air stone required?

kjm-rn

I have a 55 gallon cube tank that is completely cycled with 1 oranda, 1 fantail, and 1 teeny tiny panda butterfly telescope (that I got last week). I have a fluval 406 and an aqua clear 30 running on the tank. There is probably no point to the aqua clear, since it's only meant for a 30 gallon, but I use it because it was a cycled filter and the fluval wasn't cycled when I got the tank up and running. I also like that the aqua clear adds bubbles into the tank.

Anyway, my question is, how necessary is it to add an air stone? I don't have any, but I was unsure if this was unsafe. I don't particularly like the look of air stones, but if it's necessary I'll pick one up.

You probably know that, from the viewpoint of gas exchange, the only tank worse than a cube is one that has height as it's greatest dimension. That said, healthy goldfish don't need an airstone as long as there is splashing water from a filter. It's useful to have one on hand in case a fish gets sick and you need to set up a hospital tank.

Now, please read this.

I was asking about the air stone due to the fact that my tank is very tall as it is a cube. There is aeration to the water from the HOB filter, but was unsure if this was enough aeration for a cube tank.

Thanks for the link on quarantine, but I am aware of how to quarantine. The fish was purchased from a local goldfish breeder, came from quarantine, and already treated for parasites. That wasn't the topic of my post.

I think there are too many factors to decide if the airstone is necessary. I don't use one and have never needed one until this autumn. My tank developed green water over the summer (perpetual daylight to me) and then the algae began dying off in the winter (perpetual dark). At that point, my fish began suffering I believe from under oxygenation (as all parameters were still testing OK).

Your fish may need one or may not need one but, as Sharon said, they are nice to have on hand.

I find that i dont need an airstone except in the summer when its hot.

They sit at the top and gulp air because there isnt enough o2 in the water.

But in the fall/winter/spring i dont need one.

Watch your fish and they can tell you if they need one/ dont need one.

Good luck!

I personally don't use one, because I get tons of surface agitation with my filters and open-top tank, but I might in your instance just to be certain :) I'd just get a little one to thread down into a corner of the tank. But that's purely me working on my "Couldn't Hurt!" philosophy :)

Usually it's good to have an airstone\airwand in tanks that are longer, so you have more even aeration and there are no stagnant spots. Aquaclears make pretty decent aeration, I like the little micro bubbles they distribute in the water. :) How the 406 in terms of aeration? Does it use a spraybar?

If you're a bit tight on money (aeration comes with a lot of different components, the air pump itself may run $10 or up if you get a bigger model) just decreasing the water level in your tank a bit and setting the AC30 on maximum flow if you haven't already will probably make a big difference! :)

In terms of aesthetics of the airstone, I think bubble wands are much more discreet than air stones and make a very beautiful "curtain affect" of bubbles, and getting clear tubing will help a ton. Also, if you have substrate or decorations they can easily be hidden.

Posting a pic of your whole setup would help, too.

I don't use an airline on any of my tanks (except for my fry tank to power the sponge filter). Good filtration is much more important. But I do agree with Georgia that extra aeration is helpful in long tanks to prevent "dead zones." This can be accomplished with an airstone or an extra filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

airstones are nice, and are definitely one of those things where if the sound and look doesn't bother you, I would use one. I think they are great for keeping movement in the tank like Shawn said (especially wands that run the tank length). That said, I don't use one any more. As long as you have decent surface movement from your filters you should be alright without it.

airstones are nice, and are definitely one of those things where if the sound and look doesn't bother you, I would use one. I think they are great for keeping movement in the tank like Shawn said (especially wands that run the tank length). That said, I don't use one any more. As long as you have decent surface movement from your filters you should be alright without it.

I did get one when I started out. However, I have a fish that will eat the bubbles and start floating when I have it on so I removed it.

Which caused the surface gulping and bubble eating to stop. I assume this fish was fed flakes in the store and thought any bubbles on the surface were food.

I would however keep a bubble wall in my tank if I could. But only because I think it's pretty. I don't really think my tank need more aeration.

Thanks for all the help. My fish seem perfectly fine without one. I had read about toxic gas building up in dead zones in the tank and was worried since I have a tall tank. Not sure how true this is. I feel more comfortable not having the air stone now as there is a lot of water movement in my tank. I'll post pictures of my tank in another post soon, once I take decent pictures. It's a hard tank to photograph.

My son loves his bubble wall, but this is only for his and not the fish's benefit. Air pumps and air stones contribute to more ambient noise, so if your tank is in a bedroom or near the TV you will hear a difference.

In your case I would think about adding a couple of powerheads instead. These water pumps are silent, will promote circulation of water in dead spots and use very little energy (3-5 watts each). For my small tanks I use water fountain pumps, but you can find larger ones. I use some bicycle inner tube around the intake that allows me to add a small sponge, resulting in less clogging due to veggie material. These sponges do need to be cleaned at each water change.

I know it is OT and as Shakaho has recommended, I trust no breeder or fish store and QT all new fish for at least 4 weeks. The last time I did not QT I got a case of ich in my comminuty tank and though I learned a lot about the use of salt I did not like the work or experience.