Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

2nd Round of Prazi Concern

Being a parent is just hard and painful sometimes. :rofl

Your gH and kH are OK, but I would like to double those numbers if possible. For now, let's leave things be, and then work on it as they become more active.

Have you been seeing their poop? What does it look like?

I would like for you to cut down the amount of food fed to 1/2 of what you are feeding.

Being a parent is just hard and painful sometimes. :rofl

Your gH and kH are OK, but I would like to double those numbers if possible. For now, let's leave things be, and then work on it as they become more active.

Have you been seeing their poop? What does it look like?

I would like for you to cut down the amount of food fed to 1/2 of what you are feeding.

Yesterday, when I fed them peas they were pooping green poops as they swam around, meaning it was not a long string, just falling off in little clumps as they swam around. This morning before feeding, I saw that Carmen had a long black poop which is weird because I didn't feed them anything after the peas. I've not seen anything from Jack today, just yesterday with green poops.

Update: When I did water change yesterday, there were some long brown poops in the substrate.

Edited by LisaCGold

I am thinking that part of this is that they may be somewhat constipated/overfed, which will most definitely slow a fish down also.

How much are you feeding?

I am thinking that part of this is that they may be somewhat constipated/overfed, which will most definitely slow a fish down also.

How much are you feeding?

Hard to say how much I'm feeding since I don't measure or count, but usually what they can eat in 3-4 minutes. I'll cut feeding down by half. Or should I just skip a day? Then cut in half? I've been just feeding once a day since tank not cycled.

Also, I'm not planning on third round of praziquantel until they have more energy.

That's a good idea re: holding off on further prazi treatments.

I would like for you to do this, please:

- add 1/4 teaspoon Epsom (dissolved first) per 10 gallons tank water.

- feed enough for them to eat it all in 60 seconds, but feed twice daily, morning and night.

- peas or veggies in the middle, if you wish. (peas = 1/2 a pea each)

:)

That's a good idea re: holding off on further prazi treatments.

I would like for you to do this, please:

- add 1/4 teaspoon Epsom (dissolved first) per 10 gallons tank water.

- feed enough for them to eat it all in 60 seconds, but feed twice daily, morning and night.

- peas or veggies in the middle, if you wish. (peas = 1/2 a pea each)

:)

Great! I'll start tomorrow morning. Actually I'll do water change first. I've had salt at .2, should I continue that also? Edited by LisaCGold

How long have they been in salt? If it's over 1.5 weeks, let's stop that as well for now. :)

How long have they been in salt? If it's over 1.5 weeks, let's stop that as well for now. :)

Yes, over 1.5 weeks. I won't replace after water change. Just Epsom. Thanks!!!

Edited by LisaCGold

I did 80% water change, almost 3/4 tsp Epsom, and Prime this morning. Then fed NLS Thera A as prescribed above for morning only. For evening feeding I did seaweed.

They are pooping! Not the very short poops and not the long ones--more like in between. More energy today, less bottom sitting.

I will continue on this plan (will fed NLS for evening though) for the next couple of days. Maybe by then they will be ready for 3rd round of prazi.

Sounds good! :)

I assume there is no need to put in more Epsom salt unless I do a water change, correct? I will either do water change Friday or Saturday. But maybe by then they will be ready for 3rd round of prazi. When the third round starts, do I stop the Epsom salt and continue with regular salt? Thanks!

Sounds good! :)

I assume there is no need to put in more Epsom salt unless I do a water change, correct? I will either do water change Friday or Saturday. But maybe by then they will be ready for 3rd round of prazi. When the third round starts, do I stop the Epsom salt and continue with regular salt? Thanks!

That's right, only replace Epsom when you do WCs, and then only in the amount proportional to the amount of water you take out. :)

I don't think you'll need to continue to use Epsom once you are ready to continue with prazi, as well as not needing regular salt.

How are they doing today?

That's right, only replace Epsom when you do WCs, and then only in the amount proportional to the amount of water you take out. :)

I don't think you'll need to continue to use Epsom once you are ready to continue with prazi, as well as not needing regular salt.

How are they doing today?

Today, Jack and Carmen have more energy than yesterday. I've not really seen any bottom sitting this morning which is an excellent sign of improvement! Lots of foraging for food--another good sign. Thank you for asking!

That's great!

While we can't make the conclusion quite just yet, it does look like they just needed a bit less food than they've been getting. :)

That's great!

While we can't make the conclusion quite just yet, it does look like they just needed a bit less food than they've been getting. :)

Yup, I can see that all roads lead to that conclusion. I've been too eager to please my little babies with lots of wonderful food. That's okay, just much less of it.

Edited by LisaCGold

Jack and Carmen are happy goldfish. Pooping and swimming around! I believe tomorrow is a good time to start the 3rd round of prazi (no salt). Do you agree?

Should I start third round of praziquantel today?

Should I start third round of praziquantel today?

Give it another week, and then start. We can afford to wait. :)

Oops! I started yesterday. Jack and Carmen are real active. Should I stop this prazi round?

If its in and they are acting fine I'd leave it. :)

Alex? :idont

yes, and yes

why are you asking me? :rofl

Thank you, Alex and Lisa. If they slow down, I'll be back in touch.

Update: Jack and Carmen are doing very well. Pooping and lots of energy. Third round of prazi (no salt) will be done on Thursday morning. These three rounds of prazi are the first time I've prazi'd them since getting them at Pet**art back in late October/early November. Will I need to do a fourth round of prazi? Thanks!

Yes, I would like for you to do a fourth round, but let's set it after a WC some time in January. After than let's do a round every 3-6 months, no salt, in with WC, and then forgetting about it. :)

I'm glad they are doing better! :D