Eugene's health problems (still)

Fish_Fanatic

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been around. So hello!

I'm concerned about my moor Eugene. He's just been one big, ongoing health problem. He's had dropsy several times now (it just seems to come and go with him), and I've treated with metronidazole each time. Seems to work, but I hate having to medicated him so often. I make up a gel food with the medication in it, and feed it to him that way. He's also had a tumor on his gills (on his left side) for going on a couple of years now. The first time I saw it, it grew pretty big, and then fell off on its own. The next time, it got big again, and then shrunk down. Now, its been getting bigger and bigger, and its also changing colour in parts. Some parts of it are red, some a dark purple/black colour, but the majority of it is just kind of a transleucent tissue colour. It looks really uncomfortable, and it has just been getting worse (slowly). I noticed today that he has a small red-ish pink mark on his underside (I think its because he's been bottom sitting lately, a lot). He looks so unhappy :( He is actually tilting a little bit right now, just leaning to one side on the bottom. I don't know it the metro did the trick this time - his scales aren't pine coning any more, but he's still got other symptoms.

I just wish I knew what I could do to help him - especially with the tumor. I can try to get pictures later, but I've posted several photos before in posts from a while ago.

I will admit, I haven't been able to change the water in the tank as often as I wish I could lately, because it's the end of the semester at university, and I've been way over my head in papers and projects and exams. It's been a little over two weeks since I've done a water change. I'm going to be doing one today though. Hopefully that will help more poor Eugene feel a bit better.

Also, water testing. I can't do it right now. I don't even have time to clean the tank today, but I'm going to be doing that regardless. I have a massive exam coming up in two days, plus four more exams in the days following. These problems (especially the tumor) have persisted for a LONG time, and through any fluctuating water conditions. My water params are usually absolutely perfect, but no matter what, Eugene is still dealing with these health problems. :(

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - haven't tested
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - haven't tested
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - haven't tested
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - haven't tested
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - haven't tested
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - haven't tested
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - haven't tested
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - haven't tested
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - I use nutrafin drops
      • * Water temperature? - about 20 celcius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 38 gallons, many years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - aquaclear 50, tetra whisper ex45
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? - lately, it's been about every two weeks, and 40-50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - about two and a half weeks ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 2, both about 3 inches long plus tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - home made gel food daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - metronidazole (just finished treatment yesterday)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - big tumor on gill, bottom sitting, slightly tilting, pretty bloated looking (was pine coning last week, but the meds helped with that), small pink spot under belly (from resting on bottom), other fish starting to pick on him
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - see above

Sorry to hear that Eugene is not feeling well. A moderator will be along soon to give you guidance. Of course they will want the water parameters as soon as possible. Good energy to you in wrapping up your semester, especially your upcoming exams. Your fishies will be glad when it is over and they can get more of your attention!

Hi Courtney,

How are you? I hope all is well with university! :)

As for Eugene, I'm sorry that he is having these issues. Unfortunately, with dropsy, there is no absolute cure. I think this is because dropsy is just the term given to a set of symptoms that are brought upon by internal organ malfunction, in particular the kidneys. It may be that once these organs are damaged, they are prone to being overtaxed, and when they are, dropsy presents itself again. Treating with metro-containing meds is the only way I know that has a high percentage of success, although at some point it will stop working. :(

The tumor possibly could be removed, but this is another thing that will recur, later if not sooner.

So, while I really dislike being the bearer of bad news, I feel that I should be as forthright with you as I can. Both of Eugene's conditions are chronic, and at some point, they will lead to his death, or they will cause such a deterioration of quality of life. I think you are already doing all that you can for him.

I wish there is more I can offer up. :(

Hi Alex,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for your input. That's what I had already feared. I'm going to be going to the vet soon (have to take in a sick gecko), so I might as well pick up some extra metro while I'm there.

I just wish there was something permanent that I could do about his tumor! I think that would make him a lot more comfortable, but if there are no options... well, I guess I'll just keep him as happy as I can.

Hi Alex,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for your input. That's what I had already feared. I'm going to be going to the vet soon (have to take in a sick gecko), so I might as well pick up some extra metro while I'm there.

I just wish there was something permanent that I could do about his tumor! I think that would make him a lot more comfortable, but if there are no options... well, I guess I'll just keep him as happy as I can.

Eugene is fortunate to have you as his Goldfish mom!