One bitty fry

Abyss

My tank is a 20g with a light layer of pool filter sand on the bottom, I have a large piece of Malaysian driftwood in there with 2 pieces of java fern attached in 2 places, I have 2 pieces if water sprite floating on the top, and canopy has 2 t8 10,000k daylight bulbs on. I'm turning them on at 8:00am and off at around 8:30pm. I have one large sponge filter that I'm cleaning in tank water every week and a half.

I put a pantyhose on my syphon when doing water changes and to clean the sand so I'm not sucking anything major up, this week past though I couldn't do a sand cleaning because I had to place 25 newly hatched fry in there and most were still hanging or on the bottom of the tank. Finally this week some new fry are swimming around with the older ones. I have 5 older ones, on Christmas Day they will be 1month and I'm not sure how many newbies from the 25 I think I've been seeing around 12-15 at least. I'm going to wait till this weekend to do a thourough sand cleaning without the nylon carefully. (I'm always double checking the water before I dump)

I'm feeding morning feeds 1/3 of a cube of hakari frozen bbs at around 8:00, lunch of first bites around 12-1pm and supper of frozen bbs at 5:30pm. All with a scoop of tank water with the food dissolved then added to tank with a turkey baster. My levels are fine I think the BB are eating up most of the debris, and I'm sure plants are helping. I did lose a fair amount of new fry but I think most were deformed because they weren't swimming well.

I'm not dosing with anything I'm going the natural route, I can't have like 100 fry anyways I'd never find homes. The older guys seem very healthy andd eating away and aren't bothered by the new batch at all. I do 2x weekly water changes of about 70%, the same amount and frequency that I do with my main tank.

Only change I will be making this coming weekend is buying adult bbs for the larger ones, so every feed i will be putting adult ones into the mix for the larger ones.

I'm feeling optimistic and love watching them grow, I'm starting to see small little dorsals on the older fry :)

How is yours Goldie?

Edited by Abyss

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few new pics from the spawns, some pics of the parent fish and of the new tank rescape, I apologize for the grainyness of the iPod photos and if photobucket puts them upsides own on me :)

image_zps8517224b.jpg

I've only lost 3 fry from the whole batch (batch meaning 3 different spawns with a few weeks in between each spawn)(spawn 1 was the surprise with hatched fry already found, spawn 2 had 5 hatched fry, spawn 3 had 18 fry if I'm estimating right lol hard to keep track of that many) 2 of which were because of deformities and one just up and disappeared. So far so good, I'm going to prazipro them when they are a bit older (around 2 months or so)

Edited by Abyss

My tech wiz son just walked in the room. looked at the screen and asked why all of your photos are inverted lol. How can he tell???

I can't seem to get any luck with the fungus issue. I lost one batch, all of them save for one. The next batch, none hatched. This batch, it looks like 2 may still be okay. What am I missing? It's so frustrating. They go into clean fresh water. I remove any eggs that start to show signs of fungus. Are you losing any eggs to fungus?

I don't have any eggs now, I didn't get a chance to save any from the 4th spawn they ate all of them. I had the eggs in a Tupperware container with a piece of plant matter, I'd use a turkey baster to collect eggs and clean out the container each morning and fill it with the tank water from the main tank. Every evening I'd skim the water and remove bits with the baster too.

I had a few white eggs each morning that I'd see and remove but didn't have much of an issue with fungus, even had a few eggs that were spawned together go the distance and hatch even though I've read that the ones that stick together usually get fungus. The fungus thing did freak me out but I've yet to use any medication and they seem to be doing fine. Remember there is always going to be at least a few deaths, even if you do the best you can.

Yay happy day! I can't believe it but now my new

little Rukia is spawning with my moor Mr. Bubbles lol I've already gathered 9 that I could easily and there are tons more in the tank, I'm going to wait it out and see if some develop further before I take them out, I'm do happy because I had though when I bought her that she was a girl, but wasn't 100% she was only like quarter sized when I got her a fe months ago. I hoping that her eggs are viable because I'm sure she's no more than a year old. She's so beautiful I'm excited at the thought of what a black moor x ryukin cross looks like, anyone have any pictures of that cross? I've tried to look it up but can't find any do they usually look like black ryukins?!

Ill keep you posted :)

image_zps2e300c91.jpg

Bah! Another Upsidedown grr sorry ppl

Happy to announce, a fry hatched today from my moor/ryukin spawn so waiting for the others to come and 'hang out' lols.

I started off with 1 fry from my Zip&Mr.Bubbles (2 black moors) spawn I'm calling spawn Z-01 then had 6 fry a week later from their second spawn Z-02, then a week later had one more batch spawn Z-03. Finally they were done lols.

After a period of growing I had 5 larger sized fry so either I lost the first single fry somehow (Z-01) or I lost one from (Z-02) so I have removed poor single fry and amalgamated them to keep track of ages. I know have 5 larger fry called spawn Z-02 doing great and thriving, I have not yet done any prazipro pro and have not yet until thry turn 2 months of age.

I haven't been able to manage on counting the spawn Z-03 yet because they are still small and super hard to count when hatched there was 25 I think but I lost some due to crooked spines and deformities, I'm happy with the natural cull I'd rather let nature take its course I don't have room to house hundreds of fry just nice strong healthy ones with good immune systems hehe. I know there are around 9-14 of them that I can try counting.

Lastly I have one more spawn my newest ryukin Rukia finally matured enough I guess and wanted some action lols so she dropped just a few clutches which I was surprised about. My hubby one sat morning was like 'did you notice the moor chasing the other fish this time?' I was like ?!waaaat!? So managed to save a few from each clutch I'm calling R-01 (each code describing the first letter of the female which dropped the eggs). I was really excited about her spawn because she is a red&white ryukin and he is a black moor so the fry should be interesting looking if they make it.. I really hope thry do! Ill keep you posted with a bunch of pics this weekend coming ;)

Edited by Abyss

Oh ya ages now are Z-02 will be 1 month on Christmas, Z-03 a week after Christmas they will turn 1 month. Can't post an accurate age of the newest batch till they are all hatched then I go from that date. XD

Congratulations. I only have one fry left from the August spawning; he has a deformed tail but I couldn't cull him with just one left!

I wish I'd had the prazi to treat them at 2 weeks as was recommended by Koko's. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of any and had a massive die-off soon after; only this one survived. You may want to treat earlier than 2 months to prevent this from happening; it was very sad for me to watch 95% of my fry die within days of each other. :-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Congratulations. I only have one fry left from the August spawning; he has a deformed tail but I couldn't cull him with just one left!

I wish I'd had the prazi to treat them at 2 weeks as was recommended by Koko's. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of any and had a massive die-off soon after; only this one survived. You may want to treat earlier than 2 months to prevent this from happening; it was very sad for me to watch 95% of my fry die within days of each other. :-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That sucks Amanda. I did two rounds of Prazi at one week old. It was scary lol. I only had one fry hatch. I am super protective. So sorry about the die off...so disappointing.

Oh ya ages now are Z-02 will be 1 month on Christmas, Z-03 a week after Christmas they will turn 1 month. Can't post an accurate age of the newest batch till they are all hatched then I go from that date. XD

Ii keep forgetting when Gary hatched and have to use my thread as reference...bad mommy.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on the 5 fry from the second spawning (Z-02), they are the first batch that hatched after I found my single fry the first time which I have desided disappeared a long time ago. These 5 fry are doing well, there are 4 that have a deeper black hue to them and one with a silverish-green hue. They just got an upgrade from their old diggs, from the 20g grow out with all the other 5 batches of younger fry of different she's to a brand new 25g with amenities galore lol enjoy, p.s., .... Don't mind the Sesame Street my daughter was watching it whole I filmed :P

Edited by Abyss

They look amazing Girl! They look huge compared to my single hatchling. We lost him 2 days ago. He seemed to have stopped growing for about 2 weeks, so I think he was "runty". He was so much work. I was gonna start a new thread, but I think my old one jinxed me. lol I have about 23ish fry from Gary's parents, chocolate oranda and copper fantail. With my luck, I could lose them all, but I am on this like a parasite lol. It's much easier putting in all the work for 23 rather than 1. The difference with this batch, since I lose all my eggs around day 3-4, is I left them in the cold main tank until day 6 and then removed them knowing there were 24 hours or so before they hatched. My husband even caught a hatchling with a turkey baster and saved him lol. I'm doing 4 rounds of Prazi this time. That may have been my problem.

You have some crazy awesome crosses going on. Can't wait to see the Ryukin/moors! can you imagine a black Ryukin! OMG!!!! If you get some out of it, I am driving to your house to get one lol!

Sesame Street: Have you heard Cookie Monster is becoming Veggie Monster? Weird...

So sorry to hear Sarah, you're definitely welcome to come get some... As many as you would like bit I doubt you're up for the 18hours or so of driving the get here lol.. Ill post some pics of the ryukin/moors if that is I can tell them apart, not sure ill be able to, ill keep u posted.

Veggie monster... Waaaa?

Btw got a question for u about qt tank, after u move your fish out of it is it best to keep it running? I turned off the heater and lights and bubbles but left the filter on to cycle it sing its s new qt tank, that good?

So sorry to hear Sarah, you're definitely welcome to come get some... As many as you would like bit I doubt you're up for the 18hours or so of driving the get here lol.. Ill post some pics of the ryukin/moors if that is I can tell them apart, not sure ill be able to, ill keep u posted.

Veggie monster... Waaaa?

Btw got a question for u about qt tank, after u move your fish out of it is it best to keep it running? I turned off the heater and lights and bubbles but left the filter on to cycle it sing its s new qt tank, that good?

If you don't have anything creating waste in the tank, the cycle will be interrupted. What I do is let it go and when I need it, I transfer one of the other established filters into it. Are you going to need it again soon? When my ranchus were small, I wanted to keep a qt cycled for a couple of weeks (25 gallon) so I put one of them in to keep the waste coming. Who was in qt?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep they are getting huge and fast and they eat like crazy, I put a few fry from the later spawns in with the larger 5, sadly I lost many of them to the AC filter intake I was horrified... They don't seem to have an issue wasting the adult brine shrimp I'm giving the larger ones, they eat the little bits and the crushed NLS at the bottom if the tank.

There are still some smaller ones in a seperate tank as well.

My hubby gave me my birthday prest early today! It's a 130g tank its massive lol. Got my Tahitian moon sand and an idea if what I'm going to do. It's going to take a while to setup so I really hope my adults will be ok in the bucket for an hour or so, I'm going to put an airstone in there for them and it'd not that small of a bucket.

I'm thinking about putting my juvies in the tank tomorrow with my adults, hopefully it works out. Just my larger 5 will be going in with the adults.

Still crappy iPod photos but ill share :)

How are yours doing?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalknyba9egy.jpgama3epu2.jpgasypuzup.jpgru2a3yde.jpgratuqe2u.jpgzu2upugu.jpgbuju6eve.jpg

I didn't realize that there was going to be such a colour difference with having 2 black moors... If the larger juvies I have 2 solid black ones, 1 greyish silver and 2 that are really light coloured with pinkish faces, I'm not to informed on the wild coloured fish do I'm not sure, I'm wondering that the grey and beigy silver ones will grow up to look like, it looks like their eyes might be not as protruding as the black ones as well.

Amongst all of them my favorite is the pinkish one, its way bigger than my others and has been the biggest the whole time. I most likely will be keeping that one!

Edited by Abyss

YOU GOT YOUR TANK!!!! It's even bigger than what you wanted:) YAY! No more hunting:) I got a line on a 6 foot long 100 gallon. Just waiting for a reply (with baited breath). lol. Where are you putting it?

Mine are all dead. I almost have to laugh at this point. I had a huge guy that looked perfect. Got up one morning and he was dead. No sign of anything...so I'm going to take a break from all the work, it's been almost 3 months of non-stop fry. I'll try again in the Spring. Still can't figure out what the problem is...

It's almost shocking to see them so big. They are beautiful! You've done a fantastic job! I can't wait to raise some fishies to that size. Are you keeping all of them for your monster tank?

I haven't completely decided some ppl in here thinks its ok and some don't. I can't decide. The pic doesn't do it justice it takes up our whole wall Rolf. I'm sorry to hear that hun, I wish u luck if u do try again in the future. It is alot of work when u have to give most of them away or sell them in the end. I can't wait till my smaller tanks are gone actually I'm sick if all the upkeep.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk