Blah omg oldest mistake in the book I'm so lame

kaylaj2355

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8ish? I never can tell whether to do the high-range or not, it seems like it's right between them. Right before a water change the tank is usually at an 8.4.
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9? I never can tell whether to do the high-range or not, it seems like it's right between them.
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Kit Drops
  • * Water temperature? 65-68 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon barebottom, minimal decor and filled to the brim. Running for 5 months.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 110 and Fluval 306 canister
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 80% or so...I drain it until the fatties are just barely covered :)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80%, yesterday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Kiwi+fins oranda, baseball+fins ryukin, large egg+fins ranchu, large grape+fins ranchu, and my injured guy, eehhh...what shape is he? He's like a boy scout pocket knife size with a little belly. Handsome black moor.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Very sparing Seachem Flourish and Seachem Prime with water changes
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Super Green, I feed 2-4 times from 5pm-10pm nightly
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The ranchus were most recent, they got out of QT a month ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Ryukin and oranda have both had Prazi treatments in the past, injured black moor had Prazi treatments in QT. I chose not to Prazi the ranchus and the whole tank has not been Prazi'd. Controversial, I know, it's just what I feel is best for my family in my fish mom heart.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See below
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I did the stupidest thing. I got a new filter. The AC 110. A while ago. Probably...2 months? And I didn't pay any attention to how much the intake was pulling in. I know better. I feel so guilty. But alas, this morning, MC Tele, my black moor, one of my weaker swimmers, was wrapped around the intake on his RIGHT side. I flipped cuckoo nutso. Got him out real quick, put him in a little 2.5 gallon rectangle tank. I had to get to work so I drove to work bawling my guts out and got to work (a hot mess) where everyone was sweet and hugged me and I told them I needed to take an early lunch to go deal with the situation. My husband texted shortly after I got there that MC was swimming and acting normal, seemed okay. So I rushed home and it was true. His one side is scraped up...but I can't tell if any actual scales are missing. He had no protest when I gently pulled him off the filter; all my fish are wonderful with being handled and he's the best. I was able to look him over pretty well. There has been obvious bronzy gold under his black coloring for a long time, but one side is now obviously lighter than the other thanks to the current of the filter. His fins are torn, but not as badly as they should be. Both his little...pectoral fins, I think they are, seem to be working. His fin joints are not swollen at all. His eye somehow is okay...a spot on the globe is a little pushed in, so little that you might not even be able to see in the video. Slight milky slime coming off one of his eye globes but again just barely anything. His lens looks fine and he appears to be able to see out of the eye. It is just a bit cloudy itself, the iris. Gills look uninjured and seem to both be working fine. No pineconing, bloating, or obvious surface wounds. I would honestly believe he was a-okay BUT when he comes to rest, he goes to the top side-up. It's heartbreaking. Then when I get his attention he springs right back into life, but I just don't know if there's anything I can do from here. Any advice? I'm obviously picking up a sponge intake cover on my way home and no need to bring out the Kokostick, my head is already hung to the floor in shame :( :( :( My poor guy. I just feel so awful.

11173719035_2b3b025126.jpg

^ Bent over on the top at rest :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erqobaN8msw

Sorry for the shaky video.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hug first of all it's not your fault.

I would simply observe him in QT (can you get something bigger when you get a chance?) for a few days. Good clean water and see if anything develops. Feed lightly and, obviously, avoid any foods known to make him floaty if there are any.

Keep us posted. :D

Thanks Lisa -hugs- No problem, I have a Sterilite tub I can get going with a little air stone once I get home! Think he's all right in the little tank until 5 or should I text my husband and call in a favor?

My fingers are crossed, then! Pull through little dude!

MC Tele is our "marriage fish"...remember the movie How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days? "You killed our love fern!!!" I hope I didn't kill our love fish xD

Sorry to hear about your fish scare. I know it is an awful feeling. I'm no expert but my advice is to keep the water extra clean for a while.

Is there a way to turn down the intake without using the sponge prefilter? Those things really clog up quickly.

I'd love any suggestions, Diesel! This filter is BOSS, but it sucks water like it knows it's the boss. It was on the "low" flow setting before. Right now it's unplugged, in time-out. I'm ready to just stomp on the stupid thing but I know that's just my crabby emotions talking.

:heart I hope your love fish heals and recovers quickly :heart:hug:teehee

Maybe baffle the output with mesh or an extra sponge or something :idont I understand that people who use the pre filters need to remove them just about daily and rinse them cuz they fill up with gunk so fast and may wear out your impeller quicker too since filter must work harder to get water thru :idont But it may be worth it for the love fish :heart

I don't really have suggestions as I am not familiar with the intake on that filter and it sounds like you have already adjusted it down. is the intake near the bottom of the tank? Is there a way to keep the fish from getting near it by putting it inside of or behind a decoration type of thing?

Wow I just Googled the intake diffuser thingy on that and it is quite small! I wonder if you could just find a bigger one that would fit? Something like a wiffle ball? Probably not beautiful in the tank huh?

Edited by DieselPlower

I'd love any suggestions, Diesel! This filter is BOSS, but it sucks water like it knows it's the boss. It was on the "low" flow setting before. Right now it's unplugged, in time-out. I'm ready to just stomp on the stupid thing but I know that's just my crabby emotions talking.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Hope your fish continues to heal get back to normal.

Wow I just Googled the intake diffuser thingy on that and it is quite small! I wonder if you could just find a bigger one that would fit? Something like a wiffle ball? Probably not beautiful in the tank huh?

It is a little tiny thing, especially on such a big filter!! That's not a bad idea at all, I've never had issues with my "cage" style intake on my Fluval. The tank ain't purdy anyway, I might as well make it safe!! :D :D Looking into this for sure.

You can make a very effective baffle for the intake from a pvc pipe. Get some 1" thin wall pvc pipe. Cut a piece long enough so that you can stand it on the bottom and put the intake tube in it when the filter is in place. Then drill lots of holes in the pipe. Sand off the burrs from the drilling.

Set up the filter with the intake tube inside the pipe. Because you have lots of holes for the water to go in, there is little suction at any given hole. Once you have it working right, paint it black and it will look fine.

You can make a very effective baffle for the intake from a pvc pipe. Get some 1" thin wall pvc pipe. Cut a piece long enough so that you can stand it on the bottom and put the intake tube in it when the filter is in place. Then drill lots of holes in the pipe. Sand off the burrs from the drilling.

Set up the filter with the intake tube inside the pipe. Because you have lots of holes for the water to go in, there is little suction at any given hole. Once you have it working right, paint it black and it will look fine.

I love it. I actually have that kind of pipe at home already; I use it to make a "gutter" for when I drain my tank out the sliding glass door xD

I was even looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Strainer-fits-any-Tube/dp/B0002DICIM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386009601&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=aquaclear+intake+strainer

That's what is on my Emperor and it works great . . . Except for Bobbies poo is too big to fit. :yikes

:rofl :rofl

I just want to say you are not lame, it's not your fault, so stop blaming yourself. :hug You meant no harm to your fish.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Hopefully just clean fresh water will heal him and make him 100% better.

I do want to point out that when I put my hand around the input of my 400 gph filter intake, I barely feel anything. Having given this a little thought, I wonder if the fish was weakened by something prior to getting stuck to the intake? A healthy fish has no problem avoiding the intake of my 1300 gph pond pump.