So I am adopting a Hermit Crab!

Holy crap! It's ginormous! :yikes If he (must be male cuz he's so big per Aubrey rationale) wanted to hurt you with that claw... I'm pretty sure he'd clip your finger off :thud

On a happy note, he's beautiful :wub: between the red arms and pretty shell, he's a work of art! :)

I'm so happy you like your new pet! Does he play in the two waters? Does he burry himself?

:Congrats: clawman is Totes McGotes! :P

And the eyes :rofl I love him :rofl

Edited by Flipper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was surprised by how huge he is! I have never seen any as big as him (I shall refer to s/he as him until I figure it out LOL) in stores...

The one claw is super large, and would probably suck to be pinched with haha. Luckily, he has never pinched me, and apparently they only do when scared/threatened, so I will try not to scare him haha

I was just amazed at how friendly he is! I am seriously beyond happy I rescued him, and he is even growing on my parents (they think he is cute haha)

I am going to get him a few really pretty shells for his next shell... I cant wait to show you guys!

He goes and chills in the water bowls sometimes, it is really funny! He hasn't buried himself yet (they do when molting and when needing a temp. change) but he does bury his food all over the place haha. He climbs around a lot and is such a little character!

When I go to the city I will get him 2 friends and a bigger tank.... I can't wait!!!

He kinda creeps me out but I can't help but go Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww as I look at him. :teehee

He is waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than I htought he would be. I'm glad you did hte pics of him in your hand.

Keep us updated on how he's doing! :nana

How exciting. :D

Haley he's awesome!!!!! You can tell gender! When you pick him up, look underneath his shell at his legs where the segments join the body. There will be a lite brown dot on each side if it's a girl on the 3rd segment back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

You don't have to flip him upside down. You'll get pinched for sure :P all I do is hold him above my hand by his shell so he has to reach for my hand and then look underneath him. I always move my hand further away to get him to come out further. Works like a charm :P although my herms are so friendly now that they don't hide when I pick them up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah! We need pic :nana Is the new guy as huuuuge? :) Are they the same kind of crab?

Ps. Did you get your tattoo? :Jig:

Sorry ladies!!!! I was so busy today I didn't even think to take pictures, and now they are hiding out.

Yeah! We need pic :nana Is the new guy as huuuuge? :) Are they the same kind of crab?

Ps. Did you get your tattoo? :Jig:

He is a larger crab, but definitely not as big as Clarence!!!

And yes I did!! I will try get a good picture right now (it is hard because its on my back lol)

Oh such a tease!! Where are those pics? :rofl

And did you determine the genders? :idont

Well I am pretty sure they are both boys, unless I am totally missing something LOL

This was all fun to read. :)

Congratulations on your hermit crab. He's HUGE. You said he was big but my oh my he is gigantic. I don't think I've ever seen one that big before. He's gorgeous also. I thought that was so cute how he's so into watching you and seeing what your doing. Very cute.

• 1 month later...

Awesome crab! I have been keeping hermit crabs for about 10 years or so now. I think that's how long I have had my oldest one anyway. She looks to be about the same size as yours. I have 4 in a 29 gallon tank and need to upgrade to something larger so I can have the substrate deeper. Right now I have it at about 9in and I don't feel like it's deep enough for my biggest. It should 6in or 3 times the height of your biggest, which ever is deeper. I don't know how deep you have yours but a 10 gallon, even for 1 crab the size you have, is too small. It's very difficult to have enough substrate as well as both water dishes, which should be deep enough for the largest crab to fully submerge, a food dish as well as hideys and things to climb on in a tank that small. I have seen many people who use those large plastic containers and they can work out great.

I don't know if it's allowed but I am a member of a site that is all about hermit crabs and the people over there are very nice and helpful. If it's ok the site is, http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php They can help you with ideas on decorating, second levels (I use plastic baskets suction cupped to the glass) and things like what to feed and what not to feed, like commercial hermit crab food. It's usually loaded with bad things and fresh foods are way healthier and if you give them scraps of what you eat way cheaper too.

Also, they need at least 3 extra shells each to switch into. The larger the shell the more they cost but there are websites that have them cheaper than others. Some people are also lucky enough to find nice ones in craft stores and dollar stores near them. But again the people over on that site and help with all of that. Oh and plants to decorate with don't get ones from the pet store unless that is your only choice. I think you said you live far from places so I don't know how many store options you have but the plants from the dollar store are WAY cheaper than the ones sold as places like Petsmart and Petco and usually look better too. The dollar store is your friend when you have crabs. Not only can you get shells (maybe) and plants but you can get the water and food dishes there as well as baskets for second levels.

Anyway I hope you have fun and enjoy your new hermit crabs :)

I forgot I wanted to say something about the substrate itself. I use a mix of both eco earth and sand. The exact amounts of each I have no idea. It has been years since I first added the bulk of it and over time not only does it settle but when I clean out the water and food dishes I end out throwing some out and I have to add more. Some times I may add both or I may add just sand or just eco earth. I mix rehydrate my eco earth with salt water, the same mix and I use for their water but after that I don't ever add any more salt water to the substrate. Since it doesn't evaporate the salt concentration will become too high and I have heard that it can be very dangerous to the crabs. So I mist and rehydrate (to sand castle consistency) with plain dechlorinated tap, again the same stuff I use for their plain water. You should never have throw out and replace all your substrate unless something seriously went wrong like a flooding and even then I have heard people just dry it out in the oven and reuse it. What ever you do don't use that sand that is sold for hermit crabs. It can be very dangerous since it can become hard and trap your crabs under. The cheapest thing to do is get some play sand from a home improvement store. Just get a bag that is dry. Some people rinse it or bake it or both before they use it. I get my sand from the beach so all I do it check it for things like glass and stuff.

Oh and if it wasn't mentioned the heat should be around 80 and the humidity should be around 80. They sell gauges for both at petstores but you can get them cheaper from a place like Walmart.

Anyway again, have fun :)

Edited by silver8328

Hey thanks for all the info!! I have mine in a 10 gallon right now and it seems to be enough room for them. I can actually post pictures to show ya :) I will upgrade eventually, but since I came into this hobby by accident, I wasn't as prepared as I should be.

I have my substrate at about 6-7 inches right now, and both of my crabs have gone under and I am assuming are molting because they haven't come up in a few weeks. Both had been living in a not good home, so I am assuming they really needed to molt but could not because of insufficient substrate. I do everything else exactly as you have stated so I think I am doing alright :)

The only thing I was gonna ask was where do you get your shells online?? A couple of the places I tried will not ship to canada, and I live in a tiny little town with no craft stores :(

They may be molting or they may just be de-stressing. Going from one environment to another type, even if the care is way better, can be stressful and the best way for them to de-stress is to dig under. Even if you never see them come up make sure the temp and humidity is always correct and that they have fresh clean water and food just in case they are coming up and digging back down in the middle of the night.

As far as shells go I'm from the US and from what I heard we have it a little easier than you guys up north. I did a quick search and from what I understand both http://www.deltonaseashells.com/ and http://www.naplesseashellcompany.com/ ship up there but the shipping seems to be high. Neither of them specialize in shells for hermit crabs so you need to know what you need and make sure you are getting what you think you're getting. Always look at the opening size not the over all size when buying. I have never ordered from either place but I have heard both good and bad reviews for both places. Since they don't specialize in shells for hermit crabs they aren't always exact in the measurements so if you need a specific size they can both be iffy and you may get a shell a little smaller or bigger. But if you just need a range of sizes from what I heard they are both OK.

Do you know what type of shells your crabs like? I have the more common type which normally go by the name Purple Pincher, which your one looks like. They like more round openings and turbos are the best shell type. But of course there is always the possibility that they may like a type that isn't the norm. Here is a good link that shows the different types of shells and which are more liked versus least popular. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Yes both of mine are Purple pinchers, and I actually just got an email back from Deltona shells today! I asked him if he would be able to find me some shells (I asked for turbo shells since the opening is nice and round) with the exact opening measurement I need for each of my crabs and he said he would do that for me so I am really happy :) I hope that all works out since my first crab is quite large for his shell (pretty sure the previous owners did not even offer him other shells)

Good to hear. I was thinking about ordering from one of those places the next time I need shells.The last time I bought some one was $8 and the other was $12 and for the same sizes they are about half that from those places.

• 3 weeks later...