Sign in to follow this  
GoldPigs

Pellet-Free Diet

Due to being unable to find any quality pellets in my area, I was thinking about feeding the goldies a pellet free diet, what is everyone's thoughts on that and how should I go about it? I was thinking of feeding them 3 times a day, 7:30 AM, 4:30 PM and 8:30 PM. In the morning gel food, afternoon vegies and in the evening either gel food or other kind of protein. What other kinds of "other protein" are edible and enjoyable for the goldies or should I just give them gel in the evening? Any help would be appreciated.

to ensure that you are giving all the essentials to your fish, i do recommend Repashy Solient Green from TastyWorms, our forum sponsor. here's a link http://tastyworms.com/repashy-soilent-green-aufwuchs-gel-fish-food.html

you can make your own gelfood with your own fresh veggies and add sardines, garlic, probiotic etc. but the Repashy range already has all this goodness in it, just add water, microwave or boil on stove top & pour into your food mould to set.

i haven't fed my fish pellets as a staple diet for many years. only on the odd occasion if i've forgotten to defrost their gelfood i give them Thera +A but i find that if you feed that too often, they get the runs. perhaps a little too much garlic in that one.

hun, where abouts in AU are you? do you want to send you a sample of the repashy in the mail? no charge. you're over 100 posts now, so you can use the messaging system. send me a private message with your postal details (provided you have your parents consent to do so) and i will send you some Repashy Solient Green for you to try making.

Thanks for replying, I will need to check with my parents about your offer

hun, where abouts in AU are you? do you want to send you a sample of the repashy in the mail? no charge. you're over 100 posts now, so you can use the messaging system. send me a ?private message with your postal details (provided you have your parents consent to do so) and i will send you some Repashy Solient Green for you to try making.

That's really nice of you Helen:).

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

I'm switching to a mostly pellet free diet as well. My little floater is not doing well on pellets so I will be feeding Repashy (stinky to make but they love it!), Alex's homemade gel food recipe, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and various veggies. I will still be feeding some pellet food but most likely it will be a once in a blue moon thing for Cupid's sake. :)

As long as the gel food you make/ use is well rounded you goldie should do well!

Due to being unable to find any quality pellets in my area, I was thinking about feeding the goldies a pellet free diet, what is everyone's thoughts on that and how should I go about it? I was thinking of feeding them 3 times a day, 7:30 AM, 4:30 PM and 8:30 PM. In the morning gel food, afternoon vegies and in the evening either gel food or other kind of protein. What other kinds of "other protein" are edible and enjoyable for the goldies or should I just give them gel in the evening? Any help would be appreciated.

I read through this thread last night: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105442-goldfish-life-expectancy-other-interesting-observations/?hl=%2Bgoldfish+%2Blife+%2Bexpectancy

After reading this, it made me think about the protein needs of goldfish. According to Alex's summary, in the wild, the goldfish diet is mostly plant based. Have we, as humans that require a certain amount of protein (in some diets too much in my opinion), projected onto goldfish a similar requirement? I assume that algae/plankton have proteins that the goldfish digestive system is able to breakdown and utilize. Kind of like how gorillas and cows can with their mostly, if not entirely, plant based diet. Can the goldfish digestive system breakdown and utilize the proteins in land based plants? I don't know the answers to these questions. I'm just thinking out loud. In any case, my opinion on your third meal would be to provide veggies, preferably some aquatic plant based food. Probably your morning feeding has enough animal based proteins that would ease my human mind.

Another thing: I've learned in the last couple of days, that I have fed my goldfish too much. It has caused them constipation (and maybe other health issues). Be careful on how much you feed your babies.

Edited by LisaCGold

I read through this thread last night: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105442-goldfish-life-expectancy-other-interesting-observations/?hl=%2Bgoldfish+%2Blife+%2Bexpectancy

After reading this, it made me think about the protein needs of goldfish. According to Alex's summary, in the wild, the goldfish diet is mostly plant based. Have we, as humans that require a certain amount of protein (in some diets too much in my opinion), projected onto goldfish a similar requirement? I assume that algae/plankton have proteins that the goldfish digestive system is able to breakdown and utilize. Kind of like how gorillas and cows can with their mostly, if not entirely, plant based diet. Can the goldfish digestive system breakdown and utilize the proteins in land based plants? I don't know the answers to these questions. I'm just thinking out loud. In any case, my opinion on your third meal would be to provide veggies, preferably some aquatic plant based food. Probably your morning feeding has enough animal based proteins that would ease my human mind.

Another thing: I've learned in the last couple of days, that I have fed my goldfish too much. It has caused them constipation (and maybe other health issues). Be careful on how much you feed your babies.

I'd like to add here that Steve Hopkins from RainGarden has a couple of articles on the benefits of bloodworms. You can find them here. My personal favorite is "Bloodworms and Lego Blocks"

That article you suggested was very informative, Chelsea. :)

I'd like to add here that Steve Hopkins from RainGarden has a couple of articles on the benefits of bloodworms. You can find them here. My personal favorite is "Bloodworms and Lego Blocks"

Thanks, Chelsea! Great article on goldfish and protein.

hun, where abouts in AU are you? do you want to send you a sample of the repashy in the mail? no charge. you're over 100 posts now, so you can use the messaging system. send me a private message with your postal details (provided you have your parents consent to do so) and i will send you some Repashy Solient Green for you to try making.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not allowed to share my address. Thanks anyway :)

Thanks for the offer but I'm not allowed to share my address. Thanks anyway :)

that's ok, hun :)

Hi does anyone know where I can get Repashy Solient Green from in Australia as I contacted tastyworms a few months ago and Chris said they cant send any to me due to it containing animal products

Thanks

Hi does anyone know where I can get Repashy Solient Green from in Australia as I contacted tastyworms a few months ago and Chris said they cant send any to me due to it containing animal products

Thanks

not true, he sends Repashy products, PraziPro to me frequently. just open a tastyworms account and make your purchase. it will arrive within 10 business days.