Methylene blue

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

Just got my second batch of eggs:) I added Methylene blue last night at 11pm. How long do you leave it in with the eggs? When you remove it, do you have to make sure it is 100% gone (transfer eggs to another container)? I can't seem to find this information.

Hi Goldiegeek and congratulations:

1.Methylene blue is a disinfectent and can be used as a profhylaxis against fungus attack on eggs. normally not necessary unless there are thousands in a nest and water temperature is in low range for hatching allowing fungus to form and transfer from bad egg to the live good ones before hatching.

2.If temperatures are higher then eggs hatch faster and there is little danger from fungus. Also if the eggs are not clumped together is better.

3.water change is best way to remove residues and chemicals fouling water.

4. If you need to find this information I can provide reference in PM

I used to use MB but stopped after learning better ways to keep eggs in freshest water and best conditions which always produced best results.

Hi Goldiegeek and congratulations:

1.Methylene blue is a disinfectent and can be used as a profhylaxis against fungus attack on eggs. normally not necessary unless there are thousands in a nest and water temperature is in low range for hatching allowing fungus to form and transfer from bad egg to the live good ones before hatching.

2.If temperatures are higher then eggs hatch faster and there is little danger from fungus. Also if the eggs are not clumped together is better.

3.water change is best way to remove residues and chemicals fouling water.

4. If you need to find this information I can provide reference in PM

I used to use MB but stopped after learning better ways to keep eggs in freshest water and best conditions which always produced best results.

Do you know when I should remove it? I used it this time because I lost 90% of my last batch to fungus and have only one little guy from the whole lot.

When the eggs are not fertile the fungus can form , rapid too. The MB is an attempt to prevent the fungus from spreading to the fertile eggs before they hatch.

loss of 90% ,ok , happens.

I do not use MB. but when I did only used it for first few hours to inhibit fungus growth and then changed some water. remove before hatch. Easy to do if hatching in nests in bowls. .

When the eggs are not fertile the fungus can form , rapid too. The MB is an attempt to prevent the fungus from spreading to the fertile eggs before they hatch.

loss of 90% ,ok , happens.

I do not use MB. but when I did only used it for first few hours to inhibit fungus growth and then changed some water. remove before hatch. Easy to do if hatching in nests in bowls. .

Awesome:) Thanks so much. I'll get some fresh water in there now. So far, no fungus. Fingers crossed.

good luck on your new batch! I hope the methylene blue helps :)

I'm a little bummed. When I checked the eggs this morning, all but one were covered in fungus:( I found them in the tank after they had been there a few days, so I was a little late. I will be watching my tanks like a hawk. We're supposed to get some more warm weather next week with rain, fingers crossed.

If the one egg hatches, that'll be two batches with one hatchling lol. These would have been cool. Veiltail Ryukin and Veiltail Oranda...boo!