weighing food

LouiseAnn

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is more of a guideline than just however much they can eat in 2 minutes? Say for example. .. 55 gram fish fed 2 times a day what it can handle in 2 minutes. Or 55gram fish fed 7 times a day what it can handle in 2 minutes. Is there a % of body weight they should consume per day at appropriate intervals?

Thanks!

Hi Louise. :) There is a percentage of food that some people feed their fish. I don't do it but have thought of it. I don't remember what it is though. Hopefully someone will come by and answer your question shortly/soon. :)

0.02% of whatever the fish weighs??? Is that right??? I don't know. Sorry. :(

The more small meals a fish eats throughout the day....the better for the digestion.

I feed usually 3 times a day.

Edited by 4prettyfish

1% of the body weight per day is a good place to start, spread over between 2 -6 meals a day. You can see how they do on that and then adjust accordingly. I think between 0.5% - 2% of their body weight per day is the guideline, it just depends whether you want quicker / slower growth, what you're feeding, and how your fish respond etc. Much more accurate than the 2 minute rule! :D

Edit: Tithra suggests 0.5% - 1% if you feed pellets, or 2-3% if you're feeding I food with a high water content like gel food. I feed Repashy gel food, but I still go with 1% because I like to thoroughly supplement with veggies and bloodworms. Supplementary foods aren't included in the percentage guideline, you can feed these in addition to the 1% staple food.

Louise, this thread should answer most of your questions. If you have anymore, feel free to ask. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Oooh thanks! I tried looking for one. Is there a easy way to find old threads ?

Louise, this thread should answer most of your questions. If you have anymore, feel free to ask. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Oooh thanks! I tried looking for one. Is there a easy way to find old threads ?

The search tool comes in handy. If a standard search fails, you can use the advanced search or Google.