a little too hard to tell. I think Thing 1 is female, and Thing 2 is male, but they both could be females. :)

Okay! :) I just can't get over how amazing your pictures and fish look'

I agree with you. I think T1 is F and T2 is M.

Okay! :) I just can't get over how amazing your pictures and fish look'

:rofl Thank you!

I agree with you. I think T1 is F and T2 is M.

We shall see! If they ever spawn, I will certainly make every attempt to raise the fry and send you some fish. :)

Oh man you have gorgeous fish Alex!!!! ANd awesome photography skills as well ;)

Thank you, Haley! :)

Your black moor is so beautiful! And how lovely that you have had him since the beginning! Maybe if you didn't call the Chus grumpy they wouldn't frown so often :teehee

They're so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your pictures. :)

Just Stunning. As you know, I love black goldfish and Othello is simply fantastic. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are great as well and it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Amazing as always, Alex. Don't tell the others, but Hyperion is my favourite. :)

Othello! *swoons* What an amazing fish. :heart

Thing One and Thing Two look like they're getting wonderful wens. I really like the 'eye frame' look.

And of course who couldn't love Hyperion?!

I am so jealous right now I could pop. Amazing fish as always.

:clapping: wonderful! !

In your ryu post, I said that I had been thinking we were overdue on some pics. Then I decided we deserved some chus. :rofl once again, excellent timing!

Amazing pictures, and such stunning fish. :heart

All very beautiful goldfish :) I Love Hyperion :)

what is the trick to taking a great pic of a black fish? I can never get a good one of my Link :(

These are great photos! I like the creativity of the thai ranchu's names :rofl

Beautiful fish! :)

Awesome pics!

I must say, the shot of Thing 2 with your black and white ryu behind it is the best photo I have ever seen on this site!

If I had it, I would actually frame it.

Incredible! :wub:

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!

OMG!!! WoW!!! They are Fantastic!!!!!!

I looked over at my new little Black Moor & thought if he can turn out HALF as beautiful as yours I would be thrilled!!!

And Thing 1 & 2 ........amazing!!! Heck ALL of your fish are stunning!!!! (I am officially jealous!!!) :thumbs:

Your black moor is so beautiful! And how lovely that you have had him since the beginning! Maybe if you didn't call the Chus grumpy they wouldn't frown so often :teehee

Thank you, Linzi! :)

They're so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your pictures. :)

Thank you, Tamster! :P

Just Stunning. As you know, I love black goldfish and Othello is simply fantastic. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are great as well and it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Thank you, Susanne! :)

Amazing as always, Alex. Don't tell the others, but Hyperion is my favourite. :)

Thank you! :)

Mine, too, but don't tell. :rofl

Othello! *swoons* What an amazing fish. :heart

Thing One and Thing Two look like they're getting wonderful wens. I really like the 'eye frame' look.

And of course who couldn't love Hyperion?!

I am so jealous right now I could pop. Amazing fish as always.

Thank you, Chelsea! :)

The Things are amazing, in that I've had them since they were tiny little things. Actually, I am really with all my fish right now, and it has been so much fun to watch them grow from juvenile fish. The next step is to have actual fry, and for that I hope the Things will deliver.

:clapping: wonderful! !

In your ryu post, I said that I had been thinking we were overdue on some pics. Then I decided we deserved some chus. :rofl once again, excellent timing!

Amazing pictures, and such stunning fish. :heart

Thank you! :D

All very beautiful goldfish :) I Love Hyperion :)

what is the trick to taking a great pic of a black fish? I can never get a good one of my Link :(

Thank you, Shelly! :)

For taking pics of black fish, I have found that instead of going into manual mode to control both the shutter speed and the camera aperture, I went ahead a cheated a little and put my camera in shutter priority mode. When you do this, the camera will automatically select whatever aperture it thinks is best for the object you are focusing on, at that shutter speed. I've also had to adjust the exposure compensation a little bit. One thing that I did NOT do (because I was lazy) was to set up additional lights, which I have. :rofl

Try setting the camera into shutter priority. That's the S on your camera, and then try shutter speeds between 1/100 to 1/160. If your fish is slow moving that day, the 1/100 should work well. Normally, my shutter speed will be 1/125 or 1/160s. PM me if you need help. I don't know a whole lot, but what I think I know, I will share. :)

These are great photos! I like the creativity of the thai ranchu's names :rofl

Beautiful fish! :)

Thank you, Number 2. I have Theodore Geisel to thank for the names. :rofl

Awesome pics!

I must say, the shot of Thing 2 with your black and white ryu behind it is the best photo I have ever seen on this site!

If I had it, I would actually frame it.

Thanks, Mike! :)

That's one of my favorites pics so far as well. It's like Thing 2 was telling Boss Lisa something quite shocking indeed. :rofl

Incredible! :wub:

Thank you, Cat! :)

Great fish! Great photos! …..nuf said :-)