Euthanizing - A Video Demonstration.

Helen

A sad but great video. Thanks for taking the time to sharing this with us all, since it can be very helpful for some of us :)

The "problem" I usually have when I do this (luckily not yet with goldfish but only with small tropicals) is that I always feel unsure about the dosage. I do not want to use just too little or too much to irritate the gills etc of the fish before he passes out.

i remember, hun. Leonidis took the sedation like a champ, as he did several times before and peacefully passed on once the anaesthesia overdose was added. no struggles of any sort. very peaceful. i am at peace with it all as well. an autopsy confirmed my suspicions that he had a tumour the size of an small olive growing in his brain which caused him total blindness, disorientation and total loss of his swimming ability and then loss of appetite. all this happened in a time frame of 10 days.. making the call to euth came at the right time. i am at peace with it :heart

It's nice to know Helen that Leon wasn't fighting the clove oil and that he went peacefully. That must have been a dreadful ten days for him and for you to see him go through all that. Diseases suck! I'm glad you are at peace with everything. You made the right decision for Leonidis. :hug

RIP Leon

Oh Helen! I'm sorry :( Thanks for sharing this with us. Your strength is commendable. Thank you. :bighug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A really tough thing to watch, but very educational and I'm glad I did.

Thank you for having the strength, composure and kindness to show and educate us with this.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Supporter

You are so brave Helen.

I allways cry when euthanizing one of my fish friends.

I know it is for the best when i do it, but it still hurts.

Jepser, thank you.. i had a sooky moment before starting to record the video :hug

i hope your visit to this thread is not the beginning of any bad news with your fish. but as an excellent aquarist that you are, i am sure you would have already exhausted every possible option on maintaining you fish's good health. :hug

• 6 months later...

Hello friends,

Euthanizing has always and will always be a very sensitive topic. unfortunately, one of my fish needed to be Euthanized. i checked our site and realized there was no video demonstration on how this is done. so, whilst i was contemplating if i should euth my fish and as he took a turn for the worse, i decided that i would make the video to demonstrate how i managed this successfully & humanely.

Please understand, there are many illnesses that can be treated, many fish that look like they are knocking on death's door and depending on what the health issue is, some fish can and have been brought back to good health from these conditions with the dedicated help of our wonderful Moderating Team and our Experienced Members/Friends. please do seek help by posting a thread before you decide to euthanize your fish.

**********************************************************************************************

***WARNING***

The following video demonstration shows a fish being sedated and then receiving an anesthesia overdose. Please do not play the following video if you feel that seeing a fish being Euthanized will affect you in any way.

**********************************************************************************************

I had to euthanize my first fish last night...a little juvie that I had from fry-hood.  His spine was crooked, and I kept him regardless since he had such a silly little friendly personality.  He had figured out how to swim and did pretty well, though looked silly.  He ate well and socialized plenty and was a beautiful pearl white with one black spot on his head, like the reverse of Black Beauty the horse.  I didn't mind his disability and neither did he.

Unfortunately, as he grew larger his spine got too crooked to swim straight anymore, and he was unhappy. 

I just wanted to thank you, Helen.  Your video demonstration made everything that much easier.  By being able to watch how things should go prior to, I didn't worry I was doing it wrong and hurting him.  He wasn't sick, so it took a bit longer, but it was peaceful and calm.  I would have been a nervous wreck otherwise, so again, thank you.