Python vs. Aqueon Water Changer

I found that once I went to bare bottom it was 974,689,870,001 times easier to get all the poop off the bottom. Even with weekly vacuums, I was disgusted by the amount of garbage that was trapped in the rocks when I removed them. That garbage might be good for a person who has plants planted in the substrate, but I currently don't.

:rofl3 That's a LOT of times easier! :rofl

I've only every used a Python. I've had it for 5+ years and I :heart it. :teehee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa & I are LONG time members of the PYTHON LOVERS CLUB!! :thumbup2:

Chelsea...what type & length is your siphon hose. My Python is the fifty footer so once the suction is started it pulls MORE than enough power to injure or kill even a big goldfish. I know this as it happened to me early on when I 1st got mine. And that is whether or not you hook it to the sink to remove water! I learned NOT to get distracted while using it. Now that I have the Claw attached they cannot get pulled in...but sometimes I remove it if I find a spot I really need to "get right up into" so you just have to be mindful of the danger a nosey goldfish can quickly get into!!

Edited by Jeana727

Lisa & I are LONG time members of the PYTHON LOVERS CLUB!! :thumbup2:

Chelsea...what type & length is your siphon hose. My Python is the fifty footer so once the suction is started it pulls MORE than enough power to injure or kill even a big goldfish. I know this as it happened to me early on when I 1st got mine. And that is whether or not you hook it to the sink to remove water! I learned NOT to get distracted while using it. Now that I have the Claw attached they cannot get pulled in...but sometimes I remove it if I find a spot I really need to "get right up into" so you just have to be mindful of the danger a nosey goldfish can quickly get into!!

It is the python 25 foot one. Yeah, it can seriously injure or kill a fish in a flash. Since my faucet power is really strong (showers are like being under a waterfall), I have to be extra careful with mine and generally don't hook it to the faucet to drain.

Edited by ChelseaM

I have never noticed this massive suction problem with my Aqueon. I have the 25 foot hose. Technically, the longer the hose, the less suction there would be, as the longer hose causes more resistance to the water flow. My Aqueon can empty my 75 gallon to at least 80% empty in about 15 minutes. That is plenty fast for me. Gives me a chance to give my filters a quick rise if need be, and to connect the sink attachment so I can refill the tank. I just hang my Aqueon into the bottom of the tank so I don't have to worry about a fish getting sucked up.

Just wanna say - my Python arrived and I love it. I need to practice matching temp a little, but aside from that, it's made water changes much much easier. I must admit I was a bit leary of adding water straight from the tap into the tank (even with adding Prime beforehand), but the fish seem to not be bothered by it so I guess it's fine.

• Admin

Just wanna say - my Python arrived and I love it. I need to practice matching temp a little, but aside from that, it's made water changes much much easier. I must admit I was a bit leary of adding water straight from the tap into the tank (even with adding Prime beforehand), but the fish seem to not be bothered by it so I guess it's fine.

:happydance :happydance

Take a warning.....don't assume your fish won't get harmed by a siphon hose. They are naturally curious & see the water moving thru the barrel & are attracted to it. In a second the suction can pull a fish into the barrel & harm or kill it. I love my Python & can't imagine not having one, but early on I had a wonderful goldie get killed it, I never want that to happen to my fish OR anyone else's!!

:happydance :happydance

I was worried about the same thing when i started doing this with my gravel vac! Just make sure you add the amount of water conditioner for the WHOLE tank, not for the amount you are changing out ... I recently learned that I had been doing that wrong for years. :-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Take a warning.....don't assume your fish won't get harmed by a siphon hose.? They are naturally curious & see the water moving thru the barrel &? are attracted to it.? In a second the suction can pull a fish into the barrel & harm or kill it.? I love my Python & can't imagine not having one, but early on I had a wonderful goldie get killed it, I never want that to happen to my fish OR anyone else's!!?

Don't worry, I put some spare filter floss over the Python's intake. :)

I would use something else. Filter floss won't let the debris through that you want to remove. Mesh with large holes (like on produce bags) would be a much better choice. Make sure to stretch it tight.

-from my phone.

I would use something else. Filter floss won't let the debris through that you want to remove. Mesh with large holes (like on produce bags) would be a much better choice. Make sure to stretch it tight.

-from my phone.

The way I did it was I vacuumed the sand first w/ out the floss (which took about 20-30% of my water out), then put the filter floss on and let it drain the rest of the way. I'll try to find a mesh bag though, but I don't have one laying around.

-from my phone.

The way I did it was I vacuumed the sand first w/ out the floss (which took about 20-30% of my water out), then put the filter floss on and let it drain the rest of the way. I'll try to find a mesh bag though, but I don't have one laying around.

I prefer to leave it on the whole time for the safety of my fish. I know from experience that just because the vacuum is in my hand it doesn't mean a curious fish won't just swim into it. I've luckily avoided disaster twice with two different fish when the vacuum was right in my hands and I was watching what I was doing.

?

-from my phone.

?

I prefer to leave it on the whole time for the safety of my fish. I know from experience that just because the vacuum is in my hand it doesn't mean a curious fish won't just swim into it. I've luckily avoided disaster twice with two different fish when the vacuum was right in my hands and I was watching what I was doing.

Good to know. I'll try to find a mesh or something to use as a covering.

Lots of good mesh bags in produce department!! Oranges, onions, avacados, & etc come in great mesh bags!!!!

(I haven't used one since I got the CLAW attachment....it works really great! (Man, they should PAY ME!!)

Glad you're happy with your python!

But for anyone else reading this thread to get an idea of water changing options, there are also really cheap and easy DIY options that are almost as good as Pythons/ Aqueons and 126,413,216,549,432,164,891 times better than buckets. I can't use a python because of my taps (very old house), so I just went to the hardware shop and explained what I was trying to do and they helped me put together a simple system of hoses that does the job quickly and easily without carrying buckets, for less than $20!!!!

?

But for anyone else reading this thread to get an idea of water changing options, there are also?really cheap and easy DIY options that are almost as good as Pythons/ Aqueons and 126,413,216,549,432,164,891 times better than buckets. I can't use a python because of?my taps (very old house),?so I just went to the hardware shop and explained what I was trying?to do?and they helped me put?together a simple system of hoses that does the job quickly and easily without carrying buckets, for less than $20!!!!?

Too late for DYI, haha. I'm too impatient and lazy to build things myself anyway.

?

But for anyone else reading this thread to get an idea of water changing options, there are also?really cheap and easy DIY options that are almost as good as Pythons/ Aqueons and 126,413,216,549,432,164,891 times better than buckets. I can't use a python because of?my taps (very old house),?so I just went to the hardware shop and explained what I was trying?to do?and they helped me put?together a simple system of hoses that does the job quickly and easily without carrying buckets, for less than $20!!!!?

Wow, that is a good idea! The main reason I still use a gravel vac and buckets is that I'm having a difficult time justifying the high cost of a water changer. From what I understand, the water changer saves effort spent lugging buckets back and forth, but it takes the same amount of time as a gravel vac (or more) to drain the tank. Plus my tank is far away from my sink, so I'd have to buy additional tubing.

Now, I might do this, or someone here recommended a site (I think it was Amazon) where they were selling the Python for about $30. I've only seen the Aqueon in stores and the cost was like $75!

But for anyone else reading this thread to get an idea of water changing options, there are also really cheap and easy DIY options that are almost as good as Pythons/ Aqueons and 126,413,216,549,432,164,891 times better than buckets. I can't use a python because of my taps (very old house), so I just went to the hardware shop and explained what I was trying to do and they helped me put together a simple system of hoses that does the job quickly and easily without carrying buckets, for less than $20!!!!

Wow, that is a good idea! The main reason I still use a gravel vac and buckets is that I'm having a difficult time justifying the high cost of a water changer. From what I understand, the water changer saves effort spent lugging buckets back and forth, but it takes the same amount of time as a gravel vac (or more) to drain the tank. Plus my tank is far away from my sink, so I'd have to buy additional tubing.

Now, I might do this, or someone here recommended a site (I think it was Amazon) where they were selling the Python for about $30. I've only seen the Aqueon in stores and the cost was like $75!

In the meantime you can get very long hoses from the hardware shop much cheaper than tubing from the lfs! A siphon (gravel vac) and hosing wins over buckets every time :D

I have lee's ultimate gravel vac. It came with a "fish claw". It fits securely on the part that goes in the tank and basically keeps the fish, plants and small rocks from being sucked up.

~The goldfish mermaid~

My tanks are on the opposite end of the house from the nearest sink so water changes by bucket or using gravity to empty the tank simply doesnt work. I was originally going to buy a python but a few months prior my LFS actually stopped carrying the python in favor of the Aqueon. What I really enjoy about Aqueon is their customer service. They are really great and take defects and breakages seriously from what I've seen. I haven't had any problems with my 50ft model and I've had it for over two years now. I used to cart it back and forth between home and school too and it has taken a beating and still does not have any parts that leak. :)

?

?

?

In the meantime you can get very long hoses from the hardware shop much cheaper than tubing from the lfs! A siphon (gravel vac)?and hosing wins over buckets every time :D

How do you affix the hose to the gravel vac to prevent leaks? This sounds like a great solution for me but I'm not great with fixing or setting up things. :-)

In the meantime you can get very long hoses from the hardware shop much cheaper than tubing from the lfs! A siphon (gravel vac) and hosing wins over buckets every time :D

How do you affix the hose to the gravel vac to prevent leaks? This sounds like a great solution for me but I'm not great with fixing or setting up things. :-)

You can buy little plastic things that look like this (only not T-shaped, couldn't find an image of a straight one). I think they are about $1!http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v2/346500324/Hose_Tee_Connector_Pipe_Joint.jpg

You just need to make sure you get the right size hose for the joining parts etc. The only issue I have had with leaks is with the original hose that came with the syphon, and I fixed that with plumbing tape (also from the hardware shop).

Essentially I took my siphon to Bunnings, explained what I wanted to do with it, and they helped me along. Usually people who work at hardware shops are fix-it / DIY kinds of people, so they are very useful resources! :)

• 2 weeks later...

What is this The Claw that everyone is talking about? I'm trying to search for it and can't find it.

I accidentally sucked my pretty big oranda into my python tonight while I had my arm in the tank cleaning diatoms off of a plant. She is a very tight fit but managed to be sucked right up inside the gravel tube. I quickly pulled the hose out of the water to release the suction and slightly struggled to get her out. She seems to be doing fine other than a small scrap on her dorsal fin. I really want to prevent this from ever happening again and am curious what the claw is.

Other than this mishap, I LOVE the python, I can't compare it to Aqueon as I don't have that one, but the python is great quality.