Vegitarian gel food

Mernany

Hey guys,

So I am probably the worst at getting veggies in my fish's diet. I'll do really well for a couple weeks and then stop. One reason is it takes time to blanch it and I am so busy!!

So I'm wondering if I could make an all veggie gel mix to feed them so that veggies get in their diet. I would use this one days that are busy and I'm in a rush but I would of course feed them blanched veggies if I have the time.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Haha I have Super Green :) I use it mixed with Soilent Green though I was thinking a homemade one with a mix of veggies so that there is variety. :idont I could just make a batch of the mix and one of just Super Green but I want to get kale and other greens in their diet as well. Is it worth it?

Could you just purée some of your desired veggies with a premix and then have the best of both worlds :idont

I was thinking kale, green beans, green bell peppers (are they okay?), zucchini, garlic, mustard greens, maybe bok choy? Then use gelatine to make it gel form?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No gel food suggestions, but . . . I blanch my veggies once a month and then freeze them. Once blanched lay them out individually on a parchment paper covered cookie tray. Put the tray in the freezer until frozen. Then you can bag the veg without all the pieces sticking to eachother. I love this because I can just throw a frozen chunk or two in the tank at lunchtime without doing any work.

As an unexpected bonus my dog used to come into the kitchen and beg every time I pulled the frozen veg out of the freezer. This is unusual for him as he's not allowed in the kitchen and he's pretty good about this. "Guinness it's zucchini (or peas, or . . .). You don't like zucchini." Eventually I decided to offer him a piece just to prove to him that there was no point in begging. Turns out veg he won't eat thawed is the best treat of all time frozen. This next month I'll be blanching extra for him.

I'd go with flipper's suggestion and mix purée or fine-diced veggies with the premix.

Do you have any floaters, Mel? If s I'd be careful of using gelatin as a binder. It seems to make Tsumo's float issues worse at least for a short time. I think it has to do with how dense it is. It' doesn't seem to squish as well as Repashy does.

I know of the veggies and fruit you can feed I was more wondering if there is a combo that would be good. I've heard things like spinach can block them from getting calcium if fed too much, and that broccoli can cause gas. I want a high quality combo if that makes sense.

I'd go with flipper's suggestion and mix pur?e or?fine-diced veggies?with the premix.

?

Do you have any floaters, Mel? If s I'd be careful of using gelatin as a binder. It seems to make Tsumo's float issues worse at least for a short time. I think it has to do with how dense it is. It' doesn't seem to squish as well as Repashy does.

Oh man... I didn't know that about gelatin... cupid is my floater but it not bad yet. I can't figure out what causes it because it's with literally everything. I feel like he gets overly excited to eat and so he can't control himself :idont

So I'll search harder for agar agar (that's the other stuff right?) and see if I can get that instead. :)

I've made one with kale, cucumber, an apple, an orange, peas and a multivitamin. My fish eat it like there's no tomorrow. I do a day of the veggie/fruit food then I do a day with a protein food that I made also :)

I'd try kale+nori+garlic. My fish love that and it helps constipation. Good luck with the agar.

What is nori? I've never heard of that.

I've made one with kale, cucumber, an apple, an orange, peas and a multivitamin. My fish eat it like there's no tomorrow. I do a day of the veggie/fruit food then I do a day with a protein food that I made also :)

Oh thanks for reminding me of the multivitamins I need to use! I don't use fruits often (it has probably been a year since they've had any). I feel like there is too much sugar in it. :idont

I'd try kale+nori+garlic. My fish love that and it helps constipation. Good luck with the agar.

Oh thanks for reminding me of the multivitamins I need to use! I don't use fruits often (it has probably been a year since they've had any). I feel like there is too much sugar in it. :idont

They only have it one every other day and it was a very small proportion in comparison to the veggies in that mix. It's my first time trying gel food so it's trial and error, so far luckily no errors have occurred yet :P

Nori is seaweed. You can buy roasted Nori in the asian section of your grocery.

And yes, it is advised to feed fruit very rarely If at all. It is way too sugary.

I know of the veggies and fruit you can feed I was more wondering if there is a combo that would be good. I've heard things like spinach can block them from getting calcium if fed too much, and that broccoli can cause gas. I want a high quality combo if that makes sense.

I see. Sorry, I did not realize what you were aiming at.

?

?

Nori is seaweed.? You can buy roasted Nori in the asian section of your grocery.

?

And yes, it is advised to feed fruit very rarely If at all. It is way too sugary.

Ahh no wonder I haven't heard of it! :P interesting.

First things first is get my hands on agar agar then I'm going see what I'll put together :) still open to all suggestions! :D

?

?

?

?

I see.? Sorry, I did not realize what you were aiming at.

It's okay I didn't really specify that :/ It's my fault really :) That list is nice though! I actually have never seen that thread!