Opinions on TMS and Peace River Gravel

LisaCGold

I'm currently exploring changing the gravel in my tank to Tahatian Moon Sand or to Peace River Gravel (PRG). Here is link to video on PRG:

As far as I can tell the grain size is the same. I've read many posts on TMS, but haven't found any on PRG. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on TMS and especially on PRG.

Thanks!

According to the Caribsea website, TMS is smaller than PRG, but only barely. (0.5mm-1mm vs 1mm-2mm granule size)

Personally, I would go with whatever you like better. Lots of people on here use TMS, so you'll get quite a few reviews on that. I've never seen anyone use PRG, so you'd be unique in having it.

I don't have substrate at all, so that's also an option. :)

According to the Caribsea website, TMS is smaller than PRG, but only barely. (0.5mm-1mm vs 1mm-2mm granule size)

Personally, I would go with whatever you like better. Lots of people on here use TMS, so you'll get quite a few reviews on that. I've never seen anyone use PRG, so you'd be unique in having it.

Thanks for pointing out the size difference. I do worry about having the grains caught in my fishies' mouth, so smaller is better. I have to say I like the color of PRG better though.

I have thought about no substrate, but I lean towards having one. I remember reading a post about goldfish looking bored without digging around. I know that they spend a better part of the day doing this. I remember seeing a video on youtube of TMS and goldfish. The goldfish looked like they were having some serious fun digging around in it.

Substrate of the size as the PRG should be no problem for the goldfish. Even if swallowed - which is unlikely since as 'special' as our fish appear at times, they are unlikely to actually intentionally swallow a piece of rock - at that small size it would eventually just be pooped back out.

I think I personally would go with the PRG. I like the grain size, and it is more than likely too heavy to get into the filter, and does not look like it will make the tank cloudy.

If you are not planning to really plant the tank, I would go with a very thin layer of 1/4 or less, independent from what substrate you are choosing. This is enough depth for the fish to have fun sifting through, while still thin enough to be kept clean more easily :)

I have Caribsea Kon Tiki, which is a little bigger than Peace River. It is also a tiny bit darker. I have liked it well enough, but have been thinking of switching to TMS for some time now. It actually has been in my shopping cart on amazon all day just waiting for me to click buy now :). Kon Tiki and Peace River offer a more natural look, but I just love how the TMS makes everything pop.

Substrate of the size as the PRG should be no problem for the goldfish. Even if swallowed - which is unlikely since as 'special' as our fish appear at times, they are unlikely to actually intentionally swallow a piece of rock - at that small size it would eventually just be pooped back out.

I think I personally would go with the PRG. I like the grain size, and it is more than likely too heavy to get into the filter, and does not look like it will make the tank cloudy.

If you are not planning to really plant the tank, I would go with a very thin layer of 1/4 or less, independent from what substrate you are choosing. This is enough depth for the fish to have fun sifting through, while still thin enough to be kept clean more easily :)

Fang, Thank you. Good to hear that the size of the grain could be pooped back out if they do accidentally swallow one. As for plants in the tank, I'm sitting with that decision for now. I've ordered a 5lb bag of PRG from amazon to check it out. Right now the grain size of the gravel I have prohibits the fishies from easily shifting through it.

I have Caribsea Kon Tiki, which is a little bigger than Peace River. It is also a tiny bit darker. I have liked it well enough, but have been thinking of switching to TMS for some time now. It actually has been in my shopping cart on amazon all day just waiting for me to click buy now :). Kon Tiki and Peace River offer a more natural look, but I just love how the TMS makes everything pop.

Summer4, Thanks for telling me about Kon Tiki. I like the color of the gravel. TMS does make everything pop. I love how you can have things in your amazon shopping cart and they will be there forever until you take them out. Pretty dangerous!

Thanks for pointing out the size difference. I do worry about having the grains caught in my fishies' mouth, so smaller is better. I have to say I like the color of PRG better though.

I have thought about no substrate, but I lean towards having one. I remember reading a post about goldfish looking bored without digging around. I know that they spend a better part of the day doing this. I remember seeing a video on youtube of TMS and goldfish. The goldfish looked like they were having some serious fun digging around in it.

Honestly, I have seen little to no difference in my fish with or without substrate. As long as they have plants or even scattered river stones to poke in, they should be fine. See here for a very funny way to look at that. :) It's all your choice though. I can't wait to see how the PRG looks in your tank! :D

Honestly, I have seen little to no difference in my fish with or without substrate. As long as they have plants or even scattered river stones to poke in, they should be fine. See here for a very funny way to look at that. :) It's all your choice though. I can't wait to see how the PRG looks in your tank! :D

Chelsea, Thank you for posting the link to the thread. I loved reading it! Maybe in the beginning I'll have substrate, then eventually a bare-bottom once the vertical aspects of the tank get more interesting and stimulating.

I have a bare bottom tank but I really like the look and different color variations of your peace river gravel. I'll be looking forward to seeing that in your tank. So I hope you post a video once it's in. :)

I have a bare bottom tank but I really like the look and different color variations of your peace river gravel. I'll be looking forward to seeing that in your tank. So I hope you post a video once it's in. :)

I would also love close up documentation as well as if it's gravel vacuumable :please:

I have enjoyed this thread :)

I have peace river gravel in my 29. If you go to my youtube, it is in the DO butterfly tank videos. I personally really love it.

I found your videos. Your 29 tank is beautiful and so are your fish! It's cool to see the peace river rock with the plants. It helps me to get ideas. Flipper asked about vacuumability. What's vacuuming like with peace river rock?

I found this youtube on goldfish and TMS:

I can't remember if I found the link on Koko's or somewhere else. Anyway, about 30 seconds into the video one of the calico goldfish really goes at the TMS. It is so cute!

I have peace river gravel in my 29. If you go to my youtube, it is in the DO butterfly tank videos. I personally really love it.

?

I found your videos. Your 29 tank is beautiful and so are your fish! It's cool to see the peace river rock with the plants. It helps me to get ideas. Flipper asked about vacuumability. What's vacuuming like with peace river rock?

It is the same as regular gravel. But it doesn't seem to get as dirty.

Personally, I would go with whatever you like better. Lots of people on here use TMS, so you'll get quite a few reviews on that. I've never seen anyone use PRG, so you'd be unique in having it.?

?

Chelsea, do you have issues with the poop being more visible in a bare-bottom tank? I'm moving soon and have been considering a bare-bottom, lightly to moderately planted tank. The gravel hides the appearance of the poop pretty well, except in my tank with black gravel. I do weekly water changes and am worried about the poop being so obvious in a bare bottom that I would want to vacuum multiple times a day.

Also, a lot of people have said cleaning bare bottoms is much easier than cleaning graveled tanks. Is this because you can better see exactly what you need to vacuum up, as opposed to vacuuming all the gravel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chelsea, do you have issues with the poop being more visible in a bare-bottom tank? I'm moving soon and have been considering a bare-bottom, lightly to moderately planted tank. The gravel hides the appearance of the poop pretty well, except in my tank with black gravel. I do weekly water changes and am worried about the poop being so obvious in a bare bottom that I would want to vacuum multiple times a day.

Also, a lot of people have said cleaning bare bottoms is much easier than cleaning graveled tanks. Is this because you can better see exactly what you need to vacuum up, as opposed to vacuuming all the gravel?

I know I'm not Chelsea, but here's my input. Debris and leftover foodstuffs are far more visible in a bare bottom tank. If you don't like seeing a mess, you can remove it in-between water changes with a turkey baster or some other type of dropper. Although, to be honest, you get used to the visible debris after awhile.

Cleaning is simpler for a number of reasons, but mainly, as you said, because you can see what you're cleaning. When you don't have to dredge through a layer of gravel, cleaning becomes significantly faster. You're still confined to how long it takes to empty a tank, yet the actual cleaning component requires less effort. For some, this is a big plus.

I know I'm not Chelsea, but here's my input. Debris and leftover foodstuffs are far more visible in a bare bottom tank. If you don't like seeing a mess, you can remove it in-between water changes with a turkey baster or some other type of dropper. Although, to be honest, you get used to the visible debris after awhile.

Cleaning is simpler for a number of reasons, but mainly, as you said, because you can see what you're cleaning. When you don't have to dredge through a layer of gravel, cleaning becomes significantly faster. You're still confined to how long it takes to empty a tank, yet the actual cleaning component requires less effort. For some, this is a big plus.

If I angle my filter outputs on my canister just the right way, I don't have any debris that is shown for very long as the filter takes care of it. When I had HOBs, this was the case if I put them on the sides of the tank instead of the back to create the right current. With the 10x filtration rule we use for goldfish, it is easy for the filters to create enough current to take care of all the debris, lending to a cleaner barebottom environment than the barebottom tropical tank I have going with what is supposed to be adequate filtration for that tank. Like Dan touched on, it is definitely a big plus to have such an easy cleanup. It's literally as simple as moving a couple stones around with the siphon, scrub the floor and walls for algae and I am done with the cleaning part, so I can clip the python to the tank and drain the tank down to my desired level. It really beats vacuuming gravel and then still having debris come up later, let me tell ya!

If you're worried about seeing debris, break up the complete view of the bottom with plants attached to driftwood or rock and river stones. Riparium Supply also sells tank planters that still allow you to keep plants that generally would need substrate. I find that if there's enough to create a beautiful environment, there's less of a chance you'll notice the odd bit of debris for the short time it is in the tank.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thank you, Everyone, for your input!

I went to a place called Aquarium Co-Op today (near Seattle in a town called Edmonds). They sell freshwater fish from local breeders and freshwater supplies. They have this tank with a freshwater Mbu puffer fish called Hank who was about two feet long. Incredible fish in a 350 gallon tank (with lots of other fish), anyway the gravel in Hank's tank was exactly what I wanted. Gold/white-ish grains larger than sand, smaller than peace river rock. Probably about .5mm or smaller (measurements weren't specified) and the grains are more round/smooth than peace river rock. It is their brand of substrate (Aquarium Co-Op Aquarium Substrate). $7.50 for 10 lbs. It is perfect! Over time I'll get rid of the current gravel and replace it with this cool sand gravel. I'll take pictures when it is in.

More on Hank: What a sweetie! I was up close to the aquarium glass and he smushed his lips onto the glass, then his cheeks. Right in front of my face. It was the cutest way of saying "Hello, who are you?"

Here is a live feed into Hank's tank: http://www.aquariumcoop.com/hank-cam/

You may get a glimpse of him. You can see the gravel, but it appears more white on camera.

I can't see Hank :(

E: but congrats on finding the right gravel for you :)

Edited by Flipper

I couldn't get Hank's video to work. :(

The first time I clicked on the link, I got to the webpage but the video wouldn't play. So I closed down that page, and clicked on the link again. It worked that time. Try it a couple of times. When it did finally play for me, I only got to see Hank's yellow tail. Still very impressive in comparison to the much smaller fish in the tank.