So I am adopting a Hermit Crab!

So there is a lady in town giving away her son's hermit crab, but he doesn't want to give the tank away. I have a spare tank, so I decided to take him! I pick him up on monday!!

I was just wondering if anyone on kokos has any hermies?? I already know a lot about their basic care etc., but I just thought input would be great :) Also, I will post pictures when I get him :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had Hermies. :) They LOVE to bury themselves in sand. Make sure it is at sandcastle consistency. They also like to take saltwater baths, so make sure it is available to them. :). Mist them daily and always make sure the sand is wet enough. Also, get a Blue daylight reptile bulb on them. Make sure to watch the temp. I forget what temp they need, but I'm sure you can look that up or someone here can tell you. :) Also, get more. they are VERY SOCIAL. :)

I used to have hermit crabs but since then have learnt a lot more than what I did know and really want them again. If the crab pinches you and doesn't let go don't put it under the tap let it get off itself as the chlorine in the tap will be I think irritable

Yeah I am really excited!!! I will need to see what the lady gives me with him and then order a bunch more stuff online (I am so bad at saving money hahaha)

Mikey, she has been using coconut fiber substrate, but I was wondering if I should do half the tank sand and half the coconut stuff..

If I remember right, a mix of mostly sand and some coconut fiber is the best for them. Also, DEEP substrate of several inches.

Coconut fiber alone is not a proper substrate.

I recently read up a lot about hermits since I almost bought one at the beach in the summer. Let me see if I can find the very helpful page again, it had a ton of information!

EDIT: Ok that was TOO easy ROFL http://www.hermit-crabs.com/care.html

I'm sure you found this yourself already lmao

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Most people don't :(. It is very unfortunate. They see them at the boardwalk and buy those little cages. It's terrible. I want hermit crabs again. :peeka

Most people don't :(. It is very unfortunate. They see them at the boardwalk and buy those little cages. It's terrible. I want hermit crabs again. :peeka

they are sure fun to have, but some times I tell you those litte things are escape artists! And they can be very messy at times, well mine can at keast. In the winter they like to stay by the firplace, and my largest one kong likes to escape the temporary sterillite bin, and ventures over to the wood basket and rip up all of the newspaper we use for fire starter....XD

Hey Haley!!! This is so exciting!!! I've had hermit crabs for a lonnnnnggggg time now.

This is what I also suggest for basic care;

Tank

Glass hood

Depending on the size of your tank, I have a 40 breeder with 9 inches of substrate composed of a mixture of Eco earth and sand. I like the mixture a lot. It's like a 2:1, Eco to sand ratio. Then. I moisten with salt water to prevent molding.

I have 3 heat sources: a heat lamp INSIDE the tank that I keep during the winter, and 2 heat pads on the side of the tank, partially next to the substrate but mostly above it. I keep the heat pads going 24/7.

I have two large dishes for fresh and salt water. Because moose is so big I have to get everything huge to comply to his needs. And I put some pebbles in both to help the smaller crabs crawl in and out. I use instant ocean mix and just keep a gallon jug filled with it. It lasts forever.

My food dish Is actually a large butter dish bottom. Again, large crab eats lots of food. For food, I do so many different things. Favorites are apples, grapes, sweet potato (both mashed and baby food), organic hot dogs (moosies absolute favorite. He'll grab slices and run with them.) chicken ham beef turkey baby food and also if I'm making any of the above for dinner I give them some before seasoning it, allll kinda of baby food that the ingredients are just the food and water. They looooove it. They like coconut, carrots, sometimes I give them homemade bread because they love it but that's more of a treat. Peanut butter, banana and honey is also another one I used to keep in my fridge pre mixed for a treat. I don't do any commercialized herm food. If you want something quick and easy, get repashy crested gecko diet. It's the best. Just make sure they're getting enough protein because if not they'll eat molters. You can do so many different things for food. Just google search it before doing it.

For decorations I have a hiding cave, a couple of logs, cholla wood, cork wood etc. I put stuff in there they can eat as well as climb on and hide in. Then I do fake plants and fake flowers for more decoration. You can take things from your back yard as long as they're like oak, maple etc. nothing evergreen, it's toxic to them. And just boil it and make sure there's nothing on it for mold or anything.

Shells: I have to special order shells for Moosie but everyone else gets craft store / Christmas tree shop shells. I boil them and throw them in. You can find nice turbo shells in those mags of misc shells.

I mist mine a couple of times a day. And I try to change their food every other day.

I'm not sure if I forgot anything but if you have any questions I'm almost 10000% sure I know the answer. Like Alex knows goldfish, I know hermit crabs :P

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh and one other thing. Running a crab under cold water if it pinches you is a terrrrrible idea. It stresses the crab out even further and it can go either way; hell either latch on harder or drop. I always suggest getting the crab to a flat surface and just holding it there until they crawl away. They only pinch if they feel threatened as they think theyre going to fall or they don't feel stable. I've only been pinched once and it was from moose. He broke my skin on my pointer finger. It was my own fault though because he was hanging from the roof of my terrarium and I tried to pry him off so he wouldn't hurt himself and he didn't like that so he grabbed me.

And whoever said they're escape artists: so true. I've had many escapees. Once I didn't even notice and I was sitting on the couch watching a movie and out from under the tv stand came my little ecuadorian hermit crab, dragging dust bunnies behind him.

At the moment I will just have this one in a five gallon tank, because it was all I had on hand (since I am rescuing him and I live in a tiny town with nothing haha), but I know they like to have friends so I will most likely be getting friends for him and a larger tank next time I am in the city. I think I have the basics of care down, since they seem pretty straightforward to me, but when he molts I will probably freak out hahaha

I am happy I have someone who can answer all my questions now!!!! For the salt water, what percent would it be at?

Molting still freaks me out and I've owned for a long time. Especially moose because he goes down for almost three months at a time. And the percent I have no idea. I do salinity, and the salinity should be like 1.020 ish. That would be a half cup of instant ocean in a full gallon of water. So that's like, 16 tablespoons of salt per 1 gallon... So like 6.25% ? I'm honestly awful at conversations. I'd just go with a half cup per gallon. :P

Molting still freaks me out and I've owned for a long time. Especially moose because he goes down for almost three months at a time. And the percent I have no idea. I do salinity, and the salinity should be like 1.020 ish. That would be a half cup of instant ocean in a full gallon of water. So that's like, 16 tablespoons of salt per 1 gallon... So like 6.25% ? I'm honestly awful at conversations. I'd just go with a half cup per gallon. :P

Okay I just thought of another question! Do you offer a bowl of fresh and a bowl of salt water? I was reading that some people say to do that

Okay I just thought of another question! Do you offer a bowl of fresh and a bowl of salt water? I was reading that some people say to do that

Yes I do!! The saltwater is important because they can't manager their own ion concentration in their body. So they need both to balance it out.

Alright I picked him up today!!! He is so HUGE but adorable!!!! (My dad thinks he is ugly hahaha) I gave him his 2 different water bowls, and he has been hanging out in the salt water bowl for like an hour now... I don't think his previous owners ever gave him salt water!!! Poor guy!

I will take pictures in a bit

Okay so I am finally done exams!!!! YAY!!! So here are some pictures of my crabby crab.... s/he has no name until I figure out if it is a boy or girl LOL

DSC_0665_zps23dcab6e.jpg

DSC_0672_zps0f0cd00d.jpg

DSC_0670_zps14b8dded.jpg

DSC_0663_zpsed71d739.jpg

DSC_0669_zpsb2aab225.jpg

DSC_0673_zpsc88919f0.jpg

DSC_0674_zps64ed9b8b.jpg

This little one is so friendly!!!! It seems to love to interact with me, as he will crawl all over me and isn't scared when I pick him up (I just talk softly to him and he comes out of his shell). He also likes to watch what I am doing in my room and will climb up onto his house and watch me haha! I am in love :D

Oh wow he is huge!!!

It's amazing what companions some of these animals make when they're taken care of well. :)

(You're making me want one by the way! :rofl)