Sign in to follow this  
PacificaNZ

Broccoli Smell

I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else. I decided to give my Orandas Broccoli for the first time so I microwaved a piece in some water for 40secs to soften it after leaving it in the tank for over an hour while my fish snacked on it I came back into my room and the stink of broccoli hit me as my tank is partially covered. I had to do a 50% water change so now Broccoli is off the menu..:(

Edited by PacificaNZ

That sounds odd. Are you sure it was coming from the tank? How big of a portion were you feeding?

That happened to me once... and once is how many times I've put broccoli in my tank. :P

Took me a couple days to air out after the great "Hard Boiled Egg" incident of 2012. :rofl3

Hang in there!

I feed my gf broccoli once in awhile but only give them small, bite size pieces that I cut off for them. They eat it all pretty quick except for tiny bits of the stalk they can't chew very well. So there is hardly any smell.

The benefit I found from broccoli is it controls the brown algae problem I had. I proved it several times now when the brown stuff appeared. I cleaned the tank off, changed about half the water and fed broccoli. Then the algae didn't come back for ages--otherwise it came back by the next week.

Kristi, that is really interesting. If the diatoms return, would you collect some good data for us? Take a before picture, tell us how much broccoli you fed and for how long, count how many days it took to disappear, and document the disappearance with pictures. There are so many people who would like to get rid of this stuff.

That sounds odd. Are you sure it was coming from the tank? How big of a portion were you feeding?

Was about a small bitesize floret stalk and all rubbed with garlic. Maybe i over cooked it in the microwave i dunno. The smell wasn't overwhelming but just annoying.

Kristi, that is really interesting. If the diatoms return, would you collect some good data for us? Take a before picture, tell us how much broccoli you fed and for how long, count how many days it took to disappear, and document the disappearance with pictures. There are so many people who would like to get rid of this stuff.

Agreed! I don't have this problem with my goldfish tank, but my tropical has issues.

I would be glad to do that! I just fed broccoli the other day so I won't feed anymore until the brown algae appears and then go from there. :)

There are worse smells that broccoli! But maybe if you put it in a veggie clip and only let them nom at it for a couple of minutes it wouldn't permeate through the tank so badly?