Fancy genetics

Abyss

I don't know a whole lot about fancy goldfish genetics, I'm wondering if any if you do!

I have eggs and fry from my pair of black moors and I am wondering what kind of traits the babies will have. Will they all have telescope eyes and be black? Or can they have different characteristics?

Nobody knows a "whole lot" about fancy goldfish genetics, and that includes breeders with substantial background in genetics. It's incredibly complicated. However if you mate a pair of the common varieties fancy goldfish of the same variety and color, the majority of the offspring will be of the same variety, although not always the same color. Your babies are likely to be mostly black moors, but you might get almost anything.

One thing that you can tell with tiny fry is whether they have double or single tails. Just look at them from the top. It's very obvious. Telescope eyes develop later, and color can change throughout life.

I have eggs and fry from my pair of black moors and I am wondering what kind of traits the babies will have. 1. Will they all have telescope eyes and be black? 2. Or can they have different characteristics?

congratulations.

1. as telescope eye is considered to be a a recessive trait crossing two , yours male and felmale, should produce nearly all telescope eye baby, only exceptions are some physical problems that do not "pop".

2.. yes a few can be "wild" no eyes , single tail , and grey green color.but beautiy of breeding blackmoor is that race is very firmly fixed and produce good offspring easy.

Edited by mikroll

Great I'm very exited, the one fry that has hatched and is a few days older than the other unhatched eggs is way to small still to see a tail fin, I can even tell that he has fins of any kind yet, ill have to wait it out, oh btw do you think a 20gallon is ok for the fry while they are juvies? That's all I have available.

... think a 20gallon is ok for the fry while they are juvies? That's all I have available.

20 gallon is an excellent size, in begining babys can do very well in a small bowl even as small as a tea cup as long as water quality is maintained!

Ok good happy that 20g is good. I think it would be neat to get a baby that looks like the wild Prussian carp. Definitely would be neat as long as I get at least one black moor looking fish

• 3 weeks later...