Blah omg oldest mistake in the book I'm so lame

kaylaj2355

I was shocked at the suction, Diesel! He's not a super strong swimmer granted but I couldn't believe the suction. I think I have less media in there than I should or...something. Something must be off if you're saying that because this was like a Hoover and I can't even tell my Fluval canister is on from the intake because it is so gentle. The output of the AC is fierce, too...if I don't baffle it with thick filter padding, the waterfall current would reach almost to the floor of my 75 gallon. On low. Do you guys think this is really odd?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and Tele is by far my thinnest fish so I think he was also taken in because he is so long and slender, he just wrapped around it. But man, something sounds off now about my filter.

Edit: Oh, and the main reason I came to post xD he ate. Not from my hand of course, because who wants their mom when they're sick when they can have Grandma? Yup, Grammy swooped in and fed him some new supersoft Super Green. He seems to just be chilling at the top, but not sideways anymore!!! Right side up and when I engage him, he swims all around. More slime coat sloughing but I hope that is to be expected. No pineconing and definitely no other injuries on the outside :)

Edited by kaylaj2355

Hahaha I feel like we should swap filters xD

I'm stuffing more media in, denser media, and seeing what happens. Odd!

Hey guys! MC has more slime coat sloughing off his side today...the side that was stuck to the filter. Is this pretty normal? I noticed it yesterday; it's just more prominent today.

• Helper

Oh! I'm sorry for your little injured telescope! The filter baffle out of PVC is a marvelous idea, however, since PVC is less likely than many plastics to leech and isn't overly brittle when you're working with it. Let us know how the retrofit goes.

I just busted a gut reading your fish size description.

I hope he's doing better, so sorry this happened!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

He is looking worse and worse, and spat his food out tonight :( He still swims around readily, he just seems uncomfortable. His side looks ridiculous. Way worse than the first day or yesterday. I can't tell if it looks worse because it's healing or because it's actually getting worse. Mer. Any input?

Linking to a photo because it's rather icky. View with discretion! http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/kjfishies/11213993906_9beff58621_o_zpsc91c2af7.jpg

• Supporter

hun, this looks quite bad. i am pretty confident that DP called it correctly when he posted that the fish became stuck to the intake tube due to weakening from illness.

this looks like it could be primarily a parasite infestation and progressing to a secondary bacteria infection,.

do you have or can you order some MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection?

You really think so, Helen? He was strong and healthy the day before! The side of him that is all ickyfied is the part that was getting sucked by the filter. I figured it just sucked the slime coat off :(

I can order some hopefully tomorrow...bad timing, I took out a car loan a couple months ago, faxed the bank the wrong copy of the title, and my bank froze my bank accounts until they get the right one. I faxed it over today, but they're still frozen. Bah.

Like those literally would have been the areas exposed to suction, the pattern just seems like it makes sense to me. My filter is messed up somehow...this suction is way way way beyond normal.

Edit: Sorry, I keep editing xD Would what you're talking about cause this on his other side? Because his other side is flawless, just like pre-accident!

Edited by kaylaj2355

Is he still in the main tank? :idont

No no no, 5 gallon QT until I can get a 10 gallon tomorrow :) He's not going back until he's back to 100% normal I think.

OK, good. Have you treated him with any salt or meds since this happened? :idont

Nothing so far, just rest and very soft food and clean water :)

• Supporter

it's just odd that the slime coat is so affected. i am concerned that the stress from what happened has accelerated any illness that may have been lurking.

usually, a fish that has an injury as such, damage does not spread and is usually contained to the injured area. even from attack, accident etc, the slime coat does not display this amount of damage.

unlike fins and flesh, the slimecoat on fish does not easily become affected and peel away without the presence of illness or injury. and if it does begin to peel away from injury, this usually happens surrounding the site only. you can gain an understanding of this by checking our siphon related injury threads and comparing the photos.

i've had small moors like this before. yes, they are weak swimmers, but my filters have stronger current than yours and i have 2 per tank. i had never seen them in a position to be too weak a swimmer to not be able to get away from the strength of the intake tubes.

can you take a pic from his other side as well as a top view photo?

i recommend that you begin a very mild 0.1% salt treatment so that slime coat begins repairing itself as quickly as possible.

• Supporter

if it's decided that you need MetroMeds, i can transfer some PayPal $$ to you for the purchase & you can reimburse me when you can. if that is helpful to you, please send me a PM and i will be happy to arrange it :)

That's exactly what it looks like though, that's where the suction was on him. He was on the intake that looks like:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/assets/images/product_images/image/d_6548.jpg

Curved around it like a ring on a finger. That side of him was the side on the actual intake, and the suction when I pulled him off...it was stronger than my siphon. It was scary.

if it's decided that you need MetroMeds, i can transfer some PayPal $$ to you for the purchase & you can reimburse me when you can. if that is helpful to you, please send me a PM and i will be happy to arrange it :)

You're so wonderful Helen :D :D No worries though, everything will be settled in the morning when I call and make sure it's settled ;) You're so sweet!

Hmm, my other fish all seem fine...and Tele was fine too at 4am on Monday morning. I found him at 7am on the intake tubey thing, and his side looked all...sucked on like this. It's just sudden. It seems so weird to me.

Is he still eating? Were you able to order the MMs? Do you have powdered metronidazole? :idont

How does he look today? :hug

Ordering MMs today and he doesn't have an appetite :( but his side is actually looking a little better, he's swimming around more. He just seems so sore, he rests unless I interact with him.