Just got a free 75 gallon tank! What should i do with it?

A coworker of mine was cleaning out her barn. She knows I loves fish and insisted I take this, cor no money, or she was tossing it. How could I refuse?! So those of you who are on here often know I already have a 75 gallon. I have committed to buying a 125 from a member here to replace it. Now I have 2 extra 75's LOL. I was thinking about building a stand to stack them on top of eachother in the basement or something. What would you do?

You mean BESIDES give it to me? :D

Congrats though! Even though you don't need it! I've always wished there was some cool (and safe!) way to connect a bunch of tanks together like condos. :P

YEs me too! it would be awesome to have 150 gallons flowing through the 2 but still have separate areas for different types of fish or a planted tank and a non planted, etc etc

I'm not sure what goldfish you already have, but I think it would be cool to have a ranchu only tank.

I personally don't have any, I only have two fantails, but there's something about those ranchus that I like.

A coworker of mine was cleaning out her barn. She knows I loves fish and insisted I take this, cor no money, or she was tossing it. How could I refuse?! So those of you who are on here often know I already have a 75 gallon. I have committed to buying a 125 from a member here to replace it. Now I have 2 extra 75's LOL. I was thinking about building a stand to stack them on top of eachother in the basement or something. What would you do?

Turn one of the 75s into a refugium/sump for the 125! :lol2

Cool idea! I'd love to see the set up and running of this :)

^^ :bingo: that would give you am awesome filtration and a lot more water!

You can do a lot more than just using it for filtration, which is the idea! :rofl

With something that big, you can:

- keep other types of fish in there

- keep plants

- keep fry

:rofl

These all sound like great ideas! Hope you find a good use for it! Maybe that'll happen to me one day; I would love to be given a 75 gallon by someone doing a little spring cleaning! I have my fingers crossed! :please

Edited by Justin

I actually have no idea how a sump works or what it is. Time to use Google I guess! My only concern about stacking the tanks is the weight. 200 gallon of water stacked vertically is a lot of weight over a 6' x 1.5' space! 1,668 pounds of water alone! Plus the weight of both tanks, and the stand. Around 2000 pounds I bet.

Edited by DieselPlower

Sell your 2 x 75Gs.

Ask yourself if you can handle the additional maintenance workfor these two tanks. Would you rather be knitting, learning to ride a unicycle or practicing your yoga?

More is not necessarily better.

You can do a lot more than just using it for filtration, which is the idea! :rofl

With something that big, you can:

- keep other types of fish in there

- keep plants

- keep fry

:rofl

I did not realize this! How extremely fantastic! I love it!

Sell your 2 x 75Gs.

Ask yourself if you can handle the additional maintenance workfor these two tanks. Would you rather be knitting, learning to ride a unicycle or practicing your yoga?

That is a good point but I have to clarify that DieselPlower would never be caught knitting, or practicing yoga. I might try out a unicycle. I dont really wanna make more work for myself.

Sell your 2 x 75Gs.

?

?

That is a good point but I have to clarify that DieselPlower would never be caught knitting, or practicing yoga. I might try out a unicycle. I dont really wanna make more work for myself.?

This made me LOL

Do you have a basement, live on a crawlspace or slab? I live on a slab and the 180 does just fine. It weighs about a ton filled.